1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

F-350 with a new life purpose...rock crawling!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Donny_D
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-350 with a new life purpose...rock crawling!

hey guys though i would share a bit with you guys from my weekend.

i went to Moab, UT for the weekend with my buddys that go there every year. this was my first trip there.

we decided to to the triple threat as its known.. has obsticals like the launch pad and the golden crack... however we didnt make it to far past the Lauch pad before my buddys jeep busted a lower control arm... so that was the end of the day... back to the begining.. anyhow i got a bunch of pictures and some video that im going to be posting up at a later date... now onto the new direction...

i am looking at doing a coil over conversoin in the front and a full spring lift in the back(instead of the blocks i have now)... lock rite locker in the front, selectable locker in the rear. winches front and back off-road bumpers w/ winch mont... those are just bolt ons, im also looking at choping the bed of the truck up, im going to make the shackle mount about where the end of the truck is to avoid the bumper hung up... looking at chopping 6-8 inches off the back end! its going to be a LONG pretty expensive road but i have a new found purpose for the truck...

any idea's that you might have for mods that i have mentioned or something that would be at least trying will be awesome and very much appreciated!

just though i would share and like i said ill have a new album posted later on once i get with everyone that went to get there photo's... thanks for reading and sorry about the sorta off topic post!

Old 09-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
2 of my Friends just went there with there Jeep's and they broke a bunch of stuff and they do rock crawling but they had a blast. I cant help you with this but good luck.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:21 PM
rancid
Freshman User
you can take off 13 " and the shackles and hangers still hide under the bumper.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Donny_D
Senior User
13 inches!... have you done this to your truck already?

Old 09-09-2009, 11:32 AM
al3x
Junior User
Should be a sweet ride. What do you think your starting point will be?

Old 09-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Layson
Posting Guru
There is a guy over on PSN with a sweet rock crawling 6.0...

Old 09-09-2009, 11:50 AM
AIbandit
Senior User
I would suggest buying a cheap jeep and building that. You will save money and fit on more trails.

Not to mention trail fixes would be fn scary I've seen hi-lift jacks spit out from under a jeep I wouldnt put mine near my PSD.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:24 PM
al3x
Junior User
Originally Posted by AIbandit
I would suggest buying a cheap jeep and building that. You will save money and fit on more trails.

Not to mention trail fixes would be fn scary I've seen hi-lift jacks spit out from under a jeep I wouldnt put mine near my PSD.
He has a point... don't you use your truck as a daily driver also?

Old 09-09-2009, 12:31 PM
rockcrawler_101
Senior User
i always wanted to convert my truck over to a 6x6 with some rockwells. You will have to go with a ARB in the rear axle because the 10.25. I hate ARB's but will be putting on in my jeep that has a 10.25, but they leak and you loose your locker. If your really thinking about doing heavy wheeling i would ditch the axles you have and go with rockwells. You can build up some decent dana 60 but its expensive!! knuckles are 500 bucks axles shafts are 1800 for the long fields. Sense you plan on changing your front suspension anyways it would be worth the extra effort to put rockwells in and probably cheaper. Love to see what you build though not many superduties on the trail.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:35 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the jeep thing. Why ruin a perfectly good PSD?

Old 09-09-2009, 12:41 PM
AIbandit
Senior User
think about the value of a PSD versus picking up an XJ for 1000$.
bounce it off the rocks there were millions made.

Plenty of parts in junk yards aswell.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:36 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Couple things, selectable locker goes in the front. Without it, try steering. When your front axle is locked you dont steer. So if you ever wanted to drive while using 4wd, you would want a selectable, or limited slip in the front. If you like to turn that is. I have a detroit in the rear of mine, and love it, but I am used to the driveline noises it makes. Takes some getting used to. Absouletely do not go that far, on a daily driver. As there will come a time, were you dont get done as much as you wanted to, and the truck doesnt move, or you took it this far apart, part store isnt open or doesnt have what you need to put it back together ona sunday. Ask me how I know any of the above, as I went through all that. Now I have a back up DD for my DD and this, which I am still working on (5 years of setting it up just how I have wanted it)

Old 09-09-2009, 03:59 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
A 3/4 ton truck is a poor platform to begin a rock crawler build on. In the end, there will be very little of the truck left and you'll have spent more $ than if you had built a RC rig from scratch.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Lets just say I never saw one Full size rig out on the Hammers in Socal. The only one we saw just played around on the dunes... LOL

but don't let this keep you from doing your project. I think it is real cool. Nothing like having that turbo singing while hammering down on some rocks!!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Fordbronco69
Infidel

Full Traction makes a coil conversion for our trucks, that I myself will be getting when I get outa the sand box. Kinda pricey but puts a brand new coil system on the front. Not sure if it would be good for rockin but trying to throw some ideas out there for ya.

EDIT Heres the link for ya http://www.full-traction.com/detail....TID=394&NOTES=

Quick Reply: F-350 with a new life purpose...rock crawling!