Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

73-77 F250 4x4 Winter Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:18 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I think I have read somewhere, but I can not remember where.

Is there a special place the timing should be set to to take the valve spring pressure off of the rocker arm shaft before loosening it?

Old 10-15-2011, 01:04 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Well, I was able to spend a few hours at the shop working on the truck. I have the intake, water pump and fuel pump off. Cleaned the gasket sealing areas off real good.

I have to say, I was pleasently supprised when I took the valve covers, and intake off. There was no real bad build-up anywhere. There was a little bit of moisture that had gotten in there and caused a tiny bit of rust scale in the lifter valley and some on the very top of the rocker arms (only a few).

I forgot the camera yesterday, but I'll get some pics today and post them later tonight.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:03 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
any progress is good progress! let me know if you ever need a hand during the week at night im free usually.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:22 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
A little progress over the past couple weeks.

While replacing the intake, carb, water pump and fuel pump, I came across a couple deals that were too good to pass up. I picked up a used D.U.I. Distributor and a set of headers. While doing the intake work, I noticed I had a leak at the exhaust manifold, so I pulled it apart and while it was apart, I found a great deal on some headers locally. They are an older set and I have no idea as to the brand, but they have never been run. They may not be perfect, but they'll do for my intended purpose and should be a step up from the factory manifolds.

Next time I get home from work, I should be able to get it running again. I hope to be home by Nov 12th.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 11-01-2011, 10:06 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
I located a 78 Sport Steering Wheel with the horn button (just missing the center emblem), it should be at the house about the same time I get home from work later next week.

I'm trying to work a deal on a pair of the M/T Aluminum Valve Covers. I should know in a couple days on how that'll shake out.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:18 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Over the last two weeks I was able to do a little work on the truck. I got the oil restrictors installed in the heads, new (to me) M/T Valve Covers installed, oil pan gasket replaced, new radiator and heater hoses installed, power wire for the D.U.I. Distributor made up, new spark plugs installed, filled the oil and coolant up. Poured a little fuel in the carb, cranked the ignition and she sprang to life.

I still have a lot of bugs to work out, but she's starting to take shape.

I just installed a used D.U.I Distributor I picked up off of craigslist. I tried to use the "I" terminal on the solenoid, but it only gave power while cranking the starter. Would the Battery side of the solenoid be a better power source, or should I find a "Key-on" power source?

I have to head to work today and will not have much time to mess with the truck until after the New Year. I did get it to fire, but hot really run. Boy, she sure is loud with open headers in an enclosed shop......

Happy Thanksgiving all

Old 11-24-2011, 12:53 PM
73f250highboy
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome build and great work

Old 11-24-2011, 10:19 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 73f250highboy
Awesome build and great work
Thanks Alex.

Good to see your truck coming along too.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:21 PM
73f250highboy
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
Thanks Alex.

Good to see your truck coming along too.
Thanks... Im so happy lol i finally got to drive it and put my foot in it! It has MAJOR wheel hop... sounds like your hitting a rev limiter

Old 11-26-2011, 12:03 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Over the last two weeks I was able to do a little work on the truck. I got the oil restrictors installed in the heads, new (to me) M/T Valve Covers installed, oil pan gasket replaced, new radiator and heater hoses installed, power wire for the D.U.I. Distributor made up, new spark plugs installed, filled the oil and coolant up. Poured a little fuel in the carb, cranked the ignition and she sprang to life.

I still have a lot of bugs to work out, but she's starting to take shape.

I just installed a used D.U.I Distributor I picked up off of craigslist. I tried to use the "I" terminal on the solenoid, but it only gave power while cranking the starter. Would the Battery side of the solenoid be a better power source, or should I find a "Key-on" power source?
A couple pics of the progress. I still have quite a bit to do before she's ready for the road and a lot of tidying up to do, but any progress is good progress.

Enjoy

I also got the body adjusted and bolted down (as good as it's going to get for now anyways).

Old 11-29-2011, 04:24 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Paint that brake booster and master cylinder!! its hidious!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:41 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by b-uno
Paint that brake booster and master cylinder!! its hidious!
It took longer than I thought for you to tell me that.....

In due time my friend. I have not decided if I want it black or silver. I am thinking the booster in black ans the master cylinder in silver. What paint holds up to brake fluid the best?

How the heck have ya been. I'm ready for some warmer weather. Right now at work we are setting at -30 with the wind chill setting around -56.

*EDIT* - I am disapointed, I expected you to give me heck about the brass "hardware store" plumbing parts I used to supply manifold vacuum to the brake booster.....

Old 11-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
It took longer than I thought for you to tell me that.....

In due time my friend. I have not decided if I want it black or silver. I am thinking the booster in black ans the master cylinder in silver. What paint holds up to brake fluid the best?

How the heck have ya been. I'm ready for some warmer weather. Right now at work we are setting at -30 with the wind chill setting around -56.

*EDIT* - I am disapointed, I expected you to give me heck about the brass "hardware store" plumbing parts I used to supply manifold vacuum to the brake booster.....
actually you can order a chrome master cyl that would be the best way i bet or a polished aluminum one, paint has to be touched up all the time, so i would just flat black cheap paint it to touch it up every year.

haha i am just observing, u should see my work, it would probably make you not want to ride in my truck, i do some shady work. he he he

Old 11-29-2011, 08:19 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
I plan to do the Hydro-Boost set-up next year, that'll clean it up a bunch.

Once I get the truck on the road, I'll start collecting parts for the small projects.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:25 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
So I had a couple hours today and decided to remove my sliding rear window, because it was trashed and start the install of my solid rear glass. Got the old one removed, and started installing the new gasket, the expensive one from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, I was able to get it installed and then noticed it did not have the groove for the wide trim. I double checked the invoice and it said I ordered the one for the wide trim. Now I have to get a hold of them on Monday and see what they are going to do about it. I am torn as to what I want to do at this point. Just not worry about the trim or wait to get the right gasket and install the trim. That trim looks like it would be a pain in the you know what to install.

I leave Tuesday morning for a few weeks, so that means if I wait for the new gasket, I will not get to install the rear glass until after the New Year.

Quick Reply: 73-77 F250 4x4 Winter Project