Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Removal of intake manifold on 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:58 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
yea, i did both sides also..... i have made gaskets for LOTS of stuff, no problem.. ask at Auto Zone or NAPA and they can get you on the right track. Just a compressed fiber/ glue/ paper type material.. dont use cork.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:38 PM
jhammer30
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just doing some prep work cleaning up the crossover tube itself, and I noticed two points of corrosion about the size of a pencil eraser and fairly deep on the thermostat side. They are right on the seal line, but like I said earlier there was no leak on that side. Is this something that I should ensure a little more RTV gets to those spots or should I just break down and get new parts? I can take pictures but I'm not sure how to post them right now.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:04 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
or fill the "hole" with epoxy and file smooth. IF its only "skin" deep, file the flange flat to clean it up.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:18 PM
fastmax1
New User
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
im not sure you can get to all the bolts without taking the manifold off. seems like i looked with a mirror and couple were not accessable. look at the cross over in the photo above... 3 small bolts on that side.
Hi All. I just did one of these for the same problem. I thought for a while before I pulled the intake (because of that one bolt that you cant reach) and came up with a little shortcut. You can see the bolt from the top (bottom of the bolt, not the head of it) so I drilled a small hole in it and then tapped in a T10 torx. I got the bolt to back out and back in with the torx driver. The vehicle hasnt had any problems so far (10,000 kms or so). Worse case senario was that the intake would have to come off anyways so I thought I would try it and it did work. Just thought I'd share. Good luck to all with this repair.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:48 PM
marv02
Senior User
Question

My 5.4 is leaking at the long Hard line thats under the intake back side of the motor were it meets the rubber hose I think to replace the hard line with a rubber hose.

I have the intake off.

I have a 1986 vett and it still has most of the OEM rubber hose still so they last.

My 2001 Ex has 104000 on it I would think the rubber hose just mite last longer than the hard line.

All the rubber hoses still look new.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:03 PM
tejano40
New User
5.4 fi50 2001 coolant crossover

i took off 6 bolts 5 from the underside and one on top but it looks like theres another bolt or stud holding that crossover on. it is located on the left side of the crossover. please help only transportation i got. thanks

Old 11-25-2011, 10:07 PM
kbsupercrew
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Name:  IMG_20111125_215049.jpg
Views: 29321
Size:  35.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20111125_215143.jpg
Views: 30249
Size:  38.2 KB

2000 f150 5.4 hope these help

Old 11-26-2011, 03:21 PM
tejano40
New User
intake manifold removal

thanks for your help got the darn thing off not that hard just time consumming.. this is a great blog very knowledgable people here. thanks again...

Old 11-27-2011, 10:42 AM
magikal_dragons
New User
2001 5.4L Triton Coolant Leak @ Crossover

Thanks for the post! I have all but one bolt out and thought the crossover would detach without taking the intake off, but it seems impossible. A lot more work than I was anticipating, as well as more money. Any suggestions on what else to go ahead and replace while I have it off? Is it wise to attempt to clean any/all parts I can get to? Will cleaning anything cause more problems?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:03 AM
marv02
Senior User
Heads Up I changed the plugs out with the intake off it makes it very easy might as well do it now.

If you dont and have to change the plugs out latter you going to kick your self in the butt and wished you did when the intake was off.

I also found use a Green Scocth brit pad to clean the mating surfaces where the intake maniifold mate it give you a nice clean surface I also used Brake cleaner to wash things off and apaper towle to wipe things down before reinstalling the New manifold back on the motor.

I used some RTV where the water passages on the manifold to make sure it dont leak but up to you, Ialso would let the car sit overnight before adding Collent back in the motor to give the RTV time to set up and get a good seal.

It dont mather what the RTV package said you can add coolent Oil Ect after 2 hours Dont do it let sit over night.

Next tip use some dish soap on the Injectors O rings so they slide in the intake easy and so they wont tear as easy.

Double cheeck everything before firing up the motor and going for a drive.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:59 PM
isenegger
Senior User
i think my intake manifold just took a crap. i noticed over the weekend i smelt coolant. never got hot or anything. just a few min ago i went to drive the truck for the 1st time today and when i backed out of the drive i seen a puddle. i checked the puddle and it looked like water but was kinda oily/sticky like coolant. sure enough i popped the hood and there is coolant on the drivers side of the intake by the cops. it seemed to run down the front of the engine and dripped on the ground. so im guessing to just buy a new dorman intake manifold and take it to a shop and drop it off. i dont have time to change it myself right now.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:05 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
I'm also in need of a new intake. Are the Dormans acceptable or should I go with Motorcraft? Gaskets I know I am going to go OEM.

This is probably obvious but do I need the lower intake? Or only the upper intake?

Old 02-04-2012, 06:25 PM
DogBox
New User
Thanks All

My first post on this forum to say thanks, especially to Steve, but to all of you for posting on here on how to fix the intake manifold problem.

I had the P0301 and P0125 codes and didn't realise they were related. I changed the COP on cylinder 1 and at the same time thought I would do the thermostat. After filling up with coolant I saw steam coming from under the hood and along with the obvious misfire after a few miles - i pulled over and saw coolant leaking from the coolant cross-over next to cylinder 1. Limped home and found this posting.

I read and re-read and then began the tear down - fairly convinced that I had the exact same problem. I pulled the trigger on a new manifold (Dorman) so that it would be here by the time I dis-mantled everything. I was a little scared at first but part by part the whole thing came apart fairly easily - even the COPs weren't too bad. I will replace all COPs as well as injectors. Plugs were done by dealer when I bought it 18 months ago. I cleaned the throttle body and now I need to wait for injectors to arrive and I will clean the gasket surfaces in the meantime.

In a way I'm pleased to have this happen and be able to fix it and replace injectors and COPs, and clean the throttle body while I'm in there. I'll have a new manifold too that hopefully will last another 100K. I'll check the IAC and EGR stuff and that coolant pipe from the back of the water pump too when I put it back together.

Maybe the $400 I saved on the Motorcraft Intake Manifold and the $650 I was quoted in labor will go towards a TrueTrac and gears now.

Photos:-

Ford Expedition Intake Manifold Replacement - a set on Flickr

Old 02-04-2012, 08:22 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
those are some nice photos--- good job!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:31 AM
DogBox
New User
Holy Cow! She works! It's back together and purring nicely. I just need to top off the coolant and I'm good to go.

Quick Reply: Removal of intake manifold on 5.4L