6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Engine brake on 2011 6.7 diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Montanan SD
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine brake on 2011 6.7 diesel?

Hey guys, does anyone know if the new powerstroke comes with an integrated engine brake? I remember reading somewhere that the new dodge and chevy/gm were integrating engine brakes into their trucks and I thought I read ford was doing it as well in the tow/haul mode but I don't remember seeing it in the official press release.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:04 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
It does have engine braking as standard equipment.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:14 AM
glsurratt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Short answer - YES!!

From Ford Media Center's Truck Technologies:

Hill Descent Control
• Using technologies of Ford’s AdvanceTrac® with RSC (Roll Stability Control™), the driver can control the speed of hill descent without applying the brakes, even in reverse.
• The speed is set for the truck to descend a hill by pushing a button, allowing the driver to concentrate on driving rather than modulating the brakes on a steep decline.
Hill Start Assist
Prevents a vehicle from rolling back on a grade by maintaining brake pressure until the engine delivers enough torque to move the vehicle up the hill, providing improved driver confidence, comfort and safety.
• Works the same way if the vehicle is nose down on an incline. As the driver transitions to the accelerator pedal, the brake pressure is relieved in a controlled manner.
Tow Haul Mode
Changes shift points under acceleration, keeping the truck at a higher rpm and further up in the power range.
• Interacts with the brakes to provide a downshift for better control when traveling down a grade.
• Gives the driver the opportunity to downshift with a quick tap of the brake pedal to control downhill speeds, using engine-compression braking to slow the vehicle and maintain a steady speed.
Trailer Sway Control
Trailer Sway Control uses the technologies of Ford’s AdvanceTrac with RSC (Roll Stability Control) to provide an additional layer of confidence and control while towing.
• When the system detects the trailer yawing in one direction, it applies selective brake pressure on the tow vehicle’s opposite side – called asymmetric braking. This creates counter-moments to the forces applied on the vehicle from the trailer, dampens the yaw motion and helps reduce the sway.
• Trailer Sway Control also can reduce engine power as part of its trailersway mitigation strategy.
• Designed to work even when trailers have no braking systems, and requires no hardware to be added/adapted to the trailer.
• A factory-installed and warranted electronic trailer brake controller offers smoother and safer operation due to its ability to interface with multiple vehicle systems, and no aftermarket trailer brake controller has the same level
of functionality.
• Normal braking is proportional to driver brake pressure for smooth brake stops at all speeds. If the vehicle’s Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) engages, a special trailer brake strategy kicks in to minimize the potential for trailer wheel lock up.
• An industry-first, Trailer Sway Control, on vehicles equipped with the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller and a properly equipped trailer, will use the knowledge of trailer connection and integrate the trailer’s brakes into the system to mitigate trailer sway even more quickly and effectively.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Montanan SD
Junior User
Thanks guy's, I did find it I also read it again last night in the motor trend article. I am very glad to see this as standard equipment since they discontinued the 6 speed manual transmission for 250s and 350s. I know automatic transmissions have come a long ways in recent years but as a former heavy hauler I still trust a manual transmission more.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:28 PM
bocomojoe
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I've read i think that one of the tranny modes will be a fully manual gear selection and locked converter. I hope I'm not wrong.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:40 PM
IHpuller450
Junior User
pushing a button still isnt the same as jamming that stick around though... I wonder if anyone will make an aftermarket conversion kit to put a stick in it, it would be a electronic nightmire but just some food for thought.