1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

51-52 Heater Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 01:20 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I spent some time over where my trucks are stored today looking things over. The boot on the Magic Aire that's in the truck looks like it's still in good shape and I jumpered some juice to the motor and it runs like it ought to. The unit in the cab actually looks like it's in really good shape. Everything is there and the worst part of the fresh air duct under the fender is the elbow at the cab. It looks like swiss cheese and is way beyond any hope of repair. Fortunately, I noticed this some years back and did some horse trading for a really nice solid elbow out of a Texas truck. The rest of the duct is covered in surface rust, but I think it's solid enough that it can be salvaged. I'm not sure what shape the core is in as it was disconnected and bypassed when I got the truck, but I'm going to guess that it's probably not any good. I have seen where Julie and others have posted that the core for the Magic Aire is still available, though. If someone can repost that info, it would be appreciated.

After evaluating what I've got and the feedback in this post, I think I'm going to go ahead and keep the Magic Aire. It will take a little effort and probably a new core to get it restored and fully functional, but it sounds like it will be worth it given that I actually intend to use and drive the truck in cold weather. Thanks again for all the responses!

Old 09-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
HI BOR!

Sure I have the core numbers and site link.

Don't be so quick to toss that duct or elbow you think is not repairable. Let me throw a suggestion at you. Take the duct out and grind off the seam that protrudes up. Then go to Home Depot to the Drywall department and buy a roll of fiberglass seam tape. Wire brush the loose rust off the duct then wrap it with the fiberglass tape - about five layers thick. Then epoxy or polyester resin over the tape. It won't be pretty, but it will form a new duct and if the old one rusts out, it will still be enclosed. It's like you have used the old one as a casting pattern for making a new duct. It will be water proof too!

If you tear your rubber boot Denny (FTE "firstrider") makes them and they are outstanding!

The heater core is made by Proliance, here is there site:

http://www.pliii.com/28-radiator-replacement-cores

And the core number you need is:

399406/PWD 1796178/Ref H50B

Lastly, if you don't have the cap that covers the motor tabs on the front, I used a chrome horn button off a 1947 Ford - it even has "Five Stars" (like for "Five Star Extra Cab") on it.

Here's two pics of mine before and after:

Name:  7. Heater.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  23.5 KB

Name:  7b. Heater.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  56.4 KB

I did re straighten the emblem by the way.

Just as a side note, I have a full front tilt so I couldn't install the duct. I grafted the side fender vent (after cutting it down) from a 49 Studebaker into my side cowl and made a small duct - works perfect. I think I'm the only person in the world who had a Bonus Built with a side vent door!

Name:  J Outside Complete - Hood Down 4.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  51.8 KB

Old 09-13-2009, 06:48 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for the info on the core, Julie, but unfortunately, it won't do me any good. I looked that core part number up and it seemed to me that the hose connections were farther apart than they are on mine. I went over and looked at my truck and sure enough, they are closer together. If you look at the exploded diagrams of the Magic Aire heaters that Bob posted, you can actually see the difference in the tubes between the '51 unit and the '52 unit. I guess that's one more difference between them besides the fresh air inlet shape. I'm betting that the core dimensions are the same. Once I've got the thing out, I'm sure I can find something that will fit.

While I've been doing all this research, I've also noticed that the various knockouts in the firewall for the core tubes and mounting bolts are different between the '51 and '52 firewalls. I've never seen that difference in the cabs mentioned before.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Very interesting! Let us know how it works out. Just one more point for you.

Once you get the old core out, you should be able to take it to a radiator shop and if they can't clean it out and make it workable, they will know where to get another one - maybe proliance makes one for your different set-up as well. It owuld be nice to have that part number to give to folks as well.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:08 PM
HD74
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
The top heater I think is a Firestone heater, an aftermarket heater. I can see the "F" badge in the lower corner. The second heater isn't a stock '51 or '52 heater, it's looks like it's from a newer truck. Many times the trucks weren't ordered with heaters and were later fitted with a heater, either by a Ford dealer or a private garage or the owner. The Ford dealer would have grabbed whatever he had in stock or could easily order and this was a few year after the truck was sold it would be a newer unit. Back then they didn't car about originality.

These are diagrams from the Ford parts catalog. They both are the Magic Air units. I have a couple of these I'm using for my '48-50 trucks. They are a lot better, IMO, than the standard units that came in the earlier trucks. The earlier units had the fan under the front fend, a very stupid design because they caught all of the road gunk and failed. The Magic Air units had the fan behind the unit. The Magic Air unit I have in my F-2 doesn't have the flex tube that connects it to the fresh air duct under the fender. I don't usually drive my truck in the winter but occasionally I take it out during the cold months and the heater keeps us very comfortable.

This is just for historic informational purpose, the heater in the first picture is not from Firestone. The "F" is from 49-50 ford cars and trucks sometimes refered to as the flying "F". The heater itself is a optional Magic Air heater from 1949.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:35 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
since we're talking heater. I hope the OP doesn;t mind any idea on this heater I have in my 52?

bob
bob

Old 10-25-2009, 06:40 PM
HD74
Elder User
I'd put money on it's from an Internationl.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:33 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
What is the vintage of the heater like the bottom picture rage posted? (raised Ford letters)Curious, because that is what I have in my 53.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:35 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Fresh Air Tube

With the generosity of another FTE member I will have the 3 pc. fresh air tube assembly in my hands real soon . The goal is to reproduce the set in fiber glass or carbon fiber this coming year . Also am close to finalizing the reproduction of the e-brake cable boots . Will keep you posted .Denny

Old 10-25-2009, 09:13 PM
HD74
Elder User
Originally Posted by fatfenders
What is the vintage of the heater like the bottom picture rage posted? (raised Ford letters)Curious, because that is what I have in my 53.
I'm in the process of restoring one just like it. When I was breaking it down not one tag or mark indicating vintage. What I know for sure is that it's going to be a lot nicer then that's in there now. Brand unknown.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:33 PM
51MHF5
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And lets appreciate that "melt your shoes" in Albuquerque aint the same as it is in the great white north!

Old 10-25-2009, 09:51 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by HD74
I'm in the process of restoring one just like it. When I was breaking it down not one tag or mark indicating vintage. What I know for sure is that it's going to be a lot nicer then that's in there now. Brand unknown.
I think they are very neat looking. Looks appropriate. Mine has a core and updated blower motor from who knows what, but it works good (for what it is) and has two speeds.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:01 PM
jpb222
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a standard heater in my 4x4 conversion f-1 that I drive year round everyday. IT keeps the cab nice and warm on all but the absolutely coldest days.... when it gets around zero the metal on the doors stays cold and cools of the cab interion more than I would like.

It also defrosts the windows nicely.... but not the side windows... they usually stay pretty fogged up on cold wet days.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Speaking of heaters I just scored this magic air on Halloween for $30 not even one single bid on it. score!

already have the tube for fresh air just need to order a rubber boot and find a nice decorative cover for the front.

1930'S HEATER/DEFROSTER-STUDEBAKER, FORD, CHEVY, RATROD:eBay Motors (item 370279909376 end time Oct-31-09 21:15:58 PDT)

Old 11-03-2009, 09:53 AM
HD74
Elder User
Originally Posted by jmadsen
Speaking of heaters I just scored this magic air on Halloween for $30 not even one single bid on it. score!

already have the tube for fresh air just need to order a rubber boot and find a nice decorative cover for the front.

1930'S HEATER/DEFROSTER-STUDEBAKER, FORD, CHEVY, RATROD:eBay Motors (item 370279909376 end time Oct-31-09 21:15:58 PDT)
I've been looking but not in the 1930's stuff. Nice score.

Quick Reply: 51-52 Heater Comparison