1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bonus Built Trucks with AC ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 04:26 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Bonus Built Trucks with AC ?

Did any of these trucks come with factory AC or was it a Dealer add on?

I tried a couple searches but did not find anything, not sure if the search function was working for me? I thought I read some older posts concerning AC but can't remember?

Found one in a 52 F2 (Express Bed) it has an orange circle with I think the letter "K" in the circle? and just says "Air Conditioning" on front of the case. as near as I can tell. I was only looking at it through the window so couldn't see it real well, the truck has the fresh air vent tube also. is it a heater/ ac Unit? Also I could not get into the engine bay to see whats under there so i will take pictures there too as soon as i can.

anyone have pictures or schematice of these systems? and how rare are they?
thanks in advance for any info>
Josh

Old 09-22-2009, 05:23 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there were two options - the 2-45 and the 4-45 - I like the 2-45 as you get fewer bugs in your teeth.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:46 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
there were two options - the 2-45 and the 4-45 - I like the 2-45 as you get fewer bugs in your teeth.
Ya lost me Dick whats the 2-45 and 4-45??

I know someone has seen AC in these trucks, Anyone?

thanks

Josh

Old 09-22-2009, 05:56 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
Josh - I'll be waiting too for Dick to let us in.

I've got the 1952 Hildy's Blue Book that lists all the approved aftermarket suppliers, and I've got the Ford optional equipment brochures. Nothing that I recall about an air conditioner being available on the Bonus Builts.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:42 PM
gdgerland
Elder User
I won't up-stage Dick on this one but he is right. I will wait for him to let you know what he is talking about.

Gil

Old 09-22-2009, 06:46 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by jmadsen
Ya lost me whats the 2-45 and 4-45??
2-45 is with the windows down, 45 MPH,4-45 is with the vent windows open too and 45 MPH
Can't believe you've never heard of this

Old 09-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2-45 = roll down two windows and drive 45 mph.

OK - POP QUIZ.......What is 4-45?

There was no Factory OR Dealer installed air conditioning on the Bonus Built trucks.

But I'm certain that there were companies that made those "Hang under the dash" installed units and some of them found there way into some of the trucks. They were very popular in the late 50 and early 60s.

The only air duct that was factory installed in the Bonus Built supported the "Magic Aire" fresh air heater. The duct ran from the lower lip of the top of the passenger side front fender just above the headlight, then back in the fender well to a spot on the side of the cowl.

On the 48-50 Magic Aire, it attached to a box that contained the fan and motor then entered the truck via a short (4 inch) rubber boot to the heater core chamber. Temperature was controlled with a hot water bypass valve.

In the 51/52 heaters, the exterior motor and fan box was elliminated and th educt connected directly to the rubber boot. The fan and motor were contained in the heater box itself and temperature was controlled by opening a door to the heater chamber. There was no water valve.

Here are a few pictures:

Name:  Heater Magic Aire 51.jpg
Views: 5395
Size:  222.9 KB

This is an exploded drawing of the 51 Magic Air system

Name:  Heater duct mounting 2.jpg
Views: 1846
Size:  26.2 KB

And the attaching point of the front half of the duct to the cowl side.

Name:  Dash Restoration Complete 5.jpg
Views: 8181
Size:  95.3 KB

Here is mine mounted in the truck. Although I have a 51 Magic Aire, I am using the 48-50 heater control panel which is clearly visible under the dash. The 51/52 control is a straight bar with all four switches in a row just under the dash like those on the "Effies"

I used the earlier panel because I wanted a duplicate on the other side to mount my overdrive and hood cables and hood controls (full front tilt) - the bar panel did not have enough space between positions to mount the "T" type handles for the Overdrive and Hood cables. The earlier one did. You can see the early installation of one of the "T" handles in the last photo. I've since changed that with the incorporation of the electric lift on the front tilt.

Of interesting note, withth efull front tilt I had to remove the Magic Air duct, and grafted a side fender vent door from a 49 Studebaker car behind the fender to support the fresh air feature and manufactured a home made duct to connect it to the heater.

Pictures of the Hood and Overdrive Control Panel

Edit Note: we must have all been typing at the same time - you guys win the quiz, my answer took longer to type!

Old 09-22-2009, 07:50 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4-45 front and rear windows gone - hence the bugs in the teeth or for some tooth/toof

Old 09-22-2009, 08:26 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
My first intro to Bonus Built Air Conditioning was with my first '49 which was a desert truck. I was wearing an expensive suit motoring down the 118 at about 70. It was 100F outside and I had the windows down. Suddenly, it occurs to me that I can open the cowl.......... In seconds, decades of dirt covered me. I looked like I'd been to mount Saint Helens.......... After that, it was fine

Old 09-22-2009, 10:12 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Ok, well I didn't put all that 2-45 4-45 together, lol but now I see!

well I'm telling you that this truck has AC; of course I have yet to get into the cab and under the hood but I can't hardly wait to see what's going on there now.
going to pick this up on Sunday so I'll get some pictures up soon as I can. I would be picking it up sooner but not going to happen this week, my 7 yr old daughters family B-day party wednesday and friend party Sat and all the Honey do's inbetween, [plus I missed our 11th anniversary on the 13th so I still have make up time there. (still can't believe my wife tolerates my Addiction ( I mean hobby) to old trucks!
just got home from my wife's granpa's 85th B-day party- he was a navigator on a bomber in WWII it's amazing what they went through and survived, I could never get bored of all the story's. Speaking of which, the 48 F-1 I think was an Army Depot Truck so I am guessing that maybe the 52 was as well?

Thanks again for the responses.
I Also remember seeing something a while back on Ebay I think? had an ac pump and blower etc that was on a flathead powered car or truck? AC Sure would be nice to have around here in the summer.

Josh

Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Here is the only pictures I could get from the back window really hard to see, plus the post hole digger handle is in the way!

Looks like I can almost make out the area to the right of box were the rubber boot would connect to the fresh air duct?

anyone need an express bed, running boards and fenders? has a little bit of rust, and the fender rear area has some rust. but all fixable.

Josh

Old 09-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow Josh you may have come across some really rare aftermarket "Magic Air to Air Conditioning" conversion box. I am going to be VERY interested in hearing more about this and seeing more pictures once you get the truck!

I wonder if Number Dummy Bill would have any background on it?

Please follow up, ok? Thanks!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:30 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Wow Josh you may have come across some really rare aftermarket "Magic Air to Air Conditioning" conversion box. I am going to be VERY interested in hearing more about this and seeing more pictures once you get the truck!

I wonder if Number Dummy Bill would have any background on it?

Please follow up, ok? Thanks!

will do, and with better pictures too! I can't wait until Sunday!

It does have the four heater control ***** (like the magic air heaters have) mounted on the bottom side of dash.
Josh

Old 09-24-2009, 12:56 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I need to move to Utah and start snatching up some of these trucks that you've been getting.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:41 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I need to move to Utah and start snatching up some of these trucks that you've been getting.
Come on out, I need the competition LOL maybe it would help keep me out of so much trouble?

Julie,
I like how you added that wing vent on the side of your cab, It looks like it's mounted higher up than the stock vent opening? and obviously farther back to be outside of fender well instead of inside? and what did you have to do to get your connections on the inside to line line up good? It Look Real Good!

Josh

Quick Reply: Bonus Built Trucks with AC ?