Transit Connect 2010+ Ford Transit Connect

Transit Connect ... I'm liking it.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Jonas1022
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe not a mileage king. But around town I would almost bet that it does double what an Econoline gets. Or any other large van that is mostly empty and runs around with a V-8.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Beermaker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have about 1000 miles on mine. I think it's great. Easy to drive, park etc in tight spaces. Flys on the highway, even loaded. I get 25 mpg hwy and 24 city. I don't have the side windows and it could use larger mirrors. One higher gear for the highway would be nice too. If you have a business, get some graphics put on. All I have for the time being is a magnetic sign and I get asked every day what kind of van it is. Then they ask about my business. Win/win

Old 10-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Uncle Tony
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice to read from someone who actually has one. A positive impression as well. Encouraging.

I've recently seen a silver one and a black one. When looking at the color selection on the Ford site, I though perhaps it was too small for dark colors. The black actually didn't look to bad. However, the lighter silver fit the body style more appropriately.

Either way, I'm still liking it.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Transit1
New User
I'm likin' it too...

Good evenin' guys. New to this forum, but am an '010 Transit Connect XLT Van owner/user, and bought mine in August. It presently has 3500 miles and I like it quite well.

This vehicle is not exactly a "brand new" product, as the vehicle has been in production since '02 in Europe, and the following there is part of what I based my purchase on. They seem to like them pretty well, though they get the good stuff - a little diesel (optional turbo?) and a manual trans. That would be a nice setup but apparently didn't meet the smog regs here. Regarding under-powered - I'm probably not a good judge, as my last car was an '02 Crown Vic LX Sport with a little attitude adjustment, but this has enough go to get me where I need to be, I'm just a little more cautious about entering traffic than with the former.

I do like the less frequent and less costly visits to the gas station, and I REALLY like the seating position as I've had one of every generation of F series from '53 through the late '70's, a couple of Econolines, A Bronco II, a Ranger, and a Ranchero (58) thrown in for good measure. Being able to see over most cars is a good thing!

I bought mine for use as my daily driver, and it serves as my work and hobby hauler too. I collect and restore old bicycles, and there is plenty of room in the back for them.

I really like the way it drives, and am amazed at the fact that though you're driving the hall closet, it really doesn't have that feel.

I agree with the posting about "colors other than white," except mine is...er, white. It came down to buy something else or buy something white. It is obvious which way that went. Of course, one of the three dealers I had been bugging for silver, red or blue called me at 9:30 the Saturday morning after I got mine and told me he had a silver one in front of him. Oh, well...

So far, no problems of any substance. As these have been produced and sold overseas for several years, it seems the "first year" issues aren't existant. Having worked for Ford dealers for 23 years, I may be a little prdjudiced, but am pretty sure I made the right choice at this point. In that time I saw a lot of first year problems, but as I said, this seems to be without them.

What I'd do differently:
1) Better audio system - speakers sound like two tin cans fed by kite string. (Stereo shop is being visited this weekend for some stuff to fix this.)
2) Didn't like the tires/size so that has been changed. Far better with a little more footprint, and a tiny increase in track width. (Note: this doesn't take the normal 4.5" bolt circle of most Ford products.. 5X108mm circle with a 52.9mm offset - makes the wheel search a bit more fun.)
3) It needs to have a shaded windshield - like most cars. This is one freakin' huge piece of glass! A strip of the blue/green shading like on a normal car would be a big plus.

That said, they really didn't bring it here for old farts like me to drive around in - so maybe these things would be 100% acceptable in a work related environment. I still like it though, and will fix the things I don't like.. Just like I've done on most every other car I've ever owned.

My $.02
Your mileage may vary!

Roland C.
Happily Tranisiting

Old 10-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Transit1
New User
Concert Hall on wheels...

OK.. Today we went from tin cans with kite string to concert hall on wheels.
I'll post some photos of what comes in the doors for those who haven't yet taken them out.. UNreal!

I'll post some... er, well, maybe that wouldn't work after all. You can't see the speakers, only the main amp and the Basslink powered subwoofer. I guess that only leaves me to tell you that it is a completely different sound than even the Crown Vic had (and it was pretty darn good!). This is close to, if not better than the Bose system I had in one of my past vehicles (A brand X product - please forgive me..). Coming home from the install was a lot of fun, with much more music than I went with.

Two things - 1) I am not a 20 yr old looking to rock the world, 2) my tastes go from one end of the spectrum to the other. I was listening to the greatest hits of 300 yrs ago on my way home, and it was ASTOUNDING! In the driveway before getting out, I tried some other things, and the radio too. All of it is so much different. You don't miss anything that was played.

I stand by my previous statement that Ford should consider a better system from the start. Work truck or not, this thing is great! It takes me back (except for the crappy gas mileage part) to my '72 Econolodge, er line... That thing didn't have any shyness about being seen flirting with a gas pump.

So now I think this is not only a good vehicle, but a great building block to turn in to your own personal transportation vehicle. Maybe it isn't for everyone, but it certainly does the trick for me.

Now to finish the inside of the back!

REC
Happily Transiting

Old 10-24-2009, 06:49 PM
tcesni
Elder User
Who knew Wayne Michigan had been relocated to Brazil?

Some folks look at the Transit Connect and think it is supposed to replace every other van on the road including the Econoline - it is NOT. What it does do is give Ford an edge in a new category of urban work vehicles. Usually the domestics let someone else create new categories so it is good to see Ford leading the way. As for why this model is the first of this group to be brought over it has to be at least partially due to being built in Turkey where the euro in not the local currency and maybe needing fewer changes to meet US regulations.

Next we get the European Fiesta, then the Focus and then the new Fusion will be the same as the Mondeo.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:00 PM
jefflaur1
Freshman User
Almost ready to trade my 2005 Grand Caravan in on the Transit XLT..My wife and I drove it again this weekend up several very narrow and steep mountain roads..unpaved..gravel (don't tell the dealer) and it went where we needed it to go with plenty of power..no issues with traction at all. AND the A/C is awesome..ICE cold all the way to the rear of the cabin. Radio is just OK..unlike "Transit1" I don't need a concert hall..so what kind of replacement speakers will fit in the door to improve what is in there as standard equip?

Problems and concerns include a huge rattle in the rear (might be spare tire not tightened)..the usual worry about the need for the key for everything, but the dealer said he would split the cost of a THIRD key if I buy it.

There's a reasonable deal on the table, dealer took a smidgen off sticker..is screwing me on the trade..but..here's a real issue:

regarding the post: "this doesn't take the normal 4.5" bolt circle of most Ford products.. 5X108mm circle with a 52.9mm offset - makes the wheel search a bit more fun"

what does that mean? Will I have problems getting new tires from a standard tire retailer? Do they have the adaptors etc to mount and balance new tires for the transit? OEM tires are Continentals. Brakes are old-skool disc in front and drums in back. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to this old braking configuration? Why (other than cheap) did they do that?

And what is the situation with parts? Is Ford stocking them anywhere in the US such that they could be overnighted?

Do you think this thing will be a reliable dog hauler?

Old 10-25-2009, 08:10 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jefflaur1
Almost ready to trade my 2005 Grand Caravan in on the Transit XLT..My wife and I drove it again this weekend up several very narrow and steep mountain roads..unpaved..gravel (don't tell the dealer) and it went where we needed it to go with plenty of power..no issues with traction at all. AND the A/C is awesome..ICE cold all the way to the rear of the cabin. Radio is just OK..unlike "Transit1" I don't need a concert hall..so what kind of replacement speakers will fit in the door to improve what is in there as standard equip?

Problems and concerns include a huge rattle in the rear (might be spare tire not tightened)..the usual worry about the need for the key for everything, but the dealer said he would split the cost of a THIRD key if I buy it.

There's a reasonable deal on the table, dealer took a smidgen off sticker..is screwing me on the trade..but..here's a real issue:

regarding the post: "this doesn't take the normal 4.5" bolt circle of most Ford products.. 5X108mm circle with a 52.9mm offset - makes the wheel search a bit more fun"

what does that mean? Will I have problems getting new tires from a standard tire retailer? Do they have the adaptors etc to mount and balance new tires for the transit? OEM tires are Continentals. Brakes are old-skool disc in front and drums in back. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to this old braking configuration? Why (other than cheap) did they do that?

And what is the situation with parts? Is Ford stocking them anywhere in the US such that they could be overnighted?

Great news on the Transit. How hot is it where you ran the A/C?

You will not have problems with tire availability or mounting. The only thing odd is the wheel bolt pattern and offset; these could become a concern it you wanted to put some nice alloy wheels on it because it's not a common size. If you keep the hubcaps, you're fine.

Since rear brakes handle so little of the braking duties, there is not much of a disadvantage to rear drums. They are likely a bit cheaper to produce. We have had at least 2 cars over the years where the rear discs were a problem--the exposed calipers ended up freezing up/binding in our Michigan road salt.

Good luck with the rattle. I'd be tempted to carpet the rear inner walls (we have had four vans, and my favorite was one we had converted and did carpet on the walls. Soft to lean against, and durable to pack things up against.

Keep us updated in the Forum if you buy one. Our E150 still has a lot of miles in it, and I'd rather wait until they build the TC here (hoping that is still Ford's plan--to build in the Wayne MI plant).

Thanks for posting your impressions,
George

Old 10-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Transit1
New User
Ok....

Originally Posted by jefflaur1
<snip> Radio is just OK..unlike "Transit1" I don't need a concert hall..so what kind of replacement speakers will fit in the door to improve what is in there as standard equip?

<snip some more> regarding the post: "this doesn't take the normal 4.5" bolt circle of most Ford products.. 5X108mm circle with a 52.9mm offset - makes the wheel search a bit more fun"

Let's go one item at a time -
Door speakers are 5.25" size, and it will accept a pretty deep one (See the specs on the SPR13C Alpine - that's what I put in the doors.) Pioneer makes some nice ones, as does Kenwood (almost went with them) - both of which will work with the radio alone.

Rattle in the rear - similar issue, tightened the spare 80% went away, found loose bolt on left sliding door striker, more gone. Still have a couple of little ones back there, the dealer has told me they will figure it out when I can let them have it for a day. (I've done this so far on my own - fixed this stuff for years, but just don't have the time I used to.)

Regarding the wheels... I mentioned them only for the reason that I have put other Ford product wheels on my Bronco II, the Ranger, and several other cars in the past. All of which took a 4.5" bolt circle (as do the Fusion and some other new offerings in the car realm.) I liked the wheels that come on the new Fusion and wanted to put a set on the Transit, but due to the bolt circle issue, they don't fit. Tires are a non-issue, and the post wasn't intended as anything but information. The Taurus, Sable, Windstar, and the Windstar replacement, Freestar I think, as well as some other Ford products use the same bolt circle, but with even more offset (wheel sits further in). Volvo has some cars that use the same bolt circle as well, and that was nearly what I bought until I found the wheels I did buy. I wanted a wider tire, and with the wheel/tire setup I bought, I got the wider tire/wheel, and the offset moved the wheels out slightly, giving a slightly wider track - in my mind, wider track - more stability, not that this was an issue either. (I think one word will sum this up in describing my thoughts here - ****-retentive!) Standard size wheels on the van are fine, I just didn't like 'em!
I went with 225/55R16 Kumho Premium Ecsta on a 16X7" wheel with a 40mm offset. It works well.

The brakes are quite good, and that is coming back to disc/drum ABS from the last two vehicles being equipped with 4 wheel disc and ABS. I have yet to turn it around stopping, so I think they did a good job with the proportioning front to rear. (Wish list for next Transit Connect I buy: 4 wheel disc brakes w/ABS... just because.)

Parts issues: I've seen one hit in the rear already and the doors were a day out. Smaller internal body parts may be a little more difficult, but Ford is pretty darn good at getting parts on ALL their lines. The driveline is no issue at all for parts. (Think Focus engine)

As far as reliable - I think so. I'm at 3800 miles today, and it just hums right along. I changed the oil at 3500 (can you say ****-retentive?) just because I feel that is the best thing to do. It seemed to like that idea, and my mind is at rest. (I do a lot of sitting and idling with the air running due to my job)

Overall I REALLY do like this thing, and it is as close to the Bronco II in ability to turn/park/fit anywhere, which is what I loved about that truck. I think the a/c is first rate too. We're in the 90's presently (lower ones), but the first of last month was 95+ pretty much every day, and I was an ice cube while driving.

Hope that clears things up a little...
Roland C.
Happily Transiting
Photo of stock speakers atttached:

Last edited by Transit1; 10-25-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: photo
Old 10-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Transit1
New User
Ooops....

It appears I deleted a photo in webshots connected to the last post.

Here are a couple of photos, one of the stock speakers in the front doors, and one of my TC. I finally got the time to take some photos after doing the sound upgrade.

Roland C
Happily Transiting

Old 10-31-2009, 03:56 PM
jefflaur1
Freshman User
Well I respectfully declined the Transit this week. What is with Ford dealers? Do they have SO much business that they can't handle all the potential customers?

Now remember I bought the 2005 Grand Caravan from THEM only one year ago for 11K A year later they are only willing to give me 4K in trade for my Caravan..Did it really depreciate over seven thousand dollars in a year? Furthermore I was asked to bring it back to them to be evaluated THREE different times, and the second time the "guy" who evaluates trades was in a meeting and could I "stick around for an hour or so" Which I did not do.

So after a bunch of that stupid car dealer back and forth crap..I agreed to add 2 thousand in cash to the deal to make the total (after my payoff had been added) exactly 6K less than the 6K that they were tacking on to the sticker to cover my payoff..so essentially I was giving up a perfectly functional vehicle, and buying the Transit for sticker. I dunno let's see..you get my Caravan in excellent shape..and 2 thousand in cash..and I get a car payment of nearly 575.00 a month??? for a 23 thousand dollar vehicle? That's absurd at best, and insulting at worst. And FoMo Credit Corp LOVES me..excellent credit standing and we have three other vehicles with them (including the Caravan) all accounts are current and in excellent status. They approved me in 5 min for the Transit.

No sale. I don't want to hear any more about how US car dealers are suffering.

I was there four times with my wallet ready to make the deal, and they scotched it..why not throw me a bone?

Old 10-31-2009, 05:21 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry the deal didn't work for you. If the dealer had a lot full of Transit Connects that were going nowhere, things would work out much better for you.

Now in terms of your Caravan. Dealer probably paid $7k for it a year ago and sold it to you for $11k. In the meantime, Chrysler has gone bankrupt, and things don't look *that* good for Chrysler. So they give you $4k for the minivan and sell it for $7-8k, maybe... Haven't you noted how common used Chrysler vehicles are after half their own dealers have gone out of business?

Car dealers need to work in this factor called "profit margin" which enables them to pay their rent, keep their lights on, pay employees, etc. The moral of this story is that whatever vehicle you buy, you should plan on keeping it a long time to get your money's worth. If I were you, I'd drive the wheels off your Caravan; there is not $19k of additional value in the TC from my viewpoint, and shouldn't be from yours either.

I'm not a TC customer for a few years either, but am keeping an eye on them. I'm guessing that if they move production here, they will definitely have more stock to try and get rid of and deals will probably be better.

Take care,
George

Old 11-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Jonas1022
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, drive them till they drop! If the Caravan is working fine, drive it. If it's a PITA, sell it yourself and get out of the loan even up. If you can that is...

I'll only get serious about a car/truck purchase when what I am driving has just about totally collapsed. Then I can be iffy. When it comes to making deals that are going to cost me money, just call me Brett Farve.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:27 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the caravan isnt to bad to work on overall. ive put a trans in one, did the crank and rod bearings, the only thing lately i havent seen worth rebuilding was a '76 cj-5 someone borrowed to pull a trailer with. the frame on the left side in front of the rear spring hanger just flat out failed and bent due to rotting.