5.0L Coyote 5.0l Ford OHC Coyote engine for 2011+

New engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:27 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
The thought that anything less than a v8 is a waste is outdated thinking.....
Dont mean to pick on you Ryan but from what I gather its the opposite lol! Think about the old 300 6 cylinder... was a great engine for decades. But here in the last decade the 5.4 has proven to get the same mpg or even better than the v6 and a ton more power if needed... whats to loose? Same with the Chebys I have noticed... for several years the bigger 8 gets same/better mpg as the smaller 8 and 6. No reason not to get the bigger one.

I was never a fan of the higher rev'n higher output little motors for trucks. Seems if you make an efficient bigger motor and drive it lightly gets just as good milleage. My 4.2 V6 makes way more HP than my dads 4.9 I6, but in a truck I'll take the torque of the I6 any day.

I've only lost ~3mpg going from the 4.2L V6 to the 6.8L V10 and thats picking up a ton of weight (litteraly - maybe more) and a huge more amount of wind drag. Heck I'd put 90% of the mpg loss just on the air drag since most all my driving is highway.

I think its sad how much the 'numbers' sell so many. Unless your racing or something its all just about braggin from what I can tell. My 78 Bronco was only around 145HP stock, and it could get around just fine.

I'm kinda sad the 5.4 is going, they finally got a really good motor with all the bugs worked out. Same with the 6.8. Seems to me to be plenty powerfull and very efficient even in the heavy truck I'm getting 14's and still breaking in. A lot of use in the SD section are not happy about the new 6.2 replacing fords best kept secret (V10).

Old 09-26-2009, 05:10 AM
MM1281
Senior User
Originally Posted by 78bigbronco
Dont mean to pick on you Ryan but from what I gather its the opposite lol! Think about the old 300 6 cylinder... was a great engine for decades. But here in the last decade the 5.4 has proven to get the same mpg or even better than the v6 and a ton more power if needed... whats to loose? Same with the Chebys I have noticed... for several years the bigger 8 gets same/better mpg as the smaller 8 and 6. No reason not to get the bigger one.

I was never a fan of the higher rev'n higher output little motors for trucks. Seems if you make an efficient bigger motor and drive it lightly gets just as good milleage. My 4.2 V6 makes way more HP than my dads 4.9 I6, but in a truck I'll take the torque of the I6 any day.

I've only lost ~3mpg going from the 4.2L V6 to the 6.8L V10 and thats picking up a ton of weight (litteraly - maybe more) and a huge more amount of wind drag. Heck I'd put 90% of the mpg loss just on the air drag since most all my driving is highway.

I think its sad how much the 'numbers' sell so many. Unless your racing or something its all just about braggin from what I can tell. My 78 Bronco was only around 145HP stock, and it could get around just fine.

I'm kinda sad the 5.4 is going, they finally got a really good motor with all the bugs worked out. Same with the 6.8. Seems to me to be plenty powerfull and very efficient even in the heavy truck I'm getting 14's and still breaking in. A lot of use in the SD section are not happy about the new 6.2 replacing fords best kept secret (V10).
My friend has a 07 Xl with the 4.2 v6 and it drinks gas like there is no tomorrow. I will say its been a good truck so far. His previous truck was a GMC with a 4.3 v6 and that truck was better on gas but it didnt have the power and I think it was because of rear end gearing. Pretty sure it has a 3.08 and The Ford has a 3.55. He is not a Ford man and its a company truck so its left a bad taste in his mouth. I told him that those engines should have been killed off long ago and now thank goodness they are gone.

Im really looking forward tot he 5.0 engine in both the 150 and Mustangs.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 78bigbronco
Dont mean to pick on you Ryan but from what I gather its the opposite lol! Think about the old 300 6 cylinder... was a great engine for decades. But here in the last decade the 5.4 has proven to get the same mpg or even better than the v6 and a ton more power if needed... whats to loose?
Sure...if you're going to get better mileage why not stick with the V8.....but if you can make the same power.....get an estimated 20% better fuel economy.....and do it with a lighter motor (lighter truck).....why not?

Old 09-26-2009, 10:25 PM
slcdzl
Junior User
Originally Posted by tvsjr
Err, really? You should have owned my 2005 F350 6.0PSD - three head/head gasket/turbo replacements in 85K.

The new motors are one reason I bought my 09 - I'm very happy with (and very comfortable with) the tried and true Modular 5.4. I don't want another "young" motor... once bitten, twice shy.
Well, I had just watched the videos on Ford's site where they show the abuse they put the new diesel through (extreme hot/cold, mileage, etc) and it's pretty amazing. But yeah, it amazes me that the 6.0 ever got released. How could all the problems people have with them not show up in all the testing they did? Regardless, I like the idea of the ecoboost. I like the option to be there for those that want it. Just don't know if I could have a truck without a V8 burble.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:29 PM
db_tanker
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to take into account the fact that those were probably pre-production engines that they were whipping on that came from Navistar's assembly line and not Ford-built engines.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:21 AM
move
Senior User
Originally Posted by db_tanker
You might want to take into account the fact that those were probably pre-production engines that they were whipping on that came from Navistar's assembly line and not Ford-built engines.
Navistar is out of the picture now. That was a 100% Ford built engine.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:00 PM
3bands
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What new motor is coming out for sure next? and when will we see it? My lease is up in December 09, trying to figure out if I should extend it or just get a 010 with the same old 5.4 dinosorous.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:35 PM
rambaseball45
Senior User
PickupTrucks.com: Pickup Truck News, Reviews, Community and Help Finding a New or Used Pickup todays front story on pickuptrucks.com.... more sightings of the coyote 5.0 in F-150s...looks like ford is getting serious with this... i like this engine.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
3bands, people seem to say that the 2011 engine lineup will be:
5.0 V8, (base)
EcoBoost 3.5
6.2 V8

I would wait till they come out, all three of those engines are going to outperform the 5.4 V8.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:21 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by slcdzl
Well, I had just watched the videos on Ford's site where they show the abuse they put the new diesel through (extreme hot/cold, mileage, etc) and it's pretty amazing. But yeah, it amazes me that the 6.0 ever got released. How could all the problems people have with them not show up in all the testing they did? Regardless, I like the idea of the ecoboost. I like the option to be there for those that want it. Just don't know if I could have a truck without a V8 burble.
The videos were also very clear that there are 6 headbolts per cyclinder on the 6.7L.

I hope they've done this right becuase quite frankly, Ford / Navistar has scared me away from ever wanting an oil burner. Hopefully this new engine will change my perceptions.

Tim

Old 10-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Power Kid
Elder User
And it puts out 350 ft-lbs of torque....how much did the 2v 5.4's put out????...i'd bet you'd be pretty damn surprised about how well it tows...

Going from memory but 97 & 98 F150 5.4ls had 235 hp & 335 ft/lbs tq along with . Then for 99 bumped to 250/350 then 04+ 300/365, then 09 310/365(gasoline) then 2011 all heck breaks loose!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-02-2009, 05:41 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by Power Kid
Going from memory but 97 & 98 F150 5.4ls had 235 hp & 335 ft/lbs tq along with . Then for 99 bumped to 250/350 then 04+ 300/365, then 09 310/365(gasoline) then 2011 all heck breaks loose!!!!!!!!!!
Funny you mention that. When these motors first came out in the new bodies, we all thought Ford had created the new holy grail, me included. It didn't take long for the other car makers to leap frog right past Ford in the engine segment of the truck building world.

GM's new ad of course is the for the 6.2L producing 403 HP available in the entire GM line-up.

There is a reason(s) why GM as an entire corporate entity produces and sells more trucks than Ford. Don't flame me, I'm not happy about it either, but numbers don't lie. Ford simply has to prove to the public that they produce the best line-up of engines available. That's going to be a hard sell.

Tim

Old 10-02-2009, 06:44 AM
MM1281
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Funny you mention that. When these motors first came out in the new bodies, we all thought Ford had created the new holy grail, me included. It didn't take long for the other car makers to leap frog right past Ford in the engine segment of the truck building world.

GM's new ad of course is the for the 6.2L producing 403 HP available in the entire GM line-up.

There is a reason(s) why GM as an entire corporate entity produces and sells more trucks than Ford. Don't flame me, I'm not happy about it either, but numbers don't lie. Ford simply has to prove to the public that they produce the best line-up of engines available. That's going to be a hard sell.

Tim
I have to agree to some extent. Ford has not had a large displacement engine since the 460. Gm combined in September did NOT outsell Ford by the way.

Three ways to make power are displacement, more valves, and or forced induction. GM has always had displacement and I admit I like the simplicity of the LSX pushrod engines but I think as we go forward they are going to have to do a double take. I was really skeptical back in 96 when the mod went into the Mustang and evidently others were and sales suffered. You can also blame it on a severe lack of power complared to at that time the LT1. More valves came at a big price increase ala the Cobra to even compete. There are no more excuses for Ford being down on power. No more free passes and that goes for me who bleeds blue. I think they know it and have finally listened.

Now, Ford seems to have planned things well with being able to use the same powertrains across their lineup. This is as excited as I have been in a long time and I hope they dont screw this up. A lot is at stake here.

Im not a oil burner guy but the old Ford diesels or should I say navistar were terrible from what I have read. The power was there but the reliability was not save for the 7.3 I think and that was the first one I think. I hope this new oil burner is reliable because its going to have the power. Only time will tell.

What puzzles me in this whole mess are the numbers kicked around. There seems to be a ton of over lap and it would be a marketing mess. The 5.0 will not make 400 in the F150. No way no how. Maybe 350ish at best and tuned for torque. The Mustang will get a hotter version. There are so many rumours out there and so much misinformation none of us know for sure. I for one cant wait. This is all Ford has liked in the past to truly get down and dirty.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:35 AM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO
Yep, horsepower sells trucks (for some stupid reason or other)...torque moves them.
Probably because horsepower is actually a measurement of force over time and gives an indication of the ability of the engine to do work. Torque is just a measure of force. You have to have both.

Pure torque is worthless. I can put a 5 ft pole on a point and stand on it with all of my 176 lbs and create 880ft/lbs of force. Holy crap I'm more powerfull than any diesel engine currently in production for light trucks! No I'm not because I can't turn that around very fast and thus produce very little horsepower.

Mike

Old 10-02-2009, 08:29 AM
jas67
Junior User
And it puts out 350 ft-lbs of torque....how much did the 2v 5.4's put out????...i'd bet you'd be pretty damn surprised about how well it tows...
Yes, but is it designed to put out 350 ft-lbs continuously on long climes, or just for bursts of acceleration. Truck engines are larger and heavier than car engines of the same HP for good reason, they work a higher duty cycle, esp. when towing. The cooling system better be bigger too.

Quick Reply: New engines