Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Registering a Big One

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 09:19 AM
LBF
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fire Engines

I have two Fire Engines, both over 26k GVWR and both insured on Historic plates with State Farm Commercial insurance. AAA would not insure them, which is why I am not a big AAA insurance customer any longer. I have gone back and forth with various DMV employees on whether or not I need a CDL - so far I have not been stopped driving them, and I drove both of them home to Mid-Missouri after buying them in northern Illinois. I guess I'm just lucky... These are by far the most expensive vehicles I have to pay insurance on, at over $100 per month for the pair.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:13 PM
bigfordmatt
Freshman User
well i guess i sould complain about my states laws either. when registering my 550 i got around the weighted tag by taging in personal with one of the personal tag optoins we have. all i did was pay the 36 extra dollars for the coal minners tag and 5 dollars for them to inspect the milleage and vin and i was on my way i insured it as a personal vechile in the leasure option and that was it pay about 400 ever 6 months on it for 50 100000 coverage on it

Old 10-18-2011, 12:54 AM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rustyrelic
In california I use the historic plates $75 per year. Can not haul anything in it but you can tow a trailer
I run "Former Military Vehicle" plates on my M35A2 6x6 and ran historic plates on my 75 bronco...best thing I ever did.

I save so much money...i vote do it! (it just cannot be your primary source of xportation)

Old 10-20-2011, 11:16 AM
ms_michelle
Elder User
What state do you live in? I have two big trucks, a 67 NT950D highway tractor and a 86 LTL 9000 highway tractor. They are both 25 years old or older which makes them eligible for antique plates, or YOM plates (year of Manufacture) witch is same as antique. They cost me 50 dollars for five years and no inspection is required. The requirements for Texas is 25 years or older, can be driven to and from parades, car shows and other special events and to and from repair facilities for repair work. You also can't haul anything for hire, anything you haul has to belong to you and not be for resale. I have two semi trailers and use them to haul my collector cars and trucks to shows. Sometimes I will haul junk yard parts that I buy for my own use that are to big to get on a pick up. Sometimes I just want to drive my truck around when there is no special event, I have done that numerous times and have never had a problem. As for the CDL, that too is a gray area. I have had a CDL since 1964 and was grandfathered in when the feds took it over in 91. I keep it because it eliminates any problems that may arise. There will always be some under paid scale cop that will want to give you a hard time for not having one. Insurance is not a problem either, I use Gulf Way, they specialize in antique trucks and will allow you to pull a trailer.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:05 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by LBF
I have two Fire Engines, both over 26k GVWR and both insured on Historic plates with State Farm Commercial insurance. AAA would not insure them, which is why I am not a big AAA insurance customer any longer. I have gone back and forth with various DMV employees on whether or not I need a CDL - so far I have not been stopped driving them, and I drove both of them home to Mid-Missouri after buying them in northern Illinois. I guess I'm just lucky... These are by far the most expensive vehicles I have to pay insurance on, at over $100 per month for the pair.
Looks pretty clear here that you need a CDL:

http://dor.mo.gov/forms/Commerical_Driver_License.pdf

Old 10-22-2011, 01:26 AM
rummur s.c.
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If its a personal truck you can use a broad form type insurance. But if youre using it to haul scrap metal and you hit someone you'll be paying for sure..

Insurance companies are always looking for their way out. You know how it goes..

Again if its a personal vehicle, you dont need to worry about putting tonage on it. But if you get pulled over with a load of scrap metal by the wrong cop youll be paying. I think the penalty here in washington is 1000 bucks per ton over your registered weight. That can add up fast when your trucks tare weight is over your registered weight, then add on your payload.. ouch.

My s1900 truck weighed in a 13000lbs. Its a 24' flatbed. So maybe a bit heavier than your f600. Your truck probably weighs around 10 or 11 K. Once you put a pickup bed on it could be down near 8?? hard to say..

If your gonna put a pickup bed on the truck you might as well use that title.

Just say you put the front clip off a 600 on the 350.. Youll save money and wont have to hassle with the legalities..

Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Handegard
Elder User
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Looks pretty clear here that you need a CDL:

http://dor.mo.gov/forms/Commerical_Driver_License.pdf
A pamphlet is not the law...

Here in WA the study guides for CDL clearly state you need a CDL to be over 26,000 pounds.

But the actual law states you must meet criteria A, B, C, or D, and be using for commercial purposes.

It's important to read the actual law for which ever state you are in, and if you plan to drive a larger vehicle, keep a printed copy in the truck, in case a State Trooper is as misinformed as your average DOL worker...