1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel line question for a 02 F250

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:09 AM
ChuckM
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel line question for a 02 F250

Long story short. The clip which connects the main fuel line to the fuel filter has been broke and is currently zip tied on (this was not of my doing). This was reciently discovered by Ford during a servicing.
In order to fix this I have been told that the whole fuel line from tank to filter must be replaced, around $800 job Ford says.
On the fuel line from the filter back is a 12 inch piece of rubber hose that connects fuel filter to metal fuel line tubbing. Ford says it can't just replace the rubber peice with a new one that has a clip, it has to replace the whole line back to the tank - about $400 for the part -is this true? Does this sound right to anyone out there? Is there an after market rubber part with the clip that can be attached to filter and metal fuel line or does the whole thing really nead to be replace?
Thanks
Chuck.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:35 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Is this a gasser or a diesel?

Ford probably won't do it any other way. But a general mechanic would probably just use a hose clamp and be done with it.

But it kind of depends on whether this is a pressurized line, or a suction line. That's why I asked about the engine, because of the pump location.

Regardless, that's not the kind of job I would give to a dealership. Just find a local mechanic.

Welcome to FTE, Chuck.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:09 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
What bpounds said.

If you have a gas engine, I'm not sure, but the zip tie is not the end of the world. I would recommend getting a couple of small hose clamps, carefully cutting off the zip tie and putting the hose clamps on. Better compression and it is spread out over a larger area which lowers the chance of cutting the line. As for "needing" a clip, you don't if it's in the suction line of the pump.

If you have a diesel, you can do the in-tank modification. For about $75 (without filter) or about $160 (with filter) you can eliminate the quick disconnects altogether. I used the kit from ITP Diesel...http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php/products/73L_TankKit. This kit uses double clamps to hold the fuel hose on the metal lines.

Others may chime in, but the fuel line clips that Ford puts on there are pressure fit. They allow too much air into the fuel line and pump suction as it is. It also requires you to either buy a special tool to unlock and release the line or take it to a dealer (probably why it was zip tied in the first place).

IMHO I would kindly pass on Ford's $800 offer, go to Home Depot and buy 2 small hose clamps for about $2 and put those on. My rubber fuel lines are held on by two small hose clamps at each connection for the last 2 years and I've had no issues (and I do a lot of camping and off-roading).

Just my .02

Old 09-21-2009, 12:17 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Another way to look at it is, if a zip tie held without leaks, a hose clamp sure as hell will too.

So, $800 versus a $0.59 clamp. Your call.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:49 PM
ChuckM
New User
It is a gas truck.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:41 PM
ChuckM
New User
The busted clip is on the high pressure side going to engine from in fuel tank pump. Upon closer examination of other Fords whith 5.4L's not only is the clip missing but also the factory hose which has been replaced with a standard black rubber hose.
Circumstances are that we may be able to get this repaired to factory specs. at no cost to us. However if worse comes to worse and I have to fix it myself, then I agree that if a zip tie held, then hose clamps would be better. I just find it hard to believe that a busted fifty cent clamp would necessitate a complete fuel line replacement.
If anybody thinks I should be concerned about using hose clamps on the High Pressure line please let me know, seems that is the way it all used to be done back in the good ol' days, but then these aren't the good 'ol days anymore.
Thanks.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Put a hose clamp on it. As mentioned, if a plastic zip tie works, then a hose clamp will work better. If you want to replace the short piece of rubber hose, you can get that at your local auto parts store. They sell the hose by the foot. Just buy a hose that will slip over the metal fuel line and pick up a couple of extra hose clamps to secure the new hose on the metal line.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Thor80
Junior User
Another option would be to go down to your local junkyard and grab the line off a wrecked one and do it yourself so that you can maintain the ford factory clippy thingy. (This is my favorite option, you never know what else you'll find while you're at the junkyard, lots of cool stuff. Still lookin for my upfitter switches there though....) My 5.4l Expy has the same setup for the fuel filter, you can get the hose clip remover thingy tool from most parts stores for cheap and then you can do your fuel filter changes yourself too.

-Torsten