Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Freshman User

Dead Meat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Truck takes too long to warm up

Well today is the first cold day I drove my truck since I bought it. I noticed it takes a while to warm up. It'll get a little above the C line within 5 minutes of running, but then won't go much higher than that, even when driving. The heat is luke warm, and I noticed, when I parked it at the gas station and kept it running, the heat got a bit hotter. I'm pretty sure the thermostat is stuck open. Would anything else cause this? It's getting a bit chilly here in MI, need to get this fixed.

If it is the thermostat, is it pretty easy? I've only done thermostat work on chevy's. The motor is a 4.9 I6.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2009, 07:27 AM
Posting Guru

DBGrif91 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DBGrif91 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
A stuck thermostat could be the cause. You might also be looking at plugged or at least partially clogged lines going to the heater core.

See if a new thermostat does any good- if not, then I'd recommend flushing the cooling system. Sorry but I can't help you out on how difficult it is to change as I don't have any experience with your particular size motor.
"Official Project Stages: (1) Uncritical Acceptance. (2) Wild Enthusiasm (3) Dejected Disillusionment. (4) Total Confusion. (5) Search for the Guilty. (6) Punishment of the Innocent. (7) Promotion of the Non-participants."
-Unknown
Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Senior User

nextalcupfan is starting off with a positive reputation.
the thermostat on a I6 is right on the top of the engine
ive never had to replace mine but it looks alot easier than a v8
Old 09-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Post Fiend

6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
It's not hard. Can someone please take a picture of it for him? I would do it but my internet is puke (hughes net sucks).

until Lambs become Lions
Add me on FaceBook! https://www.facebook.com/bill.holsinger.5?ref=tn_tnmn
Old 09-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Freshman User

I just bought a new thermostat and gasket and I'll do it tomorrow night probably. I just got done doing the ball joints, u joints, front bearings and seals, so I'm pretty sure I can handle a thermostat replacement. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any tricks or surprises.

I'm pretty sure it's the thermostat, because I am getting heat from the heater core, just not as hot as I think it should be. The temp gauge is what I'm concerned about. Even after running errands for an hour today, it still didn't come up to operating temp. (I'm assuming it should be somewhere in the middle?) So either the thermostat is stuck open or the guage is bad, one of the two...
Old 09-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Senior User

Ricache is starting off with a positive reputation.
A stuck-open thermostat is a lot better than a stuck-closed thermostat

My heater hasn't heated up in a timely fashion either. I just replaced my heater core.

Might have to do the thermostat like you.

I don't have the manual on me but I believe the 'stat is on the block under the valve cover ('89). Here's a PIC.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Ricache's Album: Garage - WIP89I6 - Picture

/Ricache

1989 F150 4.9 I6 Lariat M5R2 202K stock w/70 Flowmaster (Sold).
1997 Ranger XLT 2.3 M5R1 200k stock stepside
Old 09-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Posting Guru

F150xlt has a very good reputation on FTE.F150xlt has a very good reputation on FTE.F150xlt has a very good reputation on FTE.
First picture shows the two bolts that hold the thermostat housing on the front of the head.

Second pic. shows the housing removed.

Third pic. shows the thermostat. Note it sits in a small recess in the housing. The thermostat in the picture is broken. That is why the spring is popped out.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Senior User

Better more detailed pics than than mine and much more graphic! That's a grody 'stat. Probably had other components of the cooling system that looked similar.

/Ricache

Old 09-30-2009, 01:35 PM
Junior User

lillbro11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have an I6 and mine doesn't get above the c on the temperature gauge in 110 degree weather (louisiana). I put an aftermarket gauge and it runs between 140 and 160 in summer and in winter I'm lucky to see 140. I took off my motor fan and put electric so in the winter I can leave them off till it warms up. helps a ton just you can't forget to turn them on.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillbro11 View Post
I have an I6 and mine doesn't get above the c on the temperature gauge in 110 degree weather (louisiana). I put an aftermarket gauge and it runs between 140 and 160 in summer and in winter I'm lucky to see 140. I took off my motor fan and put electric so in the winter I can leave them off till it warms up. helps a ton just you can't forget to turn them on.
Hmm. Anybody else with an I6 have this problem as well?

Thanks for all the pictures!
Old 09-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Post Fiend

quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.
do not break off a bolt.

it will ruin your day.

soak with penetrating spray of your choice.

optionally heat them up.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillbro11 View Post
You have to get that fixed or you will have serious problem in the future. Running a gas motor in that temp range will cause excess wear on the cylinder walls, the combustion chambers aren't hot enough so the motor will produce a lot more carbon, clogging up the cat, exhaust, and EGR system, and your fuel mileage is in the crapper because the engine is always running in open loop.

Your engine needs a working 195 degree thermostat.

"If you want to live in a country that manufactures things, you need to buy things that your country manufactures." - Mike Rowe
Old 09-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklook2 View Post
do not break off a bolt.

it will ruin your day.

soak with penetrating spray of your choice.

optionally heat them up.
Is PB the penetrating spray of choice 'round here?

Don't even want to think about breaking a bolt at the 'stat.

/Ricache

Old 09-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Post Fiend

quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.
195 thermostat is what you need as andy said.

just look at how nasty the pics are of that thermostat and housing.

the bolts don't do any better.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Freshman User

I put the new thermostat in tonight. I haven't fully tested it yet, I ran out of daylight and my g/f had supper ready. But I will see tomorrow on the way to work. For reference, where does the needle on the temp gauge usually sit on your truck?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:48 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1989, 1s, f150, ford, forever, heat, heater, long, luke, stuck, takes, taking, thermostat, truck, warm, wrong