Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need to put the mod list in order

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:15 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Need to put the mod list in order

I've tried to read a lot about the common mods and better understand them. I'm trying to put the mod list in order. Keep in mind, this is our work rig and the most important thing is longevity. I do experience turbo surge after the 6637. Hopefully I can start plugging through the mod list this winter.

Mods on the list:

In-tank mods
Wicked wheel
Pedestal o-rings
Boot kit
International bellowed up-pipes
4" exhaust
CCK
HPX
Gauges
AIH Delete

Pipedream mod list:

Adrenalin HPOP
Ball Bearing Turbo
Tuner

Should I install a turbo rebuild kit when I go ahead and install a WW and the pedestal o-rings? Does everything need to be checked for balance after the install, sort of like a wheel and tire? Any other common mod suggestions to add to the list?

Old 09-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
feel how much play is in the turbo. If there is a lot then go ahead and rebuild it and get it balanced. If it feels nice and tight... just stick the wheel on there.

by the way you could get the whole mod list from Clay at Riffraff Diesel. Shoot him an email. sales@riffraffdiesel.com

Old 09-25-2009, 10:34 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re

Originally Posted by mechelement
I've tried to read a lot about the common mods and better understand them. I'm trying to put the mod list in order. Keep in mind, this is our work rig and the most important thing is longevity. I do experience turbo surge after the 6637. Hopefully I can start plugging through the mod list this winter.

Mods on the list:

In-tank mods
Wicked wheel
Pedestal o-rings
Boot kit
International bellowed up-pipes
4" exhaust
CCK
HPX
Gauges
AIH Delete

Pipedream mod list:

Adrenalin HPOP
Ball Bearing Turbo
Tuner

Should I install a turbo rebuild kit when I go ahead and install a WW and the pedestal o-rings? Does everything need to be checked for balance after the install, sort of like a wheel and tire? Any other common mod suggestions to add to the list?
I would save the gauges, exhaust, and up-pipes until you decide to go with a tuner. If you just want to get ready for a chip or tuner then I would understand. I think you should do the WW asap and let us know how it turns out. I'm in the same boat about the surging issue and plan on doing it soon. I'm not planning on doing a rebuild of the turbo though unless I see problems. Good Luck........

Old 09-25-2009, 11:23 PM
crazymut
Laughing Gas

Here are some ideas for mods https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...confusion.html look at post 18

Old 09-26-2009, 08:51 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Layson
feel how much play is in the turbo. If there is a lot then go ahead and rebuild it and get it balanced. If it feels nice and tight... just stick the wheel on there.

by the way you could get the whole mod list from Clay at Riffraff Diesel. Shoot him an email. sales@riffraffdiesel.com
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/public...argerGuide.pdf

I found this last night. I figured I'd run through that to see how things are doing. The WW is a compressor wheel, not a turbine wheel, right? So if everything's tight and looks good, will the different compressor wheel throw off the shaft at all, requiring balancing? Shouldn't the compressor wheel be tested and balanced accordingly before they even sell them? I suppose you could tweak it during installation or tweak the shaft.

I do plan on buying from riffraff.

Originally Posted by tdpower
I would save the gauges, exhaust, and up-pipes until you decide to go with a tuner. If you just want to get ready for a chip or tuner then I would understand. I think you should do the WW asap and let us know how it turns out. I'm in the same boat about the surging issue and plan on doing it soon. I'm not planning on doing a rebuild of the turbo though unless I see problems. Good Luck........
I'll be sure to post my findings.

Originally Posted by crazymut
Here are some ideas for mods https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...confusion.html look at post 18
I've run across that thread before. Not looking to go the tuner route yet, but a good thread.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:55 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

First thing to do is get the thing breathing. You are half way there with the 6637 but to finish it off you need the 4" turbo back exhaust (air in and exhaust out) Surge is not good so the WW will fix that. Im doing the same but Im going to run a rebuild through it as well while I have the turbo off. Check your up-pipes and boots for leaks. Black soot around the uppies are a sign of leaks. CCK, HPX are just to quiten the motor down. The best mod I did was the In Tank mod. Throttle response was very impressive and it did the best job with engine cackle. To me, gauges are a must aswell. You need to know whats happening with your transmission and engine. Pyro - Trans and Boost is what I have. Adrenalin and BB turbo are for maximum HP - Dont know about that for a work truck but each to his own. Im yet to go down the Tuner path but when I do it will be a DP tuner. I do have one of the first Edge programs (tow mode) but it is very basic. Check my sig for other mods . I have ceramic coated uppies - WW - turbo rebuild kit - new boots sitting on my work bench (waiting for enough time). Im also going to get my manifold and turbo exhaust housing coated as well. My aim is to get everything running right and to its best ability before I go for increasing HP. I hope this helps

Old 09-27-2009, 05:23 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

If your up-pipes are leaking, that's not a mod, that's maintenance. Every single other mod will not be able to fully perform if they are leaking. It's like running around with 30psi in your tires instead of 60psi. Since you are getting surge issues now, the Wicked Wheel is again, maintenance, not necessarily a "mod" as in an upgrade in performance. If your boots are old and/or oil impregnated... same thing. Same for the pedestal o-rings. All 4 should be addressed ASAP if you have leaks. And since you must remove the turbo to do the up-pipes, it's the perfect time to rebuild (if needed) and swap on the WW.

Next in line:

In-tank mods (Hutch & Harpoon - ITP Diesel kit w/filter is what I used)
4" exhaust with muffler - no need to annoy customers with a loud truck idling away
HPX
CCK

Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
First thing to do is get the thing breathing. You are half way there with the 6637 but to finish it off you need the 4" turbo back exhaust (air in and exhaust out) Surge is not good so the WW will fix that. Im doing the same but Im going to run a rebuild through it as well while I have the turbo off. Check your up-pipes and boots for leaks. Black soot around the uppies are a sign of leaks. CCK, HPX are just to quiten the motor down. The best mod I did was the In Tank mod. Throttle response was very impressive and it did the best job with engine cackle. To me, gauges are a must aswell. You need to know whats happening with your transmission and engine. Pyro - Trans and Boost is what I have. Adrenalin and BB turbo are for maximum HP - Dont know about that for a work truck but each to his own. Im yet to go down the Tuner path but when I do it will be a DP tuner. I do have one of the first Edge programs (tow mode) but it is very basic. Check my sig for other mods . I have ceramic coated uppies - WW - turbo rebuild kit - new boots sitting on my work bench (waiting for enough time). Im also going to get my manifold and turbo exhaust housing coated as well. My aim is to get everything running right and to its best ability before I go for increasing HP. I hope this helps
That's what I'm thinking. If I'm going to take the trubo off, I may as well install a rebuild kit. If I go that route I'll have to plan accordingly to get everything rebalanced.

Originally Posted by papadelogan
If your up-pipes are leaking, that's not a mod, that's maintenance. Every single other mod will not be able to fully perform if they are leaking. It's like running around with 30psi in your tires instead of 60psi. Since you are getting surge issues now, the Wicked Wheel is again, maintenance, not necessarily a "mod" as in an upgrade in performance. If your boots are old and/or oil impregnated... same thing. Same for the pedestal o-rings. All 4 should be addressed ASAP if you have leaks. And since you must remove the turbo to do the up-pipes, it's the perfect time to rebuild (if needed) and swap on the WW.

Next in line:

In-tank mods (Hutch & Harpoon - ITP Diesel kit w/filter is what I used)
4" exhaust with muffler - no need to annoy customers with a loud truck idling away
HPX
CCK
Sounds good, thanks.