Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Explorer is locking up.........Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 PM
ford_raptor
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Explorer is locking up.........Please Help!!!

I have a 97 explorer 5.0 AWD and my wife was driving it today and it come to a hault when she tapped the brake to slow down. I went to haul it home and noticed that the front passenger tire was locking up whenever I would hit the brake just slightly and I mean your stopped instantly. Well the wierd thing is it would not repeat that when going in reverse.......only tried 3 times though but everytime forward it stopped instantly. Now I had my Dad follow me home at a fast pace of 10 m.p.h and we were good.........made sure I didnt have to bump the brake (in the country by the way). Once we reached railroad tracks and hit the first little bump or it was me slowing down it locked up again without hitting the break. Would not unlock until i shut the truck off and started it again. ( N, P did not work while running). I'm a little worried.................Please tell me this is a quick diagnosis/easy repair/cheap fix...........................i'll be happy with atleast 2 of the 3 options

Old 09-08-2009, 10:42 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ford_raptor
I have a 97 explorer 5.0 AWD and my wife was driving it today and it come to a hault when she tapped the brake to slow down. I went to haul it home and noticed that the front passenger tire was locking up whenever I would hit the brake just slightly and I mean your stopped instantly. Well the wierd thing is it would not repeat that when going in reverse.......only tried 3 times though but everytime forward it stopped instantly. Now I had my Dad follow me home at a fast pace of 10 m.p.h and we were good.........made sure I didnt have to bump the brake (in the country by the way). Once we reached railroad tracks and hit the first little bump or it was me slowing down it locked up again without hitting the break. Would not unlock until i shut the truck off and started it again. ( N, P did not work while running). I'm a little worried.................Please tell me this is a quick diagnosis/easy repair/cheap fix...........................i'll be happy with atleast 2 of the 3 options
Thread moved to the Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator forum from the '09-'10 F150 Forum.

Welcome to Ford-Truck Enthusiasts!!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:38 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I am thinking collapsed brake hose, but that wouldn't really explain why shutting the key off and then starting the truck again would clear the issue, unless it's a timing thing. I don't see that an ABS pump being able to apply pressure to a brake line though, but rather quickly releasing pressure (hence preventing the wheel from remaining locked up during normal application), so I'm still going with brake hose. Was that wheel abnormally hot after your slow drive home?

I don't think you could get AdvanceTrac in 1997, but if so, that system would have the ability to apply the brakes rather than just release them.

-Rod

Old 09-09-2009, 05:20 PM
noboston
Junior User
it sounds like you have a solenoid in the abs system hanging up .find the fuse in the interior fuse panel (#11 and #14 in 1996 exp. ) 1997?? remove the fuse .check and see if this cures your problem .try removing the abs fuse in the exterior fuse panel(# 9 in 1996 exp.)the brake system should work in conventional mode with out abs .if this does not lock up now you have problem in the abs system . sounds like a grounded wire .if the brake is still locking up with the abs disconected,maybe a bad brake hose??

Old 09-10-2009, 04:13 PM
ford_raptor
New User
Thanks for the help

Well I am happy now that I finally looked at it. Some how the bottom bolt on the caliper had disappeared which was letting the caliper run into the wheel and lock up...........................Scary Thanx