Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need some help, truck is in bad shape

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:33 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need some help, truck is in bad shape

Gents, and ladies, my truck has been acting up lately, not running well, etc.

I pulled all the programming out of the truck a couple days ago, have been running it stock, wow, this thing is a dog!

Today, truck barely started. Glow plug relay is fine, wasnt cold, etc. After a 10 minute warmup, I got out on the road, and floored the truck, but nothing happened. After about a 1/2 mile like this, engine started to respond, but super slow. Finally after about 3 miles, of full throttle, truck finally started getting boost, all the missing started to go away. After about 10 more minutes of this driving, engine finally ran okay, would pull 18 lbs of boost running stock, etc.

All this time with it floored, there was no smoke, nothing. Felt like truck was totally dead.

I have a month old fuel filter in it, 1000 mile oil change with synthetic oil, etc. Something is really wrong with it now. If I let it sit for more than a day, it wont start without lots and lots of cranking. Sounds like its hitting on a few cylinders when you first start to crank. After many tries later, sounds like some more cylinders start to work, and finally after about 30 mins of cranking, letting starter cool, cranking, it will finally start, but its not running on all 8.

Any ideas what could have happened? I replaced the HPOP 3 months ago, new IPR, all new glow plugs, new gpr, new under valve harness wiring, fresh oil, clean air filter, new fuel filter.

Im stumped, help!

Thanks!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 11:53 PM
agg_bagg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have you done the hutch and harpoon mod. also known as the in tank mods. it sounds like you are somehow loosing your fuel prime. if you haven't done the in tank mods i would suggest doing so, the little screens in the tank are probably plugged solid.

here is a link on how to do it.

http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/hutch.php

read through this it explains what it fixes and why. i think you have a massive amount of air getting into your system and it takes that long to push it out.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:56 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The way to check this though is to check your fuel presure, this does sound like a fuel issue, except for the part where it starts to recover.Harpon and Hutch mod is not a repair of a problem, it is an improvement on a design, so it does not fix anything. As far as the screen being clogged, Climb under your truck and listen to your pump by just turning your key on. The pump WILL sound like it is sucking air or struggling to get fuel if there is a clogg.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:58 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Do you know anyone with a scanner that can buzz your injectors on a cold engine?

Old 09-25-2009, 08:28 AM
robs01f250
Elder User
where are you located? There may be someone around there that may be able to plug a scanner up to it to check everything out on the truck
Take these guys advice, they usually know what they are talking about

Old 09-25-2009, 09:03 AM
whitesdford
Elder User
Im in Berthoud, CO, about an hour north of Denver.

I'll crawl under the truck and listen for the pump and see if it sounds weird, etc.

What is the buzz test? Would that test the injectors to see if they are basically worn out? I bought this truck with 100k on it, and now it has 200k miles on it, do injectors typically wear out at this type of mileage?

Thanks for the tips, i'll let you guys know if I find anything.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:04 AM
whitesdford
Elder User
Oh, one question, if the HPOP oil was draining back into the engine, would that cause this type of problem? Would that let air into the oil lines that fire the injectors, causing the miss, etc? Im thinking this may be an issue, due to the fact if I let the truck sit for a day, all the problems come back. What do you guys think?

Old 09-25-2009, 11:24 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This would be easy to check, Remove the plastic cover on the top of the motor. Tright there in front there is a gold in color, rectangle box, there is a set screw on the drivers side. Pull that screw and measure the depth of the oil, should be no more then a 1/2" from the top.

Anyone have any thoughs about this being the EBPV??

Old 09-25-2009, 03:24 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Okay, checked the hpop reservoir, oil was about 3/4 of an inch, maybe a little bit more below the threads. Cranked on it for a few seconds without a start, checked it again, and it was 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the top of the reservoir, so apparently oil is being moved, thats good anyway.

Id like to put a couple of videos on here, how do you attach them to a post?.

Anyway, I'll try to get it scanned (injector buzz) asap and let you guys know. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-25-2009, 03:41 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by just another truck

Anyone have any thoughs about this being the EBPV??
It doesn't want to start, so I would rule out the EBPV. That would certainly affect it going down the road, but not at startup I wouldn't think.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:57 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Update!

Okay, got sick of all this, went out and started tearing stuff apart.

I took the fuel filter out, and the bottom of the fuel bowl was basically mud. Also noticed that the lower o ring on the filter was non existant, or so I thought. Actually found it obliterated into tiny parts at the bottom of the fuel bowl.

Pulled fuel bowl all apart, spent an hour getting all the gunk out of there, now I wonder how much dirt, etc went down the lines to the injectors.

Put a lot of lucas injector cleaner in there, primed it twice, let it run, shut off, repeat the lucas and prime, and started. Sounded much better, maybe just a fluke.

Took it for a drive and its much better, but I still hear a clicking noise when pulling lots of power, and it sounds like its right in front of where your sitting on the other side of the firewall, possibly an injector?

Okay, since that oring was gone for how long, what do you guys think the prognosis is on the injectors, obviously they ate dirt for who knows how long.

This oring and the mud situation, would that most likely cause my starting problem ive been having?

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2009, 02:36 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
You may have found your problem! Also, while cleaning out the fuel bowl, did you clean the screen inside the fuel outlet on the top driverside of the filter housing? It's inside the hole about a half an inch or so. I usually use a can of PB Blaster with a straw attached to clean it. Some guys use a Q-tip with the cotton removed. You can also clean that screen from the outside by removing 2-10mm bolts that hold the FPR in the housing. When you seperate the FPR from the housing, the screen is right there. There is an o-ring there so be darn careful not to drop it. Finding it in the valley ain't fun!

Old 09-26-2009, 08:52 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Didnt even know that screen was there. I'll tear it back apart tomorrow. Im waiting till tomorrow to see how it starts, see if it still misses, etc.

Im wondering how much the injectors got damaged with unfiltered fuel going to them for probably 8k miles.

Im still wondering why the oring basically fell apart and ended up on the bottom of the fuel bowl in tiny parts. Injector cleaners eat the orings? All I use is the Lucas or diesel kleen.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whitesdford
Didnt even know that screen was there. I'll tear it back apart tomorrow. Im waiting till tomorrow to see how it starts, see if it still misses, etc.

Im wondering how much the injectors got damaged with unfiltered fuel going to them for probably 8k miles.

Im still wondering why the oring basically fell apart and ended up on the bottom of the fuel bowl in tiny parts. Injector cleaners eat the orings? All I use is the Lucas or diesel kleen.
That screen is for the return and pressure regulator. I use carb cleaner with my bowl drain open when cleaning my bowl. I flush it out. May want to lube your parts befor installing a new filter.

As for your oring, aside from neglect or faulty parts, nothing else comes to mind. Improper installation or too long of a change interval could cause this, or cheap parts. Pouring stuff in the tank should dilute it. BTW, I am not a fan of Lucas stuff.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:36 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Would the o ring missing allow any air to enter the system?

Whats the way to diagnose an injector going south? Buzz test, contribution test? How do you know when there is an injector issue besides scanning with those tests?

Quick Reply: Need some help, truck is in bad shape