Want more power from my IDI 7.3 ATS turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:44 PM
peboiteau
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want more power from my IDI 7.3 ATS turbo

Hi,
As you guys seem to always have a solution... here is my problem.

I want to tow my 7000lbs 5th wheel from Whistler BC, across the states, to mexico, back to Quebec with my 1991 f350 7.3 ATS turbo.
So I want more power...
I heard that by having a bigger exhaust, I might have more HP... so I decided to do so... but I found no exhaust kit available for my truck...
Then I whent to a garage to have a custom one, and the garage guy told me that because how the turbo is made, there was no really way to do something that will help...

Does someone knows a solution do give my truck more power?

Thanks.

Pierre

Old 09-21-2009, 11:51 PM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
more air in and more air out means a happy idi.then you can turn the fuel up after you install a pyrometer

Old 09-22-2009, 12:06 AM
peboiteau
Freshman User
So by increasing the diameter of the exhaust, I might have something.

Do you have any detail about the "more air out" thing?
Like 4" catback...

Old 09-22-2009, 01:08 AM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Pierre, long time no see.

That sounds like fun!

Yes, you can go to a 4" exhaust if you look for a powrerstroke exhaust from 1997 and older for an F series truck of matching wheel base (some modding near the front might be required) Although I am running a 3" pipe and my truck seems to do just fine. Going to 4" will hurt nothing though.

As Rupe already mentioned, you really should get an exhaust gas temperature gauge in there (pyrometer) if you don't already have one.

Do you find the truck underpowered right now?
Any smoke?
Do you know if the fuel has been turned up?

No smoke means you might be able to get more power simply through changing the fuel settings.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:04 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The mechanic may have been referring to your down pipe(one coming off the turbo) The ford installed turbos used a different outlet housing and a down pipe that looks as though a forklift ran it over. They are pretty restrictive. If you have an aftermarket ATS kit, it should have the upgraded outlet with the 3" mandrel bent down pipe.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:36 AM
99SevenPoint3
Elder User
at the time i did my upgraded banks offered a 3" downpipe that went directly on the stock ford outlet housing . Then all i did was order a full 4" exhaust that was for a 94.5-97 powerstroke i used everything from the hardware it had except the downpipe that it came with that kit. But i have heard ppl state that they have tried calling banks and that they no longer make said downpipe,but i also seen someone that posted that they have taken there stock downpipe off and gone to a good muffler shop and have had them make a 2.5 inch downpipe with all the exact bends with good results..
But it is deff. a good idea to upgrade ur exhaust aswell u should look up the ram air setup since the factory one isnt the best.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:40 AM
peboiteau
Freshman User
Gentle man, thank you for your answers.

David: ( I have fixed my van's cold starting problem differently!!!)
The truck does not smoke at all. The power is all right, but I could use more! And I do not know if the fuel has been turned up?
And what a pyrometer does to increase the power?

For now, the air intake is straight from the filter box (4"). There is nothing to bring fresh air... it sucks air from near the manifold! I will have to bring air from somewhere else...

Are all the crew cab / long box has the same wheel base?

Old 09-22-2009, 11:44 AM
David85
Lead Driver
Well, I'm glad you got that van fixed either way.

The pyro does nothing for power. Instead it allows you to monitor your exhaust gas temperatures in those moments when you are making the most power. When you start reaching boost pressures of 10 PSI or more, and feed the required fuel into the engine to get that kind of boost, the temperatures in the cylinders can get very hot. The absolute limit in theory is 1250F intermittent, and 1050F constant. That is the temperature where the aluminum alloy pistons start to melt (usually what happens is pitting in the top of the piston if you go too far past 1200, molten metal out the exhaust does not actually happen).

Long climbs through mountain passes with a trailer will certainly run the risk of building up too much heat. The pyro allows you to know when its getting too hot and either gear down or let off on the pedal (or both). The truth is even a non turbo IDI can get pretty hot under the right conditions, so a pyro is always a good idea before you start enjoying the new power after adding a turbo.

I thought about the 2.5" downpipe too, but if this was a full aftermarket ATS kit, then it should have a true 3" pipe. All that would be needed is to cut it off a foot or so behind the firewall and splice it into the new exhaust line. If the new line is a 4", then use a 3-4" adapter. Don't understand why the muffler shop didn't want to do that.

Yes, the chassis and wheelbase for trucks anywhere from 1980-1997 will be the same, so a powerstroke exhaust should fit in without much fuss. Body shell is really all that changed over those years and even then not by much.

If your fuel hasn't been turned up, and there is no smoke, you might have the potential to turn it up a little if you wanted. What does your boost pressure peak at right now? (assuming you have a boost gauge). Ideally, you should have a pyro in there before you start cranking it up though.

Also, do you know what ATS turbo kit you have in there? is it wastegated or not? If it is wastegated, then you will have to adjust the wastegate to take advantage of the extra fuel otherwise EGTs will rise higher than they should.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:28 PM
axe_handle
Senior User
If you have an ATS 3" down pipe, it should be super easy to open up your exhaust. I built my own kit, and posted a write up:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7304129

Old 09-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
There were a couple ATS kits, my guess is either an 088 or 093 on a 91.

Any way you can post a picture of the turbo so we can see which you have?

Old 09-24-2009, 04:18 AM
RLDSL
Senior User
First step, find a different shop, even better, do it yourself. You obviously have an aftermarket ATS kit on the thing so you have a 3" downpipe already. Ditch everything behind that and go to a heavy truck parts house( someplace that sells parts for log trucks etc) and get a bunch of pieces of 4"pipe, a 4" straight through big truck muffler and a 3-4" reducer and some hangers and you will be out about $120-140

Most muffler shops are not equipped to handle anything over 2.5" anyway
If you still have the stock muffler I bet the things is clogged near solid.

Once you get the cork out of the tail, it's time to get more air in, check out a Hypermax cowl induction It;ll get more air going in and lower your EGTs about 300 deg

Old 09-28-2009, 02:36 PM
peboiteau
Freshman User
All right, I am on it.

But I still have problem to upload pictures...

Old 09-28-2009, 05:57 PM
David85
Lead Driver
You can either set up a gallery in your user account (go to "user CP" and find gallery on the left side of your screen) or you can set up an independent hosting page by photobucket or some other image hosting website and link to that.

You have over 25 posts now, so you 'should' be able to set up your gallery if you want. Not sure but there might be restrictions for users with under 25 posts.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:43 PM
peboiteau
Freshman User
Guys,

Turbo is a ATS 801-263-0900. ( it is wrote on it). Dave: I do not recognize needer of the number you wrote (088 or 093 on 91)

The down pipe mesures 3". And it looks like a fork lift ran on it! But I don't think there is an other design that could fit there...

The "up-pipe" (the one that goes in the turbo) is 2.25". And the manifolds looks very small too. And the bent looks very restrictive... Is there something to do there?

I cannot say if I have the stock muffler... but the truck has 400 000Km and the muffler do not seems that old!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:55 PM
peboiteau
Freshman User
Haha!!!!! There you go!

Pictures by peboiteau - Photobucket

RLDSL: Where the Hypermax thing takes its air from? The fender?

Quick Reply: Want more power from my IDI 7.3 ATS turbo