1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need to repair a license plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:49 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need to repair a license plate

All right ladies and gents. I have a 1949 Georgia license plate that I would like to run on my truck. The problem is, I'm not happy with the condition. Now the paint is not a problem. The problem is, there are six holes in it that are not supposed to be there. They look like the right size for a .22 caliber rifle. Anybody got an idea on a good way to fill these? One is on the side of one of the raised numbers so I have to be able to follow the contour. Any suggestions? Pics are in the gallery in the album labeled ideas.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
There are lots of folks who reapir and restore license plates - I loked on line and found a place in Pennsylvania.

The guy told me it would take 6 weeks and cost $400 (three plates and two plastic casts). I sent him the plates and he billed my credit card right away. A year later I had to file a consumer complaint with the Pennsylvania Attorney Generals Office to get my plates back.

He did a great job on them but it was a nightmare.

The business name is "Darryls" and I would definately avoid doing business with him - if he's still in business.

There are a number of other places that could probably fix the plate or cast it (if that's legal in your state) OR, make a reproduction of it.

Good luck

Old 09-28-2009, 11:18 AM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
There is a guy here that restores plates but he charges $70 - $100 depending on the shape it is in. That just seems like a lot of money to me and besides, I want to try it on my own.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:37 PM
EffieFord
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why couldn't you fill the holes with weld and smooth with body filler and then re-paint, same as if you were fixin a hole in the body of a car??

Old 09-28-2009, 07:57 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Warren Bair did one for me in Milwaukee ,Wi. Have another for him to do but that is a ways off . If you need info send a PM .

Old 09-28-2009, 09:05 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by EffieFord
Why couldn't you fill the holes with weld and smooth with body filler and then re-paint, same as if you were fixin a hole in the body of a car??

Hey Melissa. Nice to hear from you again. Been a long time since the f100 show. The only thing I am afraid of with welding is this thing is super thin and I am afraid I would make the holes bigger. That may be my only choice though.

Ah, what the hell. I will try it. Thanks to everybody for their help and if anyone else has a suggestion please feel free to pass it along.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:31 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
Is the metal curled in the back? Should be. I would try and staighten those curled metal out smooth, glass in the back side and just use filler on the front and paint. The welding process might bite you and make you wish you tried something else, the plate looks to be in pretty good condition other than the holes. I think if you took your time you could make it look fairly flawless, keep us posted. I remember my dad hanging all the out dated licence plates on the garage wall when I was a kid and think they were still there when he sold the place, they always looked new and couldn't figure out why he always needed new ones

Old 09-28-2009, 10:45 PM
two56s
Trailering
Greetings!

I used this on-line business in Florida for a duplicate of a black and yellow California license plate.

https://www.licenseplates.tv/index.php

The web site has a feature that allows you to generate an image of the plate you need, so you can see it before ordering. These are likely be considered NOT legal for road use in many states, and they do NOT ship to California. The one I got for a vintage Ford (for show purposes...) was on stamped aluminum (the original is steel), the correct color paints, and a spot-on duplicate of the original rear license plate assigned by DMV. The only difference besides the aluminum base metal was an apostrophe in the right tab well ('63) where the original has none. They are considered concourse correct, they say.

Take a look. I would guess if you replaced the "holy" one with a duplicate, it would look pretty nice...

Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 PM
two56s
Trailering
Oh, I did not think $80 was too cheap, either, but the product is worth every dime, considering what they are asking for vintage, clean license plates at swap meets lately. Add to that the hassle of getting those swap meet nuggets past the DMV for a license number re-assignment on your old iron...

Old 09-29-2009, 01:18 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by two56s
Greetings!

I used this on-line business in Florida for a duplicate of a black and yellow California license plate.

https://www.licenseplates.tv/index.php

The web site has a feature that allows you to generate an image of the plate you need, so you can see it before ordering. These are likely be considered NOT legal for road use in many states, and they do NOT ship to California. The one I got for a vintage Ford (for show purposes...) was on stamped aluminum (the original is steel), the correct color paints, and a spot-on duplicate of the original rear license plate assigned by DMV. The only difference besides the aluminum base metal was an apostrophe in the right tab well ('63) where the original has none. They are considered concourse correct, they say.

Take a look. I would guess if you replaced the "holy" one with a duplicate, it would look pretty nice...
Got these plates made from the same place. They were $75 when I ordered them a few years ago.

Might place an order for the second plate for each. This way it's on the front and back.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:07 AM
EffieFord
Senior User
Originally Posted by thendrix
Hey Melissa. Nice to hear from you again. Been a long time since the f100 show. The only thing I am afraid of with welding is this thing is super thin and I am afraid I would make the holes bigger. That may be my only choice though.
Ha, leave it to me to forget something important like that...it is a little thin to be welding. I dunno much about welding, but I imagine it wouldn't take much heat and if you go reeeeeeeeally slow with it, you might could pull it off. *shrug*

Old 09-29-2009, 10:13 AM
two56s
Trailering
Those are nice!

I have a original '55 panel that I don't need if you know anyone in the Bay area that needs one. I need to get it up on the classifieds.

Lewis

Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by thendrix

Ah, what the hell. I will try it. Thanks to everybody for their help and if anyone else has a suggestion please feel free to pass it along.
Buy an old one at a car parts swap meet to practice on first - might save your plate!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:18 AM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
I also have one from 48 that needs a little TLC. I may try it first. Thanks everyone for the help. If I botch the first one I will try the having it done route.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Hey Ilya,

Can I ask a stupid question? How come you had the guy make you a 63 plate instead of a 51 plate (and get a tag)?

Quick Reply: Need to repair a license plate