1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Walmart battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Chitownhillbilly
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The reason some batteries from Wally world are good and some suck is that they have multiple manufactures that slap their private labels on their batteries. The Best US made battery manufacturer is Johnson Controls, who makes Interstate, Optima and just about every other high quality battery out there. This means if you walk into wally world or Auto zone or any other you could walk out with a good Johnson Controls battery with a private label for a lot cheaper than an Interstate. But you have to look for the Manufactures stamp and make sure it says Johnson Controls.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:37 PM
XzXPatrickXzX
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work in the automotive dept. of wal-mart (unfortunately), and people bring batteries back all the time. Not because they are bad, they just want a new battery before their warranty runs out. Alot of times you can see where the terminals are melted on top posts where people have intentionally messed them up. Walmarts batteries come from Exide, i dont know who they are on contract with. But I bought a battery from there a couple months ago and its done fine for me. Thats not really enough time to tell much but so far so good so what.

Its really like chitown hillbilly said there are good and bad apples. Ive seen people buy a battery and then come back later with it and we test it, and its bad.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Chitownhillbilly
Senior User
Originally Posted by XzXPatrickXzX
Walmarts batteries come from Exide, i dont know who they are on contract with.
Walmart most likely buys batteries from whatever manufacturer is closer to their regional distribution hubs. Since Johnson is located in Milwaukee we probably get there batteries. I'm guessing your down south, since I think Exide is in Georgia.

Batts are heavy and expensive to ship, Wally world will do business with the cheapest alternative.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:20 PM
greyghost85
Postmaster
how can you be a hillbilly and dis walmart? man, we dress up to go to walmart! lol

Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Mine is made by Exide, they're somebody I trust as we had a UPS unit (uninterruptable
power supply) made by them powering our computer room at a place I used to work
while in college and it performed pretty well.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:59 PM
rlester
Mountain Pass
I go to the dump to get mine...

A couple of years ago, here in Stony Plain Alberta, they spent a few million on changing the local dump over to a high tech "transfer station". Very nice facility with a special shed called "take it or leave it". I've left good stuff there that I didn't want to bother selling, and have also picked up many good things. First that comes to mind is the 20" Chainsaw that I picked up and its the best one I have now. Starts on second pull. Bikes for the cabin and my kids, tools, toys for the kids, nice water cooler with built in fridge, good 30" tv (4 years old) for our cabin, brand new microwave that still had the plastic protector cover on the front panel.

They have a spot to put batteries for recycling, mostly car batteries. A few months ago, I started snooping around in there every time I go to the dump (once every two weeks) and once in a while I find a perfectly good battery, anywhere from one to 4 years old. Only had one bad one out of five that I took home.

Ryan.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:22 PM
greyghost85
Postmaster
now thats awesome,les

Old 09-17-2009, 11:48 PM
jishieldsjr
New User
Originally Posted by horsepuller
Yeah, I've had some cheepo's that seemed to last forever and some expensive long life batteries that seemed to croak after a year or two. I don't think name brand has much to do with it though. There are only one or two battey manufacturers in the country and they make them for everybody. I don't know if batteries are imported.

i used to work for a dealership in the parts department. one day they sent me to get a battery for a used car they had on the lot. i went to interstate battery and they guy says to me "where you work?" i said, chrysler, so he goes to his office and comes back with a mopar sticker and puts on a blank battery and says there you go....i asked all your batteries are blank? no stickers when they come in? he says yea, and laughs........makes you think.
john

Old 09-18-2009, 12:17 AM
Jmeyer1990
Posting Guru
As long as my battery does not do this...
I am fine...

Mercedes model battery.
Do not know the manufacturer, but I have my mom's old battery in the garage, so I will check and see who made that one.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:39 AM
wesran
Senior User
Originally Posted by Chitownhillbilly
The reason some batteries from Wally world are good and some suck is that they have multiple manufactures that slap their private labels on their batteries. The Best US made battery manufacturer is Johnson Controls, who makes Interstate, Optima and just about every other high quality battery out there. This means if you walk into wally world or Auto zone or any other you could walk out with a good Johnson Controls battery with a private label for a lot cheaper than an Interstate. But you have to look for the Manufactures stamp and make sure it says Johnson Controls.
How can you recognize this mark? A description maybe?