Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A New Record For My "X"

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Cardiac69
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the low fuel light came on, 6 gallons is what I had left, and it probably is pretty thin in the tank like Joe said.
To get this kind of MPG out of the X, I have the tires inflated to 72 front/75 rear, keep clean air and fuel filters in place,
accelerated gently, and try not to exceed 65mph. Doing all of the above, I get my 13.8 mpg figure. Is it worth it?
Probably not, with fuel at $2.17 a gallon (And still dropping). Just trying to do my duty for the "green" people (Yeah right, with an X)

Old 10-01-2009, 04:19 PM
katiesdad7
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The air filter has no effect on milage. All engines today have a mass air flow sensor that adjusts the fuel injection automatically. It's not like the old cars. The same would go for the fuel filter.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Cardiac69
Elder User
Originally Posted by katiesdad7
The air filter has no effect on milage. All engines today have a mass air flow sensor that adjusts the fuel injection automatically. It's not like the old cars. The same would go for the fuel filter.
If you have a filter that is clogged (Like here in Indiana with cottonwood fluffies), then I have to disagree with you. They can be almost completely clogged with crap we have floating around here, and that can't be good for mileage.... (No?)

Old 10-02-2009, 08:27 AM
idahof350
Freshman User
With nothing more than a K&N drop in, a custom tune I did myself, and stock tire pressures, I got 13.1 hand calc in August, going with the flow of traffic and paying no attention to minding 65. I'm pretty sure that an air intake and exhaust, E-rated tires, 3.73s and synthetics can push that number well over 14, maybe closer to 15 hwy.

A friend of mine and I are installing a Paxton Novi 2000 on his V10 F-250. We're going on the theory that with greater power will come greater efficiency, and in turn better fuel economy. Perhaps not on par with diesels, but better than stock V10s.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Cardiac69
Elder User
Originally Posted by idahof350
With nothing more than a K&N drop in, a custom tune I did myself, and stock tire pressures, I got 13.1 hand calc in August, going with the flow of traffic and paying no attention to minding 65. I'm pretty sure that an air intake and exhaust, E-rated tires, 3.73s and synthetics can push that number well over 14, maybe closer to 15 hwy.

A friend of mine and I are installing a Paxton Novi 2000 on his V10 F-250. We're going on the theory that with greater power will come greater efficiency, and in turn better fuel economy. Perhaps not on par with diesels, but better than stock V10s.

Maybe if he can keep his foot out of it!!

Old 10-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Dave Brawley
Junior User
WIth a supercharger, you pay a drag (turning the blower)cost that may hurt your overall mileage, but the POWER.... is worth it.....giddey up!!

Old 10-02-2009, 02:07 PM
idahof350
Freshman User
Dismiss it if you like, but I've had more superchargers in the past 18 years than a lot of you have had cars or trucks. The fact of the matter is that because of the 4.30s in most of these V10s the supercharger is moving enough air at 55+ mph to significantly impact part throttle operation. You'll see higher air flow numbers at very low throttle opening.
It only takes 15-20hp to drive the supercharger at that point, and because of the positive pressure on the front of the throttle blades, the air flow into the engine will be higher even with vacuum showing on the manifold side. It's no different than the effects of elevation and atmospheric conditions, which significantly alters power production. An increase in the barometer from 29.5 to 30.5 can and will result in a change of 20-25hp in our V10s! That's only 0.5psi of positive pressure change on the front of the throttle body, and as much as 1-2psi of positive pressure is not uncommon with such a large compressor at low throttle, even with a bypass valve in the system.
But this is a discussion for another thread and not on topic to the OP's post.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:46 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
idaho,

I think the comments are more geared towards...having all that power and not using it and thus lowering your overall mpgs...it is akin to seeing a knock out drop dead stacked blonde walking down the street with your wife in the Ex next to you and 'not sneaking a peak' in the rear-view mirror! Having all that power at your little foot all the time...how do you stay out of it and save fuel...it is intoxicating just like that stacked blonde wiggling/bouncing down the sidewalk...that I believe are the questions/thoughts on our end?

Good write up and rationale in your post...I like your theory/argument though...I just wish there was a good roots style blower for the 2V V10...as for towing I'm not interested WOT power curves...for me, I want low RPM grunt the roots style gives you...

Joe.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:01 AM
idahof350
Freshman User
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
idaho,

I think the comments are more geared towards...having all that power and not using it and thus lowering your overall mpgs...it is akin to seeing a knock out drop dead stacked blonde walking down the street with your wife in the Ex next to you and 'not sneaking a peak' in the rear-view mirror! Having all that power at your little foot all the time...how do you stay out of it and save fuel...it is intoxicating just like that stacked blonde wiggling/bouncing down the sidewalk...that I believe are the questions/thoughts on our end?

Good write up and rationale in your post...I like your theory/argument though...I just wish there was a good roots style blower for the 2V V10...as for towing I'm not interested WOT power curves...for me, I want low RPM grunt the roots style gives you...

Joe.
But the result you desire also comes at a lower initial cost, offers better reliability, greater longevity, improved efficiency and is called a diesel....I like my V10 a lot, I like my 6.0L more.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:07 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by idahof350
But the result you desire also comes at a lower initial cost, offers better reliability, greater longevity, improved efficiency and is called a diesel....I like my V10 a lot, I like my 6.0L more.

im sorry but, how do the words reliablity and 6.0 even go in the same post? isnt that a oximoron(sp)? i know there are upgrades..ect which can make them somewhat reliable. but stock to stock..no way. now if we wanna talk 7.3 then i'm in full agreement. my grandpas company currenty has 7 2004 6.0 super dutys none with more then 100k, some with less then 40k with blown motors. they never had issues like this with the 7.3s or the few v10s they have.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Skullonarm
Senior User
Low fuel light just came on at 500 miles since fill up. Display says 60 miles to m/t. I drove 28 miles in the city before leaving for Medford ,Oregon, and back to Eureka, Ca. on the same tank of go juice.Last 80 miles have been mostly city miles. I will probably fill up tomorrow to take the family to my kid's soccer game.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:42 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by katiesdad7
Sorry dad, you're wrong. The MAF sensor will regulate the mixture but the condition of the filter will affect MPG. Let's exagerate it; the filter is 80% clogged and the MAF does it'e job to maintain correct air-fuel ratio. outcome; less air+less+gas=less MPG at same RPM. As for the fuel filter, if it's not funtioning correctly the same scenario will occur. Bottom line; It's all got to work to it's maximum potential and there is no simple fix.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:53 AM
idahof350
Freshman User
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
im sorry but, how do the words reliablity and 6.0 even go in the same post? isnt that a oximoron(sp)? i know there are upgrades..ect which can make them somewhat reliable. but stock to stock..no way. now if we wanna talk 7.3 then i'm in full agreement. my grandpas company currenty has 7 2004 6.0 super dutys none with more then 100k, some with less then 40k with blown motors. they never had issues like this with the 7.3s or the few v10s they have.
My point remains, if you have a V-10 and you're looking for more low end torque, you don't need a roots supercharger, you just need a diesel. Doesn't matter which one. You can hate on 6.0Ls all you want, but I bought my Excursion with a nasty rod knock at 104K. The rest of the truck was flawless, so one bad V-10 must mean they're all garbage like you suggest the 6.0s are.

FWIW: I was turning wrenches before you were conceived. You don't have enough knowledge or life experience to pass the kind of judgement you're passing on the 6.0Ls, or any other engine for that matter.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:12 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i'm not saying one bad 6.0 makes them all bad. i'm saying the hundreds. hell maybe if not tens of thousands bad ones.

its just a odds game, if you were to take a gamble you'd have a much higher chance of "winning" with a V10 then a 6.0 i think anyone would bet you that. esp, if you didnt go and spend a bunch of money on new head gaskets, head studs, egr delete..ect ect out of the box, the numbers dont lie the v10 is more reliable and i dont know anyone that could honestly dispute that with facts, and numbers.

say what you like, but i may know alittle more then you think. when a multimillion dollar company, that deals with these trucks and has the numbers to back it up it doesnt matter if your 20 years old or 80, you get the picture pretty quick. this is not taking in account all the info online made by the owners of these trucks.

but then again i know nothing and i'm wrong. your so right thanks for letting me know. i see the world in a whole new light. i owe you.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:17 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree with Alaskan. Judging by all that I have read the v-10 is much more dependable than the 6.0 and you don't have to bend wrenches for thirty years to figure it out.

Quick Reply: A New Record For My "X"