1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Clarification is necessary!! Please read this.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:33 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Arrow Clarification is necessary!! Please read this.

There are apparently some concerns over me and my filter covers here in the forum very recently, and I need to clarify a few things for the record.

First and foremost, I do NOT mean for this to be an advertisement for me in any manner, though there are probably some who might want to think otherwise. I am only responding to voiced concerns about me violating FTE policies in conjunction with my cover sales.

Timeline...

1) I have been active in FTE since late 2006, which was only a couple months after purchasing my F250 PSD.

2) As part of the mod discovery process, I discovered Springer Pop's homemade filter cover and was inspired to make my own (spring of 2007), and solicited some folks ideads for a cool graphic... NO intention of making the covers for sale, just wanting legitimate opinions on cool graphics ideas.

3) I made my cover, posted pics, and was asked by a number of folks to make them for sale, to which I was flattered, but declined. After about 6 months of receiving requests, I decided to try it out to see if it could fund my "mod budget". Late in 2007, through personal email alone, I contacted several people who had specifically asked me to make covers for them. The rest is nothing more than growth as a result of nothing more than word-of-mouth from people who have been satisfied with my covers. I got my web site published this year and let some folks know about it, and this was simply a means of making my time more efficient, and was not intended to grow my cover sales.

4) I lost my job at the end of August, and just this week decided to take a full-time position as an independent contractor with an oil & lubricant company as a career change. Therefore, my attempts at making a business out of cover sales pre-dated this recent event in my life by nearly two years and has had nothing to do with my recent career change.

My principles.

A) I do not, have not, and will not solicit for cover sales through any FTE resources (forum threads, polls, PM's, etc.). I have on one or two rare occasions asked people about the suitability of materials for ideas I was thinking about, but never asked for a sale... and I WILL not. I have mentioned being "busy with covers" from time-to-time, but that is simply a conversational mention and has never been meant to be solicitous in any manner (though I can see how someone might think that it is).

B) I have never asked any customer to ever promote, advertise, post pictures, start threads, or in any other way try to help me bring in more sales. I have always thanked my customers for their support and self-inspired promotion of my work, and I am honestly humbled by everyone's response to what I do. To do otherwise would be contrary to FTE policies, and I have stated in several threads over and over that I will not violate these guidelines. I value my mebership and the family trust which I have been fortunate to participate in within our FTE family.

C) When I have been asked about selling a cover through a PM, I have almost ALWAYS (no, I'm not perfect) asked the individual to send me a private email so we can discuss "business details and pricing" completely outside of FTE resources. The few times I have not done this was when the issue of a cover was between me and a member I know very well or have already been corresponding with through PM on a different topic.

D) BOTTOM LINE... I know the "letter" of FTE policies and guidlines, and I know the "spirit" of the letter. I make every attempt to comply with the "letter" 100%, and the few times I have not heeded the "letter", I have complied with the "spirit". I have even gone as far as to periodically consult with moderators regarding my posts, comments, replies, PM's, etc. to ensure that I am not crossing a line anywhere. I have been assured at each of these consultations that I am "doing fine" and that my activities are "not in question". I have always tried to err on the side of caution and compliance, and I will continue to do so. If I could afford to be a sit esponsor, I woudl do so, but especially now that I am at such a low financial income level, it is not even a consideration... perhaps that might change, and when it does, I'll take that step when it becomes clearly beneficial to do so. Until then, I will continue with the same approach I've already been taking.

Finally, I value FTE, especially our forum, in exceptionally high regards. I have posted many times where I clearly stated my regards as such. However, it is the people in here that I value the most. To violate FTE policies is to undermine the very foundation of how we have gotten to know and appreciate one another. I will not violate the trust which has developed between myself and so many of you in here.

I will ask for this one favor, and I ask this from every one of you (friend, acquaintance, and even foe)....

... If you ever feel that I have crossed the line and been irresponsible or in violation of FTE policy, please have the courage, decency, and fairness to confront me directly, preferrably through PM which is where I believe that kind of confrontation has the highest chance of being done successfully with the best results - no one responds well when pushed into a corner publicly. I will always welcome your critique and take your input to heart.

Thanks.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:38 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn Pete, I am sorry that some how, some one made you feel you had to do that..I have never had any doubts about your integrity if that means anything..

And if somebody else did, Bring it on

Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Pete. I don't know who you are talking to with this, but I know darn good and well, I have never thought you were breaking any rules. Keep up the good work. Pete.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:54 AM
F250_
Hotshot
You know, Pat and Rick, I'm not sure who it was or why, and I don't even need to know. It's really ok with me, and I bear no ill will or hard feelings towards whoever it is that has felt uncomfortable with something I've said or done. I am also not really surprised because I know how human nature is and how misunderstandings and misinterpretations take place. Shoot... I even misunderstand and misinterpret things every once in a while myself.

The only thing I hate about it is that just the very act of offering this clarification will more than likely make whoever it was (and maybe even some others) take a dimmer view of things because it's given me "a chance to advertise" myself and what I do, which is the exact opposite of my intention. It's almost like a no-win scenario, and I hate those kinds of things.

EDIT: You know, there is really no reason for you folks who know me to feel bad about this at all. Like I mentioned, someone obviously thought I was out of line somewhere, or at least borderline, and they have both the right and responsibility to bring that to the Admins' attention. I DO wish they had said something to me first, but who knows, it may have been someone I've known for a while and they just felt I was going overboard somewhere and didn't want to risk damaging our relationship. That's fine, too, but for the record, just in case the indivdual(s) read this... I am a very forgiving person, value striaghtforward talk, am eager to learn how to do things better, and I have a really hard time holding grudges. Like I said, I have nothing to hide and welcome the critique.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:01 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pete, people knowing the covers are available is one thing. Soliciting for sales is another and all the posts that I have read that you have written about your covers, you NEVER solicited anyone's business. There have been references to them by many happy customers but that happens continuously for many products the brothers and sisters here at FTE use on their trucks. Sorry to hear that this happened.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:04 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Put me in with Pat and Rick,I appreciate what you do and have done for this forum.I see the cover thing as a in-expensive mod that alot of folks can afford and in no way have I ever seen it as a sales pitch on here.There are many folks that recommend Pete's Covers and that is what it is....a recommendation.
It is sickening that there are a few on this forum that have to stir up s**t over something that has not even happened or as piddly as this subject.
Pete...You keep moving forward and do not let this stand in your way....Very respected fella in my book

Old 09-10-2009, 12:10 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I feel you crossed the line, now the only way to make it up... free filter cover!!!

I havent had to get one from you, but if I ever do that mod, i definately would. To me its not just buying a neat idea, its more of the idea of buying it off of someone that is into these trucks as much as I am.

I have never seen you cross any line either fwiw.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:22 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
I have never seen you ever push products on anyone.. I know that word of mouth is what makes your product popular and well known, not your personally selling.

I personally am offended that someone would complain about you to the MODS.. I would hope that in the "Community" that is FTE that someone would be man enough to come to you and express there concerns like an adult and fix these problems man to man instead of having you blind-sided out of no where.

I love your product and I hope to buy 2 more off you and even without your product I appreciate the info and knowledge you have passed onto me which has saved me thousands of dollars on inferior products. so in all reality a ton of people including me on here owe you that much.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

I remember when you made your first cover and how everyone loved it and basically strong-armed you (for lack of better words) into beginning to produce them to sell to FTE members. I think what you have done is what the American spirit is all about and I truly applaud your efforts. Keep up the good work and good luck with you career change.

--This coming from someone who doesn't own a "Pete's Filter Cover"

Old 09-10-2009, 12:38 PM
HH60FE
Posting Guru
Pete, we've never met and I dont I don't have a cover (yet), but it sure looks to me like you've got "integrity" covered!!! Your inputs here on FTE are valued by many.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:41 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Pete, guys like you are what makes this forum what it is. I have never saw anything that could even be misunderstood as an advertisement from you. Heck, I had to contact 3 or 4 members to get your email address, back when I ordered my first cover. You don't have to explain yourself, those of us that have been here awhile know what a great person you are.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:42 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pete, I am with Sheldon on this. I am completely offended by you.

J/K brother. Keep on keeping on.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. Pete you are a stand up guy. Too bad this had to happen just to clear it up. Most all of us know you well enough to not require this explanation.
The level of your integrity level goes without saying.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:06 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Thanks guys. I should have relied on my gut feelings about this and just not even started the thread. Even though the moderator I talked to about this agreed that it would be a good idea, I think hind sight is telling me that it actually has brought more attention to the issue than it deserves. In fact, I'm really sorry for even giving the issue enough credence to make a thread out of it and keep the pot stirring, so to speak.

Any moderator who comes by and reads this... please feel free to lock it down and let it go away.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:13 PM
jcrammell
Senior User

Pete I am a newbie to this site. I have only been on here for a little over three weeks. I have done a lot of searching on this forum and have read a heck of a lot of threads. NOT ONE time have I ever came across a thread that made me think that you were trying to solicit to FTE members. Infact the most I have heard were from members telling me or others to check your product out, due to the fact that they really like the product. That is not solicitation and is strictly a recommendation. It is sad that in todays world people don't speak up and confront the situation up front. Instead they go behind everyone's back and try to get them in trouble. Keep on doing what you are doing Pete. I will be buying something from you in the very near future. Keep up the good work.