6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Bad STC fitting

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:24 PM
FordMan35
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad STC fitting

Hey guys I need your help.
I think my STC fitting is going bad, but at this time the only symptom I have is a noise like two metal plates rubbing against each other, or a bad bearing(on decel or while coasting). Other than that the truck startes and runs fine accept once when I had the truck parked downhill in my drivway and then it took like 10 second of cranking befor it lit(have not tried to repeat this). Is there anything I should be worried about at this time or should I let it go a little bit longer before trying to get it fixed. I talked to the dealer about it and they said if the truck is running they can't do anything about it. I tend to think that is a bunch of manuer, because the way I look at it the if the fitting isn't working as designed then it's broken and should be fixed. As always your input is appreciated.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:23 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,380 Likes on 2,079 Posts
Has the dealer inspected or anyone looked at something like the turbo, might not be what you are thinking.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:54 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,702 Posts
Many dealerships take this approach - sad but true. Ask around and find the dealership w/ the best reputation. Take it there.

I assume you are still under warranty (5 yr / 100k)?

Keep at it until you get it fixed. It could be something that just causes more problems every mile you drive. If it is the HPOP, you do not want pieces being generated, taking out your IPR valve (and being hard to clean out). In fact, if it is anything in the HPO system, do you want to risk being stranded?

Do you have any mods (like larger exhaust)?

Has there been any work under your hood recently?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:42 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds like possibly a loose down pipe hitting the firewall.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:19 AM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have heard of those symptoms before, the sound you are describing along with long extended crank times. could be a couple of things related to the hpop or stc fitting. it is a very common problem on the 05' model year. I would definitely be trying to find another dealership. BTW. do you think they would say that if you were footing the bill?

but the first thing is to find a reputable dealer. that can properly diagnose and fix.

"Since the redesign of the high pressure oil pump for 2005 and newer Power Stroke diesel engines the "snap-to-connect" or STC fitting used to connect the high pressure oil pump to the oil supply branch tube has been problematic. The two piece fittings have a tendency to flex causing wear on the seal and the locking ring resulting in leaks and occasionally the complete separation of the fitting. When a leak occurs at this fitting, the engine may be difficult to start or may not start at all. Depending on the severity of the leak the engine may stall, sometimes abruptly and without warning. See article 6.0L ICP System Leaks which describes high pressure oil system leaks and basic diagnostics."
taken from http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-07-08.php

Old 09-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's the STC fitting causing the metallic sound you hear, then you will eventually start having starting issues when the engine is warm/hot because the slip joint of the fitting has become partially disengaged. Mine starting making a metallic noise at around 1500-1800 rpm under light/constant throttle and I knew something wasn't right. However, I held off taking it in until I started getting a more definitive problem that could be positively diagnosed. (Sounds can be like gremlins and almost impossible to chase down and I'm not big on exploratory surgery on my baby.) About 1000 miles later I started having no start issues with the engine warm/hot and took her in and it in deed turned out to be the STC fitting.

However, as was already mentioned, it could be a loose exhaust component. Check your exhaust system (especially down and up pipes) for anything making contact with your firewall or other component. There's also a TSB for exhaust drone that leads to addition of a turbo pedastal bracket if that's the cause. I'm not real sure what exhaust drone sounds like but I thought I'd throw that out there as well.

Hope you get it figured out.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:18 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The reservoir that the high pressure pump feeds off of is in the front of the engine. There is a "channel" leading from the reservoir to the high pressure pump. This channel is not pressurized. If you park nose down, I would expect a longer crank time. When you decellerate, the 6 liter has a tendency to do the "turbo fart". But if you're convinced its the stc fitting, just tell your dealer to replace it. If its bad, they do it under warranty, if its not bad, you'll pay the bill. Easy, HUH?

Old 09-25-2009, 10:20 PM
FordMan35
Senior User

Thanks for the input guys. I do have an appointment with the dealer on Monday to have them look at it. My truck has been making this noise since I bough it in May, and I am getting a little more concerned about it right now beacause befor the engine needed to warm up a bit before it would start making any sound and now the noise is present when cold. I have also heard other 6.0's making the same sound when they drive by in a parking lot.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:28 PM
FordMan35
Senior User

[quote=bismic;7968797] I assume you are still under warranty (5 yr / 100k)?

I should be under warranty. My oasis report shows the warrenty period satrting in June 2005 and the milage is under 100,000.

[quote=bismic;7968797]Keep at it until you get it fixed. It could be something that just causes more problems every mile you drive. If it is the HPOP, you do not want pieces being generated, taking out your IPR valve (and being hard to clean out). In fact, if it is anything in the HPO system, do you want to risk being stranded?

To keep it simple I do not want to get stranded anywhere and run the risk of getting "The Super Sucker Drive By Blues"

[quote=bismic;7968797]Do you have any mods (like larger exhaust)?

No mods except a coolant filter.

[quote=bismic;7968797]Has there been any work under your hood recently?

No major work under the hood since I've owned it.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:42 PM
FordMan35
Senior User

Originally Posted by Powerstroke_wannabe
If it's the STC fitting causing the metallic sound you hear, then you will eventually start having starting issues when the engine is warm/hot because the slip joint of the fitting has become partially disengaged. Mine starting making a metallic noise at around 1500-1800 rpm under light/constant throttle and I knew something wasn't right. However, I held off taking it in until I started getting a more definitive problem that could be positively diagnosed. (Sounds can be like gremlins and almost impossible to chase down and I'm not big on exploratory surgery on my baby.) About 1000 miles later I started having no start issues with the engine warm/hot and took her in and it in deed turned out to be the STC fitting.

However, as was already mentioned, it could be a loose exhaust component. Check your exhaust system (especially down and up pipes) for anything making contact with your firewall or other component. There's also a TSB for exhaust drone that leads to addition of a turbo pedastal bracket if that's the cause. I'm not real sure what exhaust drone sounds like but I thought I'd throw that out there as well.

Hope you get it figured out.
I know what you mean about exploratory surgery on our baby's. I have wanted a truck like this for years now, and I love it, and don't want anything to happen to her. I am verry leary about having work done that I am not in control of. I have read many discouraging stories about people taking their trucks to the dealer for work and they come out running worse than before, and right now I think my truck runs fine. It's just that if it is the STC fitting it will most likely fail and leave me stranded unless I address the issue before that happens. Sounds as though maybe I should just let it ride a little bit longer untill I have starting issues...

Old 09-25-2009, 10:45 PM
FordMan35
Senior User

Originally Posted by vloney
The reservoir that the high pressure pump feeds off of is in the front of the engine. There is a "channel" leading from the reservoir to the high pressure pump. This channel is not pressurized. If you park nose down, I would expect a longer crank time. When you decellerate, the 6 liter has a tendency to do the "turbo fart". But if you're convinced its the stc fitting, just tell your dealer to replace it. If its bad, they do it under warranty, if its not bad, you'll pay the bill. Easy, HUH?
What does a "turbo fart" sound like? I have also hear of "turbo flutter", and how might that sound be described?

Old 09-26-2009, 08:19 AM
l-m tech
Posting Guru
do a search on this forum.im sure theres a video posted of the noise.most of the time the stc fitting will start fine cold but when the oil heats up it gets thinner and bypasses the seal easyier and can cause a long crank no start when hot.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:51 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FordMan35
What does a "turbo fart" sound like? I have also hear of "turbo flutter", and how might that sound be described?
Check this thread out - all the turbo info you could ever need.

From the Tech Folder sticky at the top of this forum:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...urbo-abcs.html

Old 08-07-2014, 09:36 AM
brgranger
New User
Resolution?

FordMan35, did you ever get resolution on this? What did you find?

Old 08-07-2014, 09:53 AM
FordMan35
Senior User

Originally Posted by brgranger
FordMan35, did you ever get resolution on this? What did you find?
I have been driving this truck for 5 years now, and it still makes the same sound. I don't know what the noise is, but I think it has to do with the injectors, and the HPOP. I have installed the one piece STC fitting, and replaced the stand pipes, and dummy plugs, and the thing runs great. At the time I wrote the post I was new to the 6.0l powerstroke, and to say the least was a little paranoid, and I learned to relax, and I love my truck.

Quick Reply: Bad STC fitting