Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

How much can this truck tow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:16 PM
landon460
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much can this truck tow?

I have a 96 F350 Regular Cab LB 4x4 with a 460/c6 combo and would love to make the leap to the diesel world. I really don't want to take out another loan to buy a PSD. I found a 1991 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 with the 7.3idi/E4OD and I was wondering if any of you have similar setups like this and how much can do you tow with it STOCK. By stock I mean no more than the basics like intake and exhaust mods. I want something cheap and easy to work on if a problem should arise. I can do extensive vehicle work and mods, I just don't want to deal with it with another kid on the way. I need a powerful, reliable truck with more than just one bench seat. Thats actually the main reason why I want a new(to me) truck. Since I need a new one, it might as well be a diesel. Either find a truck with the 7.3idi or end up putting a ZF5 in my 96 for better mileage and only take part of my family with me when I go places.
Those of you who respond, please include your axle ratio as well so I know what setup you have and what I should look for. I need it to tow 10,000lbs. on occasion.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd find an IDI with a turbo on it already. It will get the job done, not as fast as a PSD but it will get you there. I have pulled 9600lbs with my truck without any problems. I may have pulled more, but couldn't say for sure. I have 4:10 gears with 33" tires. The best part is, my IDI with a load gets the same mpg my 460 does empty.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:37 PM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you find one with a factory turbo and put the ats upgraded housing and downpipe on it will eat any 1st gen psd.but even without the turbo it will pull anything you want it to,it may not be the fastest to get there but will hands down be the most durable.someone will light me up for saying this but if my idi goes i might be dropping a 12 valve cummins in.......but the idi is most definatly my favorite of all time.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:41 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I see you hit a dyno.

220 HP and 420 Ft. Lbs. at the crank if you figure 25% loss at the rear wheels.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, I feel it could have bee a bit higher if the dyno had been able to load the truck. I was only able to hit 6psi on the dyno while I can do 9psi on the street. A friend of mine who also has a 1993 turbo IDI had the same problem. Still respectable though.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:00 AM
landon460
Senior User
I am not looking for a turbo 7.3idi. The truck I am inquiring about is a 1991 7.3idi non-turbo. I don't really want a turbo equipped truck. I just want the trusty old 7.3 in a truck with a roomy cab. That is the truck I would like to get feedback about. I am not looking for the most possible power. In fact, if a good crew cab 6.9 truck comes along I will probably buy it if the price is right. Do any of you guys tow with a stock 7.3idi non-turbo?

Old 09-15-2009, 12:09 AM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
i have pulled with them before with pretty heavy loads and they did ok.david85 and dave s. will be able to give you more info as they seem to have the best advice out of most people or atleast the most frequent

Old 09-15-2009, 12:24 AM
landon460
Senior User
Originally Posted by rupejosh
i have pulled with them before with pretty heavy loads and they did ok.david85 and dave s. will be able to give you more info as they seem to have the best advice out of most people or atleast the most frequent
Thanks for the help.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:28 AM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
i wish i could give you some more info.im just not too good at explaining things.lol you will be happy with and idi.they have more power and way better mileage than a gasser.in my opinion they are easier to work on and troubleshoot than a gasser as well

Old 09-15-2009, 01:11 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Originally Posted by landon460
I am not looking for a turbo 7.3idi. The truck I am inquiring about is a 1991 7.3idi non-turbo. I don't really want a turbo equipped truck. I just want the trusty old 7.3 in a truck with a roomy cab. That is the truck I would like to get feedback about. I am not looking for the most possible power. In fact, if a good crew cab 6.9 truck comes along I will probably buy it if the price is right. Do any of you guys tow with a stock 7.3idi non-turbo?
I have a 1990 non-turbo 7.3 dually, E4OD transmission and 4.10 rear gears. I have tipped the scales at right about 32,000 lbs for truck + trailer + load combined, it took forever to accelerate but she got me there safe. So yeah, that truck you're looking at will work just fine for you, like other said it will be a little slow without the turbo (especially up hills), but she'll get the job done just fine and likely gett better fuel economy than the 460.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Jim Allen
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by M.L.S.C.
I have tipped the scales at right about 32,000 lbs for truck + trailer + load combined .
Hoooeee! That's about double what the truck is rated for! I've towed more than that but they were grain trailers with SMV placards and I didn't go above 25 mph. I used to travel with an overhead camper plus a 30 foot Terry Manor trailer loaded for a long trip, tipping the scales at almost 19K (whichis more than rated). Even with a Banks kit and a built pump, my truck was workin' big time just to accelerate on level ground, let along getting over the Rockies, the Sierra, the Appalachian and every other mountain range we crossed back then. Wow, 32K... that's scary, man!

Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 AM
yotee
Senior User
Originally Posted by landon460
i have an 89 single rear wheel crew cab with 38.5" tires and 4.10 gears and tow some seriouse grades. even with the big tires it does the job just fine, not fast but fine.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:44 PM
jmmartin
Elder User
mine is an 87 6.9 all stock except for 3" from the y back, t-19 4sp man, 3.55 rear extended cab(the one in my avatar) towing a bumper pull lowboy w. 4k mine works to build up speed, but with a 13K 5-er tarvel trailer it will roll on with no problems. i get about 17 empty and with the 4k load on reciever hitch. havent gone more than 30 miles or so with the 5-er. have also put a little over 8k of rock directly in the bed. squashed the tires, had the springs mashed good too, but when i came off the material yard where i worked, i never looked back getting up with the traffic.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:00 PM
84 f250 6.9
Posting Guru
32000 lbs simply amazing

Old 09-15-2009, 09:52 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Jim Allen
Hoooeee! That's about double what the truck is rated for! I've towed more than that but they were grain trailers with SMV placards and I didn't go above 25 mph. I used to travel with an overhead camper plus a 30 foot Terry Manor trailer loaded for a long trip, tipping the scales at almost 19K (whichis more than rated). Even with a Banks kit and a built pump, my truck was workin' big time just to accelerate on level ground, let along getting over the Rockies, the Sierra, the Appalachian and every other mountain range we crossed back then. Wow, 32K... that's scary, man!
Yeah man, tell me about it - but was a matter of either getting the backhoe to the jobsite, or my buddy losing the contract and getting his house forclosed on. Which is why we used only backroads and very late at night, and most of the time I had the pedal on the floor blowing smoke big time! Stopping really was no issue cause the trailer had brakes on all 3 axles, but hills, I don't think I could have pulled up even a 4% grade, haha! And honestly I'm very very surprised the transmission is still running strong, I had this thing pretty much written off as I was hooking up the trailer, but my buddy with the backhoe had promised me the E4OD out of his parts PSD truck if we blew up mine. Will I do it again - no freakin way, not unless it's a matter of do or die like that time...

Quick Reply: How much can this truck tow?