First Time Noob post

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:16 PM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seam sealer

Originally Posted by devino246
Your welds look pretty good. Welding old metal is never easy. Are you planning on putting any seam sealer over those welds?
Yeah I'm going to put seam sealer on the welds.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:37 PM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

Hardkasedaddy you mentioned something about manual brakes and steering??? Don't do it. I got lots of tips and info and how to do it right and where to find the key parts..[/quote]

3/16 plate floors. I looove it! 73 Ford Guy, did you fab the cab mounts with 3/16 plate? They look really heavy duty.
Overkill is just underrated. I'd be interested in viewing the information you have found on setting up armstrong steering on your ride. I'd have to classify my non-power ideas as a passing fancy that I'm more likely to abandon. I'm in Chemainus visiting family this weekend, so no new adjustments to the truck.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:50 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I made the cab corners from some extra material left over from my bumpers.
I was in Chemainus last Sunday and I picked up a complete 79 f250 with a 1 ton dana 60 front axle for $700!
As for my steering it's more than enough for you. Mine use to be manual steering but here's what I did.
Installed a Dana 60 front end, mounted a crossover steering arm on passenger knuckle for crossover with a custom braket made to run a much better style saginaw pump, then used a 2wd 73-79 p/s box that was mounted on the inside of frame with a welded in plate with 3 holes to match then I tapped the box in key spots to install hydraulic fittings to run hydro assist that has a ram mounted off the front diff cover.
Put it this way I turn 44's on dry cement with no whine from pump!!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:42 PM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

Originally Posted by 73 ford guy
I was in Chemainus last Sunday and I picked up a complete 79 f250 with a 1 ton dana 60 front axle for $700!
Ah man! you beat me to it. ... Actually I'm not bringing more big stuff home right now until my current project is done. Thanks for the info on the power assist steering setup. If you happen to run across a set of good 460 D0VE heads on the Island in your travels shoot me a PM... I want to let my 460 breath a little better.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:19 PM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

More Floors

I finally finished welding in the floors. Got my other side on the cab welded in, ground, and sealed with that brushable seam sealer. Yeash!!! That seam sealer is goopy stuff. None-the-less I'm feeling pretty good about my progress.

I have some more clean up on the back part of the floor... then I will grind, sand, and prep the cab for a coat of polyurethane primer. Still don't know which color to go with on the finished coat.

Attached Images   
Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that Sikaflex??
Does it smell like a chocolate milkshake??

Lol

Old 08-13-2011, 05:12 PM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

Guess what I found?

I think the picture says it all. Check these out.

Attached Images   
Old 09-02-2011, 12:41 PM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

So I'm looking for a kit for my new pre smog heads. I pretty well need everything: springs, exh & Int valves, keepers, shims, ect... I tried to talk to the local Lordco shop and they could only order the parts individually ($$$). The Lordco guy seemed to want to get me to let them send the heads out to a machine shop for me, but I want to build the heads myself (Not to mention I already have a local machine shop I like to deal with).

I looked into it at Summit online and saw some kits that looked like they would work. BUt ordering stuff from Summit is a big hassle (and extra $$) for shipping for me because I live in Canada.

Has anyone in Canada had success ordering a 460 head rebuild kit for a reasonable price. Summit's kit cost about 175 USD for one head. With Lordco it would have been over 350-400 CAD to buy all the parts individually. And I think some of the parts they could get were not really what I want.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:58 PM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

back to the cab

I've got some heat and noise reducing paint on order from a nearby KMS tools. I've been finishing up the prep for the floor and firewall on my replacement cab.

AND for a little levity, here's a pic of my son and I taking a break to pose for the camera and make truck noises in the cab.

Attached Images   
Old 10-30-2011, 02:40 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sure looks like its coming along! the 76 I drove when i was 16 had a DOVE 460, and man that thing was a beast. sure I knew of a good spot for the parts for those heads, but I really don't outside of mail order and your local parts store. but ordering your own parts all you would really need the machin shop to handle on the heads is the stuff like milling and grinding the seats simply because you gotta have the tools to do that. I will keep my eyes open though.

love the father/son picture though! sure wish I had some of those with my dad!

Old 11-07-2011, 11:03 PM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

Al's liner Heat n Noise Reducer

Well I had at the truck tonight with a bucket of Al's Liner Heat and Noise Reducer. I applied it with a roller to the floor and firewall inside the cab. Man that stuff was thick and goopy. The up side is that it all cleaned up with water when I was done. I think I will apply a second coat tomorrow as it says in the instructions that a good thick application works for reducing noise and heat in the cab. The manufacturer says the optimal way of using this stuff is to apply their box liner over top of it. We'll see if I decide to drop a c-note for a bucket of Al's box liner. I'm thinking of just priming over it and applying paint.

Has anyone out there had any experience with this product. I'm kinda going on faith from the advertising that this stuff will work. For 62 bux I figure it probably won't be a disaster.

Attached Images    
Old 11-13-2011, 06:02 PM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

Rust removal techniques

I've been de-rusting some parts from the truck in a molasses bath. It works... but it's slow. I got impatient and built a small electolysis unit for some of the other parts. Man it works faster than the molasses.

Don't get me wrong... I like the molasses bath but sometimes I just want stuff done sooner.

Here's the link from another FTE thread for the electrolysis:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ctrolysis.html

and the webpage that explains it all.

Rust Removal using Electrolysis

For the more patient people out there here's the molasses technique thread I found on the FTE site:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...t-removal.html

Man I really appreciate this site. So many people with so many cool ideas for getting stuff done.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:00 AM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

I made an impulse buy for the truck. a brand new never been out of the box 8 track player. Man I am stoked. It is gonna look great in the cab.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:53 AM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Awesome build you got here HardkaseDaddy. I can't wait to see this truck get finished. What is the deal with the 8 track player ?

Old 01-22-2012, 04:31 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cause sometimes ya just gotta have stuff. I bought a dent free grill off a 68+ truck and I don't even own one from those years. Yet.

How's the cab coming along Hardcase?

Quick Reply: First Time Noob post