1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a V10 owner in central OH

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:24 AM
LadderDogV10
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write up,like i said if it's done again and ya want a 3V V10 you have one here. I'll just need some advanced notice to make sure i have the day off.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:41 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool beans !!!

Looked like a nice day for a tow in the park

and, from the pic, that DOES look like a hill you wouldn't want to start on regularlly with 10K behind you

ESPECIALLY with boosted 4x4 launches

Old 09-21-2009, 10:18 AM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang. Looked like fun. Now I wish I had gone... Millersburg is probably closer to me than Grove City is. Sounds like Matt woulda smoked my clutch though .

Old 09-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I think that hill start would have been brutal on a clutch! When we started out I told everyone to drive it as hard as they want, and that "she likes it rough". I figured if we're really going to see how it could handle rough conditions, I wanted to see how well it could keep cool under extreme pressures. Throughout the test, even with a very heavy foot, the transmission didn't get above 180. The hill climb, with the full throttle 4x4 launch and the subsequent 1-mile pull got the engine up to 220 and trans to 200, which really impressed me.

Next time I'll make sure my Scangauge is setup to read tranny temps in the gas trucks so we can compare how well those can stay cool under these conditions.

I, for one, am very interested to see the difference up that hill between an automatic and 6-speed truck. I think I know how that's gonna go, but it sure would be fun to see...

Old 09-21-2009, 10:56 AM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I think that hill start would have been brutal on a clutch! When we started out I told everyone to drive it as hard as they want, and that "she likes it rough". I figured if we're really going to see how it could handle rough conditions, I wanted to see how well it could keep cool under extreme pressures. Throughout the test, even with a very heavy foot, the transmission didn't get above 180. The hill climb, with the full throttle 4x4 launch and the subsequent 1-mile pull got the engine up to 220 and trans to 200, which really impressed me.

Next time I'll make sure my Scangauge is setup to read tranny temps in the gas trucks so we can compare how well those can stay cool under these conditions.

I, for one, am very interested to see the difference up that hill between an automatic and 6-speed truck. I think I know how that's gonna go, but it sure would be fun to see...
Yeah it could be, I am not that experienced in pulling. I do more hauling personally than pulling though I do want to be able to pull a few things in the future. That extra Low gear should help somewhat though I would hope.

Hey if you do it again and its up north again I might even be able to get a couple of my cousins to join (maybe, probably not, but who knows), ones a 7.3 and the other is a 5.4 both 2000-ish. They are both manuals too though, to be honest almost everyone I know has the stick, except for my uncle that has a 7.3 auto since his legs are messed up. I dont know if any of you have goosneck hitches but they got a big ol goosneck they haul farm equipment on, might be able to get the weight on it too but that might take a lot of convincing and some paperwork signed lol.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I don't think either of our trucks have a gooseneck hitch, but that was the first thing that came to mind when I was thinking on how I could get a heavier trailer.

Unfortunately I couldn't justify the purchase of a gooseneck hitch unless I had a gooseneck trailer to haul around, which I don't.

The 7.3 and 5.4 stick would be great to get out there, and it would be even better if we can get similar year automatic trucks as well. I've never done anything with a 7.3L, so I'd really enjoy getting the chance to see how it does.

Is it stock? A tuned diesel IMHO wouldn't be the best to compare with considering the amount of power people can get out of them. Mike's 5-star tuned V10 seemed to behave much like every other modular engine I've driven, with the big exception of the transmission's excellent towing manners.

This was worth it for me just to help get mine broken in. With 4,300 miles on it now, with over 200 miles of it being about the heaviest use most PSDs will ever see, it's time for it's first oil change!

Old 09-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
So I was playing around on Google maps and I think I came close to figuring at the grade and distances of the two hills.

Mast Hill which is the first one we took at speed that was smaller grade but longer and straighter hill. Distance 0.75 miles and goes from 850' to 1100' for a 6.3% grade.

Buffalo Hill which is the one where we stopped part way up and all the pics are from. Distance 0.265 miles and goes from 800' to 1020' for a 15.72% grade.

All my numbers are from the limited data available from Google maps so I may be off a little bit one way or another but it confirms our guesses on the grades.

I'll have a few other hills in mind that could include a nice circuit with the other two hills we did before. So when is everyone ready for round 2?

Old 09-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Yeah same here on the goose neck. I don't have one and I don't see getting one just for playing around.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If we could get a tuned 6.0 that didn't break under pressure.... Jk and a 3valve v10. This unscientific study would awnser a lot of questions. if I was a little closer I wouldn't mind joining. Would be nice to see how mine faired stock and tuned. I know my tow tune is amazing with a trailer vs stock

Old 09-21-2009, 12:22 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Monster-4
So I was playing around on Google maps and I think I came close to figuring at the grade and distances of the two hills.

Mast Hill which is the first one we took at speed that was smaller grade but longer and straighter hill. Distance 0.75 miles and goes from 850' to 1100' for a 6.3% grade.

Buffalo Hill which is the one where we stopped part way up and all the pics are from. Distance 0.265 miles and goes from 800' to 1020' for a 15.72% grade.

All my numbers are from the limited data available from Google maps so I may be off a little bit one way or another but it confirms our guesses on the grades.

I'll have a few other hills in mind that could include a nice circuit with the other two hills we did before. So when is everyone ready for round 2?
Ahh, i knew we all guessed right about buffalo hill bein a 15% grade lol But all in all, this trip was a blast. I do believe though that my truck and mikes v-10 would perform a hell lot better on those grades with a 4.30 style rear end. Now that i just got home, its time to upload some picks to facebook and FTE. But it would be nice to get some more trucks, perfably a 3v v-10 5R110 and a 09 F150 with the new 6 speed, a 6.0 and a 7.3. Just to compare new trucks to the old trucks and see how much of a difference in how fords trucks have improved over that past couple years. But other then that i really think we should start plannin another get together soon. Next time tom, ill bring my exmark so we can break over 10k hopefully. BTW, thanks again mike for payin for our lunch!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
BTW, thanks again mike for payin for our lunch!
No problem! Thank you guys for making the trip to the middle of nowhere to play for the day.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
I do believe though that my truck and mikes v-10 would perform a hell lot better on those grades with a 4.30 style rear end.
It's one of the things I really want to do if I can find someone to do them for the right price and is good at it. I hate to pay someone but I am not willing to do this sense I have no experience at changing gears. I got a little while to find someone though. This will probably be a 2010 mod.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:39 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Me and my '08 V10 are very excited about this test. About how far are you from Philadelphia.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:16 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Monster-4
It's one of the things I really want to do if I can find someone to do them for the right price and is good at it. I hate to pay someone but I am not willing to do this sense I have no experience at changing gears. I got a little while to find someone though. This will probably be a 2010 mod.
We just changed our 99' from 373 to 430 nice improvement for sure... Had a customer change from factory 430 to 488...so bought those gears... YEP thats right used 430 gears........thats how we roll....

Back on topic, I would like to attend the 2nd event.... looks to be about 9 hour ride.... ....I could bring the 08 3v.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
It's about 7-71/2 hours from Philadelphia. If you are still intrested post here.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-part-2-a.html

Quick Reply: Looking for a V10 owner in central OH