Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Elder User

pgw85706 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Replacing Power Steering Pump Hi Pressure Hose

The hose has failed. Actually the leak is in the metal tubing at the lower end.....completely corroded through.

My problem is I cannot get a wrench on the connector where it goes into a block. The block has 3 other connectors but it sits directly on the front end cross frame member. How do I get a wrench on that compression connector?

I believe that block serves to exchange heat....is that correct? There is another tubing directly above the PS pump hose which seems to route to a small radiator coil just above the axle.....and this tubing is terribly coroded too and figure might as well replace it when I get that PS pump hose off.

Any suggestions on how to remove the connector? I'm thinking to just cut the tube and slip a 18mm socket onto the connector.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Posting Guru

wtroger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That will work to get the old one off. you still have to figure out how to get a wrench in there to tighten the new one.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Postmaster

g_k50 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would try a flare nut wrench, craftsman of course.

My 1999 Ranger Service Manual doesn't have any specific instructions to remove the high pressure hose. It does say that if the hose has a seal ring the seal ring must be replaced. The replacement hose you get should have it installed already.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Elder User

03 Maz B23 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
On my 03 I had a high pressure hose leak. The hose was replaced by dealer and it still leaked. As rusty as the metal on mine was I think the main culprit was the O ring and the fact that the mounting location sat at an angle that allowed road salt to get in to the connection and corrode it. The entire rack had to be replaced to stop the leak but the dealer had to foot the bill due to their improper original diagnosis.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:50 PM