1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Anyone happen to have an orig. '56 Big Window Custom Cab...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 03:06 PM
eberhama
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone happen to have an orig. '56 Big Window Custom Cab...

..and also happen to currently have the side window trim off? My big window is not a custom cab, but I managed to get deals on all the window trim, so I will be adding it. I'm getting close to final bodywork/paint, so I'd like to drill the holes for the side trim. A piece of paper taped over the door and rubbed with pencil/charcoal, would be best, but I'd settle for some measurements/pics. Would be happy to throw in a little $$ for your time. TIA, Matt

Old 09-10-2009, 03:48 PM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an original Big Window and was under the impression that all Big Windows were Custom Cabs. However, my doors do not have the holes for the window trim so I am confused on what constitutes a Big Window vs a Custom Cab.

I did consider buying/installing the trim. Mid Fifty has the trim and both the reproduction and the original clips; the original clips are pricey but do not require enlarging the holes & grinding. It appears that 10 clips are required per door trim. I decided against using the trim.

If no one is able to help on FTE, you may want to call Mid Fifty. They are pretty helpful and may be able to answer your question.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:01 PM
eberhama
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot of people assume Big Window=Custom Cab, but that is not the case, they were seperate options. I have the orig. side trim and clips for a CC big window, so I was hoping to find an original to copy a pattern from, but if it comes to that, I'll give mid-fifty a shout.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:38 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Ok, Here is what I've seen. Not all big window 56s were custom cabs.

Not all custom cabs, big or small back window had door trim.

Every 56 (that I've seen) that has a 53-55 interrior rear view mirror that is a big window or a custom cab did NOT have door trim.

Only the later production 56's that have the triangle mount saftey pivot either small or big window custom cabs have had the door trim. Remember 56 was all about saftey and the change from the 53-55 style rear view mirror shows me later production vehicles.

Sorry I cant be of help on the pattern.