1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Can someone please define "traditional" hot rodding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:57 AM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
I'm a member of the HAMB and have learned a thing or two from it. Trying to define tradition based on the HAMB is an exercise in futility. One fellow will get roasted for putting a non-traditional Chevette engine in his 'rod, the next guy will get ten pages of praise for putting a 4BT Cummins in a Model T. I don't believe ANYONE put a diesel engine in any sort of light vehicle, read HEAVY, in the 40s or 50s. Of course that will start arguments that it is the creativity and craftmanship that is traditional and not the engine?!?

Old 07-24-2012, 07:26 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why does anybody care about labels on what we build. Building one is a very personal creative endeavor that you are totally in charge of (given monetary and spousal restraints). Personally, I don't really care what others think about what I choose to do in my truck. I love being in the Forum which often times helps me with my choices, but I am ultimately guided by what I want to do. "hot rodding" did not begin with somebody worried about what others thought, most probably initially thought the guy was crazy. The best at what we do are artists, there are no restraints or limits in true art.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:45 AM
liljohn320
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Can't we all get along"

Old 07-24-2012, 11:32 AM
52flathead
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by thendrix
I posted this question on the HAMB and it got deleted rather quickly. My question is, what does "traditional" or "old school" mean when talking about hot rodding? If it means sticking to things that have been done in the past, then that to me means copying someone elses work. If it means doing things your own way, then how can it be considered "traditional" or "old school" if it is something new?

How can someone look at a 60 year old truck and say it's not "traditional" because it has a modern drivetrain or modern comforts, and then look at a model T or model A with a 50's or 60's drivetrain and comforts from that era and say that it is "traditional"? What is the difference?

Personally I think the whole idea of a "traditional" hot rod is an excuse for doing things the same way as someone else.

Anybody have a definition or want to tear me a new one over this? Have at it.
To answer your question ,old school,traditional, hotrod, etc. changes with time. When the term was first started I was a teenager. At that time it meant ( you went down to the junk yard and pick up an old ford or merc. with a flattie in it, 90 percent of the parts you used you got at the junk yard or you made them. Thats what it meant " at that time ".
So you if fast forward to today using the same idea, go to the junk yard and buy an old junk car , and mostly parts that are there, to ME that would be old school hot rodding . It's just a term nothing more. Allen Freid came up with the term Rock and Roll in the 50's , it was the sound at that time. To me rock and roll died on 1964 with the beatles. To the teenagers in 64 it was rock and roll. I not going to give a name to whats on the radio today.
If you look at my car I built in 1961 is it a hot rod ? Yes , is it old school? No. It's an old junk body from a junk yard and a hand built frame and with a full race brand new engine . To ME
Best advice I can give you build what you want and let people call it whatever they like.
chris