Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Senior User

Thunderduckie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rear window hinge broken

My parents have a 2006 Explorer. Two days ago it appeared to me that the rear window (on the gate) was crooked. Apon closer inspection we noticed that the hinge pin has worked its way almost completely through the plastic hinge cover. Ford wants $27 for the part and $75 for the install. I looked and it appears that the window is held on by a flat headed torx bolt. What I cant figure out is how to remove the hinge from the car to replace it. Anyone ever run accross this issue? How did you repair it?

Thanks gang

Wade
Old 09-13-2009, 05:45 AM
Postmaster

ncranchero has a good reputation on FTE.ncranchero has a good reputation on FTE.ncranchero has a good reputation on FTE.
steve.mckellop
Click the image to open in full size.

1 Heated rear window grid electrical connector (2 required)
2 Rear window glass electrical connector
3 Liftgate window glass strut (2 required)
4 Liftgate window glass hinge-to-body retaining nut (2 required)
5 Liftgate window glass
6 Liftgate hinge-to-glass nut (2 required)
7 Liftgate hinge

Removal and Installation

Remove the rear window wiper motor.
Position the liftgate trim panel aside to access the liftgate window glass electrical connectors and the 2 liftgate window glass hinge-to-glass nuts.
Disconnect the liftgate window glass electrical connectors.

CAUTION: Open and support the liftgate window glass before removing the liftgate window glass struts.

Remove the liftgate window glass struts.
To avoid breaking the liftgate window glass, disconnect the liftgate window glass struts from the liftgate window glass before disconnecting the liftgate window glass struts from the rear liftgate.
Remove the 2 liftgate hinge-to-glass nuts.
Apply threadlock into the liftgate window glass hinge-to-glass bolt hole, making sure that the threadlock is on the threads.
To install, tighten to 62 lb-in.
CAUTION: Be sure not to scratch the applique located at the bottom of the glass.

With the help of an assistant, remove the liftgate window glass.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.
'14 TRANSIT Connect
Old 09-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Senior User

borland is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2002 XLT was hit from the rear at a stop light. That put a slight dent in the liftgate, but the window glass would open but not close.

I pounded out the dent and was able to make a temporary adjustment to the hinges but the glass seemed to move after several open/closes. I was afraid to overtighten the torx screws for fear of breaking the glass, so I paid the Ford dealer to adjust and tighten the glass hinges.

That was a couple years ago. Has been good since.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:43 PM
New User

steve5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2003 and it was recalled for the rear glass hinges. Apparently it was a poor design. It is now 5 years since the replacement and the latch is not lining up again.

The hinges also are glued at the window because they told me to use the main door for 24 hrs to let the glue dry.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:52 AM
New User

ema is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello there. I'm new to this forum. Very intelligent post there Ncranchero. Anyway, Thunderduckie, I found this Metro Molded Window Hinge Pad which can be of help to you. I am not sure if they have the hinge alone.There, hope its helps somehow.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:52 AM