Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Removal of intake manifold on 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:57 PM
david campbell
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
want to throw my two cents in here. I am at present dealing with anintake manifold gasket issue. thread titled " how smart are you"
the dealer told us that our spitt and sputtering (acting like a misfire)while driving, was the manifold gasket leaking air and therefore the gasket need replaced. they made this determination by spraying carb cleaner on the intake. I took there word at it and dove in head first. Big mistake. I got it up and running with the help of this forum and now im right back where i start. but hey i have a new intake gasket right

Old 01-09-2014, 08:30 PM
shawnfyi
New User
Well, I got it all back in but still having issues. Still not running right and after driving around for ten minutes check engine came on and codes p1132, p1152, p0172 popped up. Any ideas?...

As always your input is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:55 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by shawnfyi
Well, I got it all back in but still having issues. Still not running right and after driving around for ten minutes check engine came on and codes p1132, p1152, p0172 popped up. Any ideas?...
Leseeee - based on your sig line your vehicle looks to be about an ........... '03?

You forgot to hook something back up. Both fuel control O2 sensor's are stuck indicating full rich and the P0172 says Bank 1's fuel trims are at the lean limit and its still too rich.

Did you forget to hook up the fuel pressure regulator's vacuum hose?
And is the MAF and the IAT connected?

Old 01-09-2014, 09:55 PM
shawnfyi
New User
PDQFORD, Yes Sir, a 03 Expedition with a 5.4 4x4 (wifes kid hauler).

Pretty sure I hooked everything back up but will have another look in the daylight (to frustrated to go back out now). I did replace all 8 fuel injectors, all new MC plugs, and a grip of coil over packs. When taking out the air intake, the plug for the Mass air flow was being cranky for me and would not come completely undone so I disconnected it from what ever it plugs into on the driver side fender. I could of jacked it up... not sure. Would a mass air flow sensor cause all that?..

Again, Thank you for your response, I feel like I am so close to having this thing nailed but yet so far.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:35 AM
shawnfyi
New User
Oh and I did hear an odd clanking noise like the muffler making an expantion noise or something a few times...

Old 01-10-2014, 12:14 PM
shawnfyi
New User
Did you forget to hook up the fuel pressure regulator's vacuum hose?
And is the MAF and the IAT connected?[/QUOTE]

PDQFORD, Yes Sir, a 03 Expedition with a 5.4 4x4 (wifes kid hauler).

Pretty sure I hooked everything back up but will have another look in the daylight (to frustrated to go back out now). I did replace all 8 fuel injectors, all new MC plugs, and a grip of coil over packs. When taking out the air intake, the plug for the Mass air flow was being cranky for me and would not come completely undone so I disconnected it from what ever it plugs into on the driver side fender. I could of jacked it up... not sure. Would a mass air flow sensor cause all that?..

Again, Thank you for your response, I feel like I am so close to having this thing nailed but yet so far.

Oh and I did hear an odd clanking noise like the muffler making an expantion noise or something a few times...

Old 01-10-2014, 10:11 PM
david campbell
Freshman User
Start over in your mind while your looking at the engine. I do this and go as far as touching each part and bolt.
Also chk fuel pressure with key on. running and running after its at op, temp. FUEL
check for proper vacuum.AIR
check the compression. FIRE
A problem with any of these will be your starting point.
My intake job produced the EACT same problem.when I did my mental tear down I unplugged and plugged everything, hose's and vac lines. It finally corrected its self and idles just fine. Now. Go figure. But if your not in a hurry. A metal tear down is what would do.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:45 PM
shawnfyi
New User
Originally Posted by david campbell
Start over in your mind while your looking at the engine. I do this and go as far as touching each part and bolt.
Also chk fuel pressure with key on. running and running after its at op, temp. FUEL
check for proper vacuum.AIR
check the compression. FIRE
A problem with any of these will be your starting point.
My intake job produced the EACT same problem.when I did my mental tear down I unplugged and plugged everything, hose's and vac lines. It finally corrected its self and idles just fine. Now. Go figure. But if your not in a hurry. A metal tear down is what would do.
Very solid advise. Thank you.

I got home late tonight and did not have the time I wanted to diagnose fully. But, I think it's coming from that back PCV valve. I did put the O ring on it but I hear a hiss back there and I really think that's the issue. I cleaned the MAF (with mass air flow cleaner) and nothing really changed. I was super excited when I realized I heard a hiss back there. In the morning after coffee and wrestling with the kids I will try again. I will live to fight the stealer-ship off another day.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 AM
david campbell
Freshman User
my issue has been resolved. and the funny thing is, it was a small amount of water/coolent had leaked into the plug wells. i had put new boots on the coils so NEVER went back to look at the spark wells. I ASSUMED they were water tight (they are suppose to be water tight ) and low and behold . That little amount of water cause alot of problems. Again a mental inspection touch everything and unplug and inspect it all. Dont assume that was my down fall.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:14 PM
shawnfyi
New User
Glad you got it fixed David.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:00 PM
jlag
New User
Hello all,

2000 F250 5.4. Started mis-firing a couple of weeks ago. Pulled injector connectors and discovered #3 was not contributing any power. Pulled the #3 coil and discovered coolant on the boot, inside and out. I can't really see the source of the coolant leak. I have seen some cases on the forum where people have mentioned plug wells other than #1 and #5 pooling with coolant due to intake crack/gasket leak.

I am really doubting a cracked head as I have owned the truck for 11 years and never roasted it.

Is it possible for the coolant to get from the crossover at the front to the #3 without getting any in the #2 and #1?

Is there perhaps another path from the intake to fill the #3 plug well not from the crossover? I have never studied a coolant flow diagram on these engines.

If this is perhaps an intake crack/gasket leak is there a way to see the coolant path to the #3 cylinder?

Cheers,

John L.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:10 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
#3 would not be a common place to collect coolant. You might look at the rubber boot and see if it is damaged and allowing easier access to liquid than the others. You might also look at the heater hoses as they set directly above #3 - #4 plugs area. I would get everything dry, then idle in the driveway and look for problems. Do you see coolant drips on the ground ?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:16 AM
jlag
New User
Thanks for the tips.

I thought the same regarding the #3. The boot looks pretty good, I blew the hole out the best I could with air and peeked down there with an inspection camera and there didn't appear to be flood down there, but the image on the camera wasn't the best. After I blew it out and dried the boot, I put it all back together and went for a ride. Engine was still missing and coolant on the boot again when I returned. I don't see coolant anywhere else. The heater hose from the front of the intake is routed way to the passenger side of the engine compartment and doesn't seem to be a likely source.

The ground is dry, so I will do as you suggested, make sure it is all good and dry and either run and watch (I'll leave the #3 coil out and injector disconnected) or pressurize if I can find the adapter for this coolant cap.

Thanks again,

John L.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:18 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
How are you numbering the cylinders ? I start at the front passenger side and count toward the rear.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot

Quick Reply: Removal of intake manifold on 5.4L