Sponsored by: Moser

Tow/ Haul mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:31 AM
RatherBeCamping
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris:

The prodigy is still on when connected, and does continue to assess how you apply the brakes even when trailer is disconnected. it will show the -.DC.- on the viewer indicating disconnected. The electronics still receive input from how you apply your brake pedal, I.e. stab, gradual pressure, hard pressure with letoff, etc.....

Overdrive off and tow haul are 2 different animals as far as gears go. There are people with more knowledge than me here, but they are not the same thing.

I traded the 05 (LOved that truck) for a 2009 F250 6.4L (love this truck)

Barry's description of his problem lead me to believe he wasn't using brake control....

Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 AM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
Wow I ran a Prodigy on my Dodge connected with "DC" showing thinking it was in the off position and no longer connected to the truck or it's systems. I guess I didn't read the instruction booklet if stated. I'm glad I bought the truck that had in the internal controller, I figured that if Ford had gone to the trouble to work out a trans/brake/anti-sway system I should get it complete and it works great. Chris

Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 AM
RatherBeCamping
New User
The wife drives the truck 90% of the time..... she's one of the types that races to the stop light I couldn't figure out why I always had to increase the gain when I towed !@#$% I have the integrated controller now, so that should alleviate all the guess work now! For you Barry: I highly recommend you use a brake controller when you tow, even if it is only 4K. You'll be amazed at the difference, and you will save your brakes!!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:17 AM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Okay, you answered my next question...what would be the minimum weight with the brake controller? or does it matter?

Old 09-27-2009, 08:32 AM
RatherBeCamping
New User
I always went by the rule of thumb... If you can tow off your bumper... you don't need it... if you can't, then you do.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BarryMc
When it surged it was pushing the truck forward, the brakes were acting as if they weren't working, I shifted into neutral to stop momentum. I possibly over-reacted seeing that was the first tow on steep roads and me not being used to the tranny.

Well I can say, I agree with trying to learn the new Tranny... Mine liked to hang in gears for ever. I could put threw my neighborhood (not towing) and it would stay in first gear, at 2800 rpm's. I was mad and went back to the dealer with my hands flying all over...

The salesman was nice, who now is a friend. He hooked me up to the Motorsport tech, who took my truck into service, and adjusted shift strategies, amongst other things.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
Okay, you answered my next question...what would be the minimum weight with the brake controller? or does it matter?
I have always had trailers with brakes so I have always used a controller. Now I have varied the output as my loads get either heavier or lighter but I have found with this new Ford system, I have been setting for the heavier load and leaving it at that setting. Even after the load is off the trailer brakes very nicely. It almost as if the internal control pulses the trailer brakes, I don't if it does but it feels that way. Chris

Old 09-28-2009, 09:41 AM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have only towed twice with my 09. first time was a tractor/trailer(22ft) combo at about 5k lbs, had trailer brakes and used tow/haul mode. took a little bit to get used to the trans shift settings. i wasnt used to it coming out of an 05 f150 that didnt have that. i was used to downshifting myself if i needed to.

the second time was 4wheeler/trailer combo at about 1500lbs. didnt used tow/haul mode. it pulled just fine without it, just like it wasnt even back there.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:54 PM
graysailor
Freshman User
Good inputs guys. I thought the tow haul mode was only for going down hill. Two guys at the RV dealer said to put it into tow haul mode whenever towing and you guys confirmed that. Thanks for the input. First tow is tomorrow.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:00 PM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Excerpted from the owner's manual .....
D (Drive) with Tow/Haul On

The Tow/Haul feature improves transmission operation when towing a trailer or a heavy load. All transmission gear ranges are available when using Tow/Haul.

Tow/Haul can be activated by pressing the transmission control switch on the end of the gearshift lever (column-shift transmission) or on the side of the gearshift lever (floor-shift transmission).

The TOW HAUL indicator light will illuminate in the instrument cluster.

Tow/haul delays upshifts to reduce frequency of transmission shifting. Tow/haul also provides engine braking in all forward gears when the transmission is in the D (Drive) position; this engine braking will slow the vehicle and assist the driver in controlling the vehicle when descending a grade. Depending on driving conditions and load conditions, the transmission may downshift, slow the vehicle and control the vehicle speed when descending a hill, without the accelerator pedal being pressed. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based upon the amount the brake pedal is pressed.

To deactivate the tow/haul feature and return to normal driving mode, press the button on the end of the gearshift lever. The TOW HAUL light will no longer be illuminated. Tow/haul will also deactivate when the vehicle is powered down.
------------------------------

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >

Old 05-26-2014, 12:22 AM
kjt8ro
New User

At 2K you need brakes. Check your local state law but most states require a trailer brake at 2K or more. The brake can both assist in stopping or when lightly applied can stop the trailer from swaying.
I drove truck across NYS and had a boat & travel trailer both had brakes at 2k. If you have pulled any weight stopping isnt as easy, hard on your truck & can burn out your brakes. If you tow anything AND have the family with you; put the best brakes you can find on the truck. It just might save your life.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:45 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kjt8ro
At 2K you need brakes. Check your local state law but most states require a trailer brake at 2K or more. The brake can both assist in stopping or when lightly applied can stop the trailer from swaying.
I drove truck across NYS and had a boat & travel trailer both had brakes at 2k. If you have pulled any weight stopping isnt as easy, hard on your truck & can burn out your brakes. If you tow anything AND have the family with you; put the best brakes you can find on the truck. It just might save your life.
Guy, that post is almost 5 years old

Old 05-26-2014, 10:31 PM
kjt8ro
New User
Originally Posted by D8chumley
Guy, that post is almost 5 years old

MMMM I didn't realize that but I guess since YOU READ IT, then it shouldn't matter.
If they don't want people to post after a certain date or age maybe that should be posted too ........ just say'n!!

Old 05-26-2014, 11:18 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
MMMM I didn't realize that but I guess since YOU READ IT, then it shouldn't matter.
If they don't want people to post after a certain date or age maybe that should be posted too ........ just say'n!!
I guess he was expecting some modicum of common sense. Sadly, you failed that test.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:27 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
I was just pointing it out so you know. That guy hasn't visited the forum in almost a year. Thanks tvsjr

Quick Reply: Tow/ Haul mode