Sponsored by: Moser

73-77 F250 4x4 Winter Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 05:16 AM
four-sixty-power
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
At some point, somewhere in this thread or another one.... Another member asked a question regarding if my heater hoses were too short. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now I am questioning it.

I ran them this short to clean up the engine compartment a little. Originally they rested on the inner fender.

Does the way I have them run have the potential to put too much stress on the heater core fittings? If so, now is a good time for me to replace them because I already have the cooling system drained enough to make them longer and rest them back on the inner fender.
From what I have seen Chevy ran their heater hoses on the inner fender away from the exhaust.

Ford carbs had a bracket on them, so Ford heater hoses go from heater core with some slack to a bracket off the carb that the heater hose just sits in/on(a half round piece of pipe basically), and then they go to the engine and water pump.

So with the stock air cleaner the heater hoses are hidden under it and are also out of the way for the stock heat riser flex tube thing from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:05 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I spent some time on the phone and the computer with a FiTech tech and we worked through some issues. Mostly it was my truck, but partially due to the fact they didn't count on an old dirty electrical system when they designed the EFI System.

They created a program and emailed it to me to load onto the handheld monitor, then upload to the ECM. That was a bit of a process, but only because I am computer illiterate... It really wasn't all that bad once I figured it out. Still some issues, but non their fault.

I got the Carquest Platinum AGM battery later today, made some new 2 GA cables and installed everything. She fired right up.

I got some more instructions from him regarding the adjusting the idle. Followed the instructions, she is purring like a kitten, ok well a kitten learning to purr...

Took her for a little drive and smiled

I'll post back tomorrow how the cold start goes.

Originally Posted by Skip1970
just run dual batterys and a hd alternator now that its going to be picky about starting voltage. no engine running videos? id like to hear it.
Oh, I have one video and I'll see if I can get it uploaded tomorrow.

Skip - I tried uploading the video to Photobucket, but it wouldn't go, Sorry man.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:38 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Great News!!!

She fired up this morning and idled, very rough and at a super low idle, but still started and ran.

All I need to do now is find the way to control the cold start idle and warm up idle. It was trying to idle down around 350-400 RPM's.

Another baby step...

Old 01-21-2016, 05:18 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little Progress is still progress, nice work AK.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:31 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
patiently waiting for my test ride when you get it dialed in.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:18 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
patiently waiting for my test ride when you get it dialed in.
Glad you have a lot of patients my friend... It'll be a bit, as I think I am heading out for work this weekend and not sure how long I'll be gone.

I'll let you know when I am back in town and maybe we can get together on one of your runs to Anchorage. My place is only a few minutes off the main Eagle River Exit.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:22 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
i can go to eagle river just as well i dont need no stinking anchorage.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:29 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
i can go to eagle river just as well i dont need no stinking anchorage.

Understood 100%!!! Was just thinking "if you were heading that way" why not stop by.

I think I may still have your number somewhere, but if nothing else, I'll get in touch with you on here when the time comes.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:49 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Understood 100%!!! Was just thinking "if you were heading that way" why not stop by.

I think I may still have your number somewhere, but if nothing else, I'll get in touch with you on here when the time comes.
sounds good, anytime im heading to anchorage i got my 3 kids and wife with me too. im sure they wouldnt want to hang out in the drive way while i talked trucks.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:55 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Well, I spent the 22nd trying some different settings, letting it cool down and then trying other settings. Man, these things take forever to cool down enough to work on cold start issues.

I worked with a FiTech tech in Washington and I think we're on the right track. It started much better than any other time before. I had to head back to work on the 23rd, so no more working on the truck for a while. This will give FiTech and myself time to figure this out. They supposedly have sold a few units to Canadians, so I know I will be able to overcome this issue. So far, while it has not been quite as "Plug & Play" as I'd hoped, I can see the potential and their tech support has been fantastic.

I'll post more once I get back home, whenever that is...

Old 01-25-2016, 07:14 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
anytime anything i go to buy says "plug and play" i k now im in for some trouble. just the nature of the beast.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:35 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Flashlight discussion, feel free to jump in...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16010184

Old 10-06-2016, 12:14 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Well, after a busy spring and summer dealing with family stuff, house stuff and a bunch of other "stuff" in between... I am ramping up to start work on the truck again.

My FiTech EFI is still not running like I had hoped and honestly, I have not touched it much this summer other than moving the truck around the house every now and then to gain access to a trailer, 4-wheeler or motorhome. It is running a little better than before, but still not satisfactory.

My plans for the winter:

1.) Ditch the D.U.I. HEI set-up and install a Duraspark II Distributor and let the FiTech unit control the timing.

2.) Finish the exhaust. Currently it dumps under the truck and I want to re-route some things anyway. I plan to have it dump in front of the rear tires.

3.) Get the FiTech unit dialed in and running correctly.

4.) Decide what I want to do with my front seat. Newer bench or re-upholster the original.

5.) I have heard the EFI stuff works better with a single plane intake manifold. I am searching for one now. But I am going to try an open spacer (I already have a couple to try) on top of the Edelbrock Performer and see if that helps any.

6.) I have a spare NP205 that I would like to clean-up, re-seal and install.

7.) Pull the NP435, do some clean-up, re-seal and re-install.

That's enough for now I guess....

Old 10-06-2016, 12:55 PM
jbehuniak
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Subscribed, looks like fun!

Old 10-06-2016, 11:29 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
them 205 and 435 easy to clean seal and paint.

Quick Reply: 73-77 F250 4x4 Winter Project