Sponsored by: Moser

Tow/ Haul mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:28 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by tvsjr
I guess he was expecting some modicum of common sense. Sadly, you failed that test.
Originally Posted by D8chumley
I was just pointing it out so you know. That guy hasn't visited the forum in almost a year. Thanks tvsjr
This isn't the right way to treat new people. It is everyone's responsibility to welcome and try to assist new members.

Threads are left indefinitely for personal research. Sure, we all kid around about thread mining and such but............

Old 05-27-2014, 05:51 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My apologies Mr Tim. Welcome to the forum kjt8ro

Old 06-29-2014, 10:53 AM
kjt8ro
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
This isn't the right way to treat new people. It is everyone's responsibility to welcome and try to assist new members.

Threads are left indefinitely for personal research. Sure, we all kid around about thread mining and such but............

Thanks,
If my post help one other person looking for the answer great. I wont be posting anything else there are other more friendly forums and less critical users.
People are always looking for help or answers no matter how old the posts are ~ I was reading most of them and when I heard the wrong advise I replied, guess I shouldn't have here.

good luck & have a blessed day.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:59 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Apologies were made and accepted, no need to leave the forum because of it

Old 06-29-2014, 12:32 PM
kjt8ro
New User
Apologies were made and accepted, no need to leave the forum because of it
"My apologies Mr Tim". Glad to see Mr.Tim accepted it

Old 06-29-2014, 12:39 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Originally Posted by kjt8ro
"My apologies Mr Tim". Glad to see Mr.Tim accepted it
Ok I'm sorry to you also mr (or mrs) kjit8ro

Old 06-29-2014, 05:46 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Crickets...

Old 07-05-2014, 05:57 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Thanks,
People are always looking for help or answers no matter how old the posts are ~ I was reading most of them and when I heard the wrong advise I replied, guess I shouldn't have here.
I have a question for you then. I use my FIL's trailer, 3500GVW Big Tex. It doesn't have brakes. What should I do? Should I not use it? It is PA inspected and was purchased that way, check their website.
I wouldn't say the "wrong" advice was given, maybe some people are comfortable towing more than 2K and not having trailer brakes. And I used the trailer yesterday to haul my zero turn mower to Moms and that's what made me think of this. Have a great weekend and remember why we really celebrate this

Old 07-05-2014, 08:41 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I understand your point, Tim .... but at the risk of sounding like a smarty, your question has a definitive answer.

It really depends on your state. in PA, your trailer brake laws are fairly complicated, but rather generous as well.

In short, you need brakes if weight of the trailer exceeds:
1: 3000 lbs or
2: 40% of the weight of the towing vehicle or
3: if the GVWR of the trailer exceeds empty weight of the towing vehicle.

In your state, when towing with an f150, the 2000 lbs rule is actually going to be pretty close.

Your speed limit while towing is also 55mph, according to the link below.

http://towingworld.com/towinglawsbystate.cfm?state2=PA

Old 07-05-2014, 01:34 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Thanks for the info Mike

Old 07-08-2014, 07:43 PM
kjt8ro
New User
I have a question for you then. I use my FIL's trailer, 3500GVW Big Tex. It doesn't have brakes. What should I do? Should I not use it? It is PA inspected and was purchased that way, check their website.
I wouldn't say the "wrong" advice was given, maybe some people are comfortable towing more than 2K and not having trailer brakes. And I used the trailer yesterday to haul my zero turn mower to Moms and that's what made me think of this. Have a great weekend and remember why we really celebrate this
IF you read my original post I said;
Check your local state law but most states require a trailer brake at 2K or more. The brake can both assist in stopping or when lightly applied can stop the trailer from swaying.I drove truck across NYS and had a boat & travel trailer both had brakes at 2k. came from factory that way for that state.
I drove Commercial trucks for 14yrs & you would never believe how many car/truck & trailer combo's would be wrecked because of sway, driver error or no trailer brakes for the weight.

I had a friend that sold them & Lowe Trailers, when I called him I was told "I wouldn't sell any trailer rated over 2500# with-out brakes for many reasons, but he doesn't want to be sued either with someone pushing the limit"
As far as your FIL's Big Tex 35ls, next time look they are set up for 1300# to 1700# & a G.V.W.R. of 2995lbs and an axle rating of 3500# depending on there size & length and yes they are set up for brake additions (3,500# EZ Lube Axle w/Brake Flanges for Easy Brake Addition) they have an Electric brake option he must not have purchased. per someone that sold them.
Some people drive 60+ on ice & snow cause they got 4WD, doesn't mean they are better drivers, they can stop better, hold the road better or are SAFER drivers, more so "THINK" they can cause there truck came with 4WD. Same with brakes. What a great forum lol...

Old 07-08-2014, 07:47 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
I'm well aware that the brakes were an "option". He did not get the brakes. And yes it is a great forum.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:25 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Check your local state law but most states require a trailer brake at 2K or more. The brake can both assist in stopping or when lightly applied can stop the trailer from swaying.I drove truck across NYS and had a boat & travel trailer both had brakes at 2k. came from factory that way for that state.
I've looked at most of the state laws and the vast majority require them at 3,000. very few require brakes at weight less than that.

Ford covers their butts in the manual by stating that the brake system of the truck is designed to work up to the GVWR of the truck, and that if the combination of truck and trailer exceeds the GVWR of the truck, then trailer brakes are required.

safe answer, but is somewhat ambiguous at the same time. that is to say that the truck with the HD payload could "safely" tow a larger trailer without brakes because it has a GVWR that is notably higher.... all well and good, but they get the exact same brake package, with the exception of 7 lugs vs 6....

regardless, trailer brakes are never a bad idea. the ability to stop a swaying trailer with the trailer brakes is a benefit not to be scoffed at.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 PM
kjt8ro
New User
Check your local state law but most states require a trailer brake at 2K or more.
WOW ya guy sure read only the parts you want!!! then pick them apart!
Can anyone tell me how you delete your profile here??? I have looked up & down plus tried contacting the site with no replies.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:38 PM
gdhillon
Senior User
So to steer a little off topic, could a guy use t/h mode empty when going down steep grades?

I am coming from a manual IDI and I am the type of guy that would rather gear down then ride my brakes....i think I read about this on this very thread but o clock already happened for me

Quick Reply: Tow/ Haul mode