Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2009, 05:15 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Looking for a V10 owner in central OH

With all of the debates about how the PSD stacks up against the V10, I've decided I want to do a real world test. Unfortunately, since many involved in the debate live in Texas, I have to go hunting for someone with a comparable truck.

I live in Grove City, OH which is right outside of Columbus. Ideally I'd like to find someone with a 3V V10, preferably with the automatic transmission. I'd like to meet up sometime this weekend to drag around heavy things for awhile. I can provide the trailer, and I'll have it loaded to somewhere between 9-10,000 lbs. I was thinking we could try both city, highway, and the nastiest hills we can find with both trucks, and then we could both come back on FTE and post the results.

Anyone interested? I'll be home this weekend...

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 09-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Posting Guru

scraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to behold
If I get any work in that neck of the woods I'd be more than happy to take you up on that offer. We could pull 9-10K, But I've pulled 12-13K already and the combo engine/gears/dually is pretty sweet. I'd like to see how the dsl pulls, only had dsl in the big boy toys on the job site. Nothing like a dsl grunting with no problem pulling a load brings a smile every time.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Modular motor junkie

bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.
Sounds like fun. Shame I am in texas with a 2v.

My IDI can't out pull anything.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:04 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
That works for me. With my current job I'm only home once every few weeks, for 3 or 4 days at a time. I'll probably be home between Friday and Tuesday or so. Bigger trailer works for me, the biggest I have is only rated at 10K GVW, and I don't wanna overload it. Only issue is that I don't have a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch.

Anyone else interested in joining the fun?

On edit: Just saw your post, Bill. 2Vs are welcome, as are any other SDs who wanna have a little fun, whatever engine may be in it.

Currently truckless.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Modular motor junkie

bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy001 View Post
That works for me. With my current job I'm only home once every few weeks, for 3 or 4 days at a time. I'll probably be home between Friday and Tuesday or so. Bigger trailer works for me, the biggest I have is only rated at 10K GVW, and I don't wanna overload it. Only issue is that I don't have a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch.

On edit: Just saw your post, Bill. 2Vs are welcome, as are any other SDs who wanna have a little fun, whatever engine may be in it.
haha, thanks, but I cant just go on a trip like that.
Way to much crap to do at home.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Posting Guru

QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.
You should post your test plan here before you do it. Otherwise, people are just going to complain about what you did and deny it was legit.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Postmaster

Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.
u could tow around the heavy trailer for awhile for fun, and then when ur PSD breaks, the V10 can tow u home..

8-)

just stirring up the pot..hahaha

"list of previous owned Fords much to long to list here.."
Old 09-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Elder User

suzuki0702 is starting off with a positive reputation.
id come but my v8 would run home with its tails between its rear wheels!

2004 F250 CrewCab, FX4 Off-road, 5.4, K&N FIPK, Whelen Hideaway strobes, twin 1000cca batteries, 8' 6" western proplus
Old 09-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Modular motor junkie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life View Post
u could tow around the heavy trailer for awhile for fun, and then when ur PSD breaks, the V10 can tow u home..
You should make that your sig!

Old 09-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Post Fiend

i eat hybrids has a very good reputation on FTE.i eat hybrids has a very good reputation on FTE.i eat hybrids has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy001 View Post

I wouldnt mind comin and messin round with some trailers haha. I dont have my v-10 excur anymore but i just bought a 07 F-150 5.4 4x4. Now i know it wont compare to ur SD but id still would like to see what she can do maxed out. The most ive towed with it was a 27 foot boat 7k and it towed it very well. BTW, im in cleveland oh

2006 F150 Ext cab black (traded in on F350)

2001 Ford Excursion, 4x2, 6.8L V-10, 4" lift, 33" BFG A/T (Totaled, May 2009 RIP)
Old 09-17-2009, 12:13 AM
Posting Guru

78bigbronco is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well I'd drop by but I wont have any freetime until... I dont know... maybe next year I got a ton to do before it gets cold, and hope to have some time to hunt this year.

Besides, 10k shouldnt be an issue for either. And it shouldnt be much a surprise the diesel will pull a bit easier. IMO its not that the V10 is 'stronger' or pulls easier cause it aint, but it can still do what you want it to do and cost less with less possibly headaches and repairs down the road. But it would be fun just to compare em.

Used to live in Gahanna, finally moved back to the county - towards mt vernon ways. Still work in downtown and youll see my CC LB 350 parked in the arena parking garage lol. I got a couple special parking spots picked out, they are the only ones I can fit into. Good thing I get to work before 6am when its still empty! Still waiting for them to leave a note on my truck saying i cant park it in there because its too big but they havent yet.

09 F-350 V10 4x4 6spd CC/8' ordered 5/26/09 delivered 7/6/09
99 F-150 V6 4x4 5spd RegCab/Short bed
78 Big Bronco 4x4 (a work in progress)
Old 09-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill11012 View Post
haha, thanks, but I cant just go on a trip like that.
Way to much crap to do at home.

I'm still in DFW area...... with a hill we can pull, and interstate, and an 1/8th mile drag strip 5 minutes away !

you name it, I'll try it and you can show me how it's done ....

or are you "busy that weekend" ?????
all gone:12 MVP Destiny 355RE 5er,12 F250 6.7 CCSB Grey Metallic Lariat w/ Ultimate Pkg,05 Ex 4x4 6L,03 Ex 4x4 6L,02 Ex 4x2 7.3L
Old 09-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
You might want to try posting this in the V10 forum
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 09-17-2009, 05:45 PM

TomB985
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwkTrip View Post
You should post your test plan here before you do it. Otherwise, people are just going to complain about what you did and deny it was legit.
You're right, the only problem is that I haven't come up with a good one yet. I wanted to talk it over with whoever decided to come out and play, so we could get a plan worked out that sounded good to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfanatic4life
Works for me, but my truck won't fit in my trailer. A 2WD might. And a V10 powered truck may even be light enough not to break my ramp door!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki0702
id come but my v8 would run home with its tails between its rear wheels!
All are welcome, regardless of engine. That's why I posted it here. Yeah, I'm most interested in V10 competition, but I have a lot of respect for the 5.4, and it would be interesting to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
I wouldnt mind comin and messin round with some trailers haha. I dont have my v-10 excur anymore but i just bought a 07 F-150 5.4 4x4. Now i know it wont compare to ur SD but id still would like to see what she can do maxed out. The most ive towed with it was a 27 foot boat 7k and it towed it very well. BTW, im in cleveland oh
If you can make it down this way, come on down. I don't think I'll have the time to travel all the way up there, though. I had a similar '07 F150 that I traded in on this truck. For a half ton, it did an admirable job with 9,000 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bigbronco
Well I'd drop by but I wont have any freetime until... I dont know... maybe next year I got a ton to do before it gets cold, and hope to have some time to hunt this year.

Besides, 10k shouldnt be an issue for either. And it shouldnt be much a surprise the diesel will pull a bit easier. IMO its not that the V10 is 'stronger' or pulls easier cause it aint, but it can still do what you want it to do and cost less with less possibly headaches and repairs down the road. But it would be fun just to compare em.

Used to live in Gahanna, finally moved back to the county - towards mt vernon ways. Still work in downtown and youll see my CC LB 350 parked in the arena parking garage lol. I got a couple special parking spots picked out, they are the only ones I can fit into. Good thing I get to work before 6am when its still empty! Still waiting for them to leave a note on my truck saying i cant park it in there because its too big but they havent yet.
The bold print above is why I'm interested! As a PSD owner, I truly believe the V10 is the better value engine here. I don't expect it to handle things quite as easily, but at the same time I believe it's the best gasoline engine available to tow with, and I think a 3V like yours would give my truck quite a run for it's money.

Pretty country up there, my sister moved to Mount Vernon a year or two ago. I get up there every once and awhile, but it's a bit of a hike for someone who has no free time. Maybe next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krewat
You might want to try posting this in the V10 forum
That was my first thought as the V10 is the one I'm most interested in. But I'm also interested in any other Ford trucks that wanted to compare, that's why I posted here.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Currently truckless.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Senior User

Mmaxed is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't need to come. I have put my V10 up against a friends 6.4 pulling similar loads on long hills between 4-7000 ft. When his PS wasn't broke in and had a problem I could out pull him on the hills at lower elevation. Now with his computer problem fixed and some more miles on the 6.4 it's not even close. The V10 isn't in the game. Still pulls good for a gasser but can't compete with the turbo.

BTW, do you have real hills in OH, or is the hump where the interstate goes over the under pass considered a tough pull??
Old 09-17-2009, 07:02 PM