Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

73-77 F250 4x4 Winter Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:27 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
For a direct fit, that may be your best option.

As far as exhaust is concerned, if it looks like too tight of a fit, I'll just run it ahead of the rear tires and turn up the radio..... I'm hoping that in front of the tires will not end up being too loud. We'll see when I come to that bridge though.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
For a direct fit, that may be your best option.

As far as exhaust is concerned, if it looks like too tight of a fit, I'll just run it ahead of the rear tires and turn up the radio..... I'm hoping that in front of the tires will not end up being too loud. We'll see when I come to that bridge though.

i just dump mine straight back open right under the bed, but got dual glass packs on a single exhaust, quiets the diesel way down.. good thing is if you dump infront the tires it will keep the tires warm to get some traction

Old 09-03-2011, 05:49 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Well, I have been pecking away at this project a few hours here and a few there (sometimes only 30 minutes at a time) between all the other summer projects, obligations and just life in general.

I got a little bit of an ignition problem figured out. Added coolant, checked the oil, plugged in the coil (ran the carb off an alternate fuel source until the fuel pump primed the system) hit the key and the old girl coughed to life. She runs real rough, but that will all get ironed out at a later date.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:24 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like how I work on my stuff- just a few minutes at a time. Keep plugging away at it.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:08 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
any luck finding a NSS for your c6 yet?

Old 09-05-2011, 10:49 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by b-uno
any luck finding a NSS for your c6 yet?
Good to hear from you neighbor.

No, I have not found one yet. I am running a manual transmission, but I just want the NSS so I can cut the plug and the wiring off of it. That's why I am looking for a junk one first. I think I am going to run a clutch interupt switch so that when other people drive my truck, they can not start it in gear.

I am at work for another couple weeks and know of a place I can get one if I don't come up with one before I get home, just have to drive out and get it.

Did you ever install the tilt coulmn?

Old 09-06-2011, 03:00 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
Good to hear from you neighbor.

No, I have not found one yet. I am running a manual transmission, but I just want the NSS so I can cut the plug and the wiring off of it. That's why I am looking for a junk one first. I think I am going to run a clutch interupt switch so that when other people drive my truck, they can not start it in gear.

I am at work for another couple weeks and know of a place I can get one if I don't come up with one before I get home, just have to drive out and get it.

Did you ever install the tilt coulmn?
nope havent messed with it yet. need to tho. i will dig thru my stuff and see if i got anything for you,

Old 09-06-2011, 10:24 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
I will dig thru my stuff and see if i got anything for you.
Thanks man.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:14 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
I will dig thru my stuff and see if i got anything for you,
Hey Buddy, I found one. I got the plug and wiring I was looking for. Now I just need to come up with the plug that goes to the reverse lights switch on the NP435. Once I get that I can hook up my reverse lights and also hook up a clutch interupter switch on the clutch pedal. I would hate for a friend to jump in the truck and forget to push in the clutch before starting it.

I did not have much time to work on the truck last time home, but I did make a little progress. I got all the exterior lights working.

I need to locate the wide chrome trim for the front and back windows. The poor girl needs some glass real bad.

I also made some progress on my custom shifter ****. This is just my mock-up. Once it's completed it should be a lot better looking.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:34 PM
whiteisright
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome shift ****. i have a coors light tap handle im gonna try puttin on mine. its tall so ill have to cut the shifter but thats ok cause the truck came with a 2nd np435 with shifter and crossmember

for your shackle flip, the hanger you put in the rear ofthe spring is just the same hanger as whats on the front of the spring, correct?

Old 09-30-2011, 10:16 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by whiteisright
awesome shift ****. i have a coors light tap handle im gonna try puttin on mine. its tall so ill have to cut the shifter but thats ok cause the truck came with a 2nd np435 with shifter and crossmember.
Thanks. I searched a long time to find this one and once I found it, I had to find the guy that makes them. They are all cast individually and numbered. This guy has a load of talent and is a helluva guy to boot.

Originally Posted by whiteisright
for your shackle flip, the hanger you put in the rear ofthe spring is just the same hanger as whats on the front of the spring, correct?
Correct (to a point). It is a front hanger from the rear spring, but not for the same year. There are a bunch of different ones that'll work, this just happened to be the one I chose.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
u need to drill the eyes and put lights in them, i did that with a skull on my tcase lever, so they skulls eyes light up red when you engage 4x4

Old 10-06-2011, 03:01 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
I want to make sure I'm covered for my next little project.

I was debating to either rebuild the 2brl carb that's on the truck or go ahead and replace it with the 4brl Barry Grant and Edelbrock Performer 390 I have. Since I already have the 4brl carb, intake and associated gaskets I have decided to go ahead and rebuild the Barry Grant carb and install it with the Eddy manifold. I bought the parts for the intake and carb swap quite a while ago.

I get home in about a week from work and want to dive into this so that I can get the truck running better.

Please let me know if I am missing any major key points in the steps.
Set timing (take note of where the rotor is pointing)
Drain coolant
Remove distributor, valve covers
Loosen rocker arms (in proper sequence and one turn at a time)
Remove push rods (keeping in proper order)
Remove intake
Clean up all gasket surfaces
install new (to me) parts in reverse order using "Right Stuff" on ends of intake instead of cork gaskets.

I am considering replacing the water pump with a new one since I am already this far into it too.

Is there any special attention I need to pay to anything in the heads or intake galley area while things are apart.

Thanks for any imput provided

Old 10-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
boy thats gonna be nice to get rid of that heavy stock intake, man its a bear lifting them off.. i did my gaskets one time on 360 wow.. backbreaker forsure.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:42 PM
whiteisright
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great choice using the right stuff. That's what we use at our shop, plus it doesn't have the nasty smell like RTV does.

Quick Reply: 73-77 F250 4x4 Winter Project