Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

73-77 F250 4x4 Winter Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
them mirrors sure are somthing. looks like them brackets on bottom are upside down, and the ones on the slant are misaligned.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:28 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
you should have said something, i got a set of trucker mirrors that fit this body style much better. these ones you got look so wonky and out of place, it ruins the look of the whole truck.

the only way i can see suffering with these is if you were hauling a extreemly oversized pickup in bed camper.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:43 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Gotcha. No worries on this end, I like them. It might be the angle of the picture, because they don't look that out of place in person.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:48 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Those mirrors are prefect!! Not so great with the blind spots but you'll figure out the lean for and aft before you give her the gas pretty quick.

Lookin good!!!!

Mine are mounted the same way...maybe mine are wrong too....Idunno.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:48 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Those mirrors are prefect!! Not so great with the blind spots but you'll figure out the lean for and aft before you give her the gas pretty quick.

Lookin good!!!!

Mine are mounted the same way...maybe mine are wrong too....Idunno.

Thanks Grinner, that is correct... back-up till you smell ***** and hear glass... That's what my old boss use to tell me.

I was stoked when I found them. They are refurbished brackets, new hardware and NOS mirror heads (still in the box).

Old 04-19-2015, 03:18 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
back-up till you smell ***** and hear glass... That's what my old boss use to tell me.

haha! ill have to remember that one.

reminds me of the old shop tech saying, "tighten it up tell it loosens then stop"

Old 06-14-2015, 02:09 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by akguy09
I Use PTFE Paste, used for multiple applications in plumbing, its oil,gas,and diesel fuel safe along with a bunch of othe chemicals. I used it on my transfer case fill/drain and my axle fills, plus I put it on my oil pressure sending unit because I was getting leaks like your's. Hope this helps

Marc
Thanks Marc. I ended up buying some hose and fittings from The Parker Store in Anchorage. I used your idea of tape + dope and all is well so far. I added the hose to raise the assembly a bit, much easier to work on now. Just got to build a bracket.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:11 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Been a while... But finally built a bracket to hold the Oil Pressure Sending Unit and the Hobbs Switch. I'll change it up later, but it'll hold it steady for now.

I would really like to hook up a primer switch for the fuel pump because it still took a while to get it started after sitting for a little over a month.

More to come.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:07 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
you ever take your kids fishing?

Old 07-22-2015, 02:26 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
I would really like to hook up a primer switch for the fuel pump because it still took a while to get it started after sitting for a little over a month.
You could always stick a time-delay relay in parallel with the oil P switch, so you get a second or two of fuel pump operation at key-on, regardless of oil pressure. Duplicate the factory behavior of EFI pumps...

Old 07-23-2015, 01:15 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Skip1970
you ever take your kids fishing?
Yes sir. We hit Eklutna Lake, Mirror Lake, Beach Lake and Fire Lake. Not much luck though. I am looking for a small raft to get them off the shoreline and into the fish...

Old 07-23-2015, 01:32 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bkaul
You could always stick a time-delay relay in parallel with the oil P switch, so you get a second or two of fuel pump operation at key-on, regardless of oil pressure. Duplicate the factory behavior of EFI pumps...
I like that idea.

Would I need to add another relay to the system, or is there a relay that will control both the timed power and the oil pressure dependent power?

Old 07-23-2015, 09:26 AM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't done research into what OEM fuel pump control modules/relays might have the functionality built-in; there could be an easy swap option out there.

I was thinking of adding an additional timer+relay in parallel to the oil pressure switch. It would have to be a one-shot, normally open timer & relay. Desired behavior would be: when ignition switch hits the run position, close the relay only for a second or two, then open it again and wait until the next time the switched power from the ignition goes from off to on. This new relay would bypass across the oil pressure switch to energize the existing fuel pump relay briefly even though there's no oil pressure.

Something like this could work:
TGPB | Single Shot Relay Timer
but since it's triggered by external dry contacts, you'd have to have a NO relay switched by the ignition that would close those contacts to control it. (i.e., it'd be a standard relay plus this)

Or something like what this guy did would work for the timer circuit, but again it requires an external relay switched by the ignition (in his case the ECM, but you could use a standard relay to switch a ground at ignition on) to control it too:
How to build a Primer Timer and cure your Viper Fuel Pump Starting Problem

So you'd end up with a fuel pump control module somewhere that would have a relay switched by ignition power that initiated a timer circuit, and the timer circuit would control a bypass around the oil pressure switch to energize the fuel pump relay. Sounds complicated, but it's essentially two extra devices: a standard relay and a timer. Or again, it's possible that some OEM junkyard part from an EFI car would be appropriate, but I don't know specifically what.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:15 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Thanks for explaining it.
I'll look into it a it deeper.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:42 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Think this one would work?

TDR-M: Momentary Variant of Time-Delay Relay

If I do something like this, do I need to put something in the lines to stop from feeding power through the opposite circuit?

Quick Reply: 73-77 F250 4x4 Winter Project