Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

waste oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:50 AM
subliminaltrips
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
living in florida it stays pretty warm, i wonder if it would get the oil too hot in the summer. what i may do is figure out a way to monitor the temp at the filter. what would you reccomend as a temp gauge? i have seen kits and from what ive seen i think i could build my own pretty easily. the only concern i have is the cold oil before the lift pump might cause a problem. i would think you would want to get the oil thinned down a bit before you hit the pump? what pump would you reccomend? i would think that an inline pump after the tranny cooler would be a bit much because most dont suck as wellas they push...

Old 09-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Unless I have really been working the engine on a hot day, the bottom of my radiator never gets hot enough that I can't lay my hand on the bottom tank.

Since that is where the tranny cooler is, you may be warming the oil up to 70 or 80 degrees.

WVO should be around 170 or a little more before you run it through the injection system.
If not the glycerin is going to cause problems down the road.

The best systems I have seen have coils in the tank with the heater hose going to the tank, then back to the water pump.
That way the tank is getting hot coolant at 195 degrees as soon as the engine reaches operating temp.
They also had a small heater using coolant to heat the WVO right before it entered the IP.
You also need to be able to select the supply line and return line separately so you can leave the return going to the WVO tank when you switch to diesel for shut down.
Much better to contaminate the WVO with diesel that it is to contaminate the diesel with WVO.

WVO can turn to paste at low temps, and a quart would be more than enough to block a line or clog a filter.

Like I said, if I was driving a long distance every day, I might consider it.
To do the conversion right, you are going to have to lay out some cash and a fair amount of work.

Just not enough return on the investment with the amount of short trips I usually make.
Most times I would be shutting down before the tank was hot enough to run on.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:06 PM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
I've heard of different ways of warming the WVO but never thru the Tranny cooler. I don't have any idea the temp of the tranny cooler but what Dave says sounds good. I have a hotfox in my tank and an inline electric heater just before the WVO filter. If your looking for a type of thermometer to use to check your temp, I've used the thermometer from Lowes that you would use for outdoor grilling that has a line from the probe to the gage. I"ve also seen one that was wireless but it was pricey.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:19 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
I've been running all of my UMO/WMO and used ATF right into the tank for a year or so.

BUT...........
My motor has 374,000 miles on it so I'm not too worried about the possibility of damage.
I only run about 3 gallons, at the most, per tank.
I have a NAPA water seperator/filter after the selector.

There is another possible problem with WMO; the oil has more BTUs than diesel and it CAN have a tendency to lift the head/gasket off of the rear two cylinders on an IDI. Especially a stock 6.9L if the ratio of motor oil to diesel is too high.

One of these days I'm going to build a killer 6.9L turbo for my '94 and THAT motor will see no WASTE ANYTHING run through it.

Also, all of the experts seem to agree that there are enough addatives in the ULSD that it is actually BETTER for your IP etc. than the old stuff. Of course it is worse in every other way.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:28 PM
1bigjoe
Senior User
great debate; here's my two cents, been running wvo for 3 yrs two idi's one mer benz
all my problems,or learning curve after about one year where consintrated aroung introducing the wvo-before the engine was hot enough& thermal shock when reintroducing #2 that is at ambiant temp in NJ.(and baby it's cold outside) so here is my rule of thumb if it's 40 or below- no wvo-wmo unless i'm driving on the high way- or untill the truck will be used most of the day
but over 40 ford idi's love the stuff over the last three yr. burned 2500 gal7 last summer #2 was $4.50 in nj and it will be up there again today it is $2.79
the problem i think in the ip is the heat
but i'll give you an example of what we all could do. i filled my truck in june with #2 - i have a 100 gal wvo-tank drove to ft lauterdale 1400mi then back to nj
refilled the wvo with oil out of three 65 gal plastic barrels i put in the bed then drove home still had 3/4 tank of #2 altogether about 3300 miles on that trip on about 6 gallon at the pump thats 550miles per at the pump gallon