1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Glovebox Door Tag Rivits

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:21 AM
black58
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You don't have to act like a little child Julie If the cop thinks there is any kind of funny business going on, do you really think he's going to climb under the truck, or into the engine compartment and check the frame? The procedure is to impound the vehicle on the spot and take it into the lot to have their guys check it out. This isn't the 60's we're talking about, it's 2009. Everybody's looking to make some extra money, including local municipalities. I understand that there are some cool cops that would let it slide, but obviously, there are also some people that like to cause problems every chance they get. And by the way, what's with all the sarcasm? I never said it was the VIN plate, go back and read my post. You seem to get pretty worked up when people don't see things the same as you. What's with that?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:00 AM
jbrittonjr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my F-3 from a family in Pennsylvania. The truck had been registered in Pennsylvania for years and I found copies of the old insurance & registration cards in the cab. When I went to NJ Motor Vehicles to transfer the title and register the truck, you would have thought I was speaking Klingon to the clerks.
The existing 10 digit VIN didn't help, either, as the clerks are used to 17 digit numbers that conform to present day standards.
All is well now but at the time I thought I would have to make a trip to the main office in Trenton and hope for a clerk with experience.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vin

I've also had VIN #problems here in Calif--the same recurring problem.Now that we here "link" active car insurance with active registration etc--every year or so I get a "warning" letter etc from my insurance company that "the state of Calif" has no record of my VIN #. I've had the truck since 1992-another truck-not my 58F100, and when I bought it I couldn't find a VIN and neither could the DMV when I took it to them on a trailer before I started the restoration--its a non Ford-. And so I made appointment with the Highway Patrol to trailer the truck to them and they did inspection etc and "added a new and unique plate and VIN # tag both on the door post and the frame". Unfortunately its not the 17digit? or whatever is used today and the state/&or my ins company can't handle it!!! So each time this comes up--I guess every year or so--I just mail them photos of the VIN tag on the truck etc and explain the history etc.
in response to their most current warning letter. They don't respond but accept this I guess, because I eventually get my new tags and don't hear more until next time. Its getting so funny--I kinda look forward to each year LOL

Goodluck Tom

Old 09-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Each state is different, and as was previously mentioned most of the time those folks don't have a clue about where the right numbers are or how to look for them. That's why a lot of state DMVs will simply start over by assigning new VIN numbers that conform to the ir particular laws. Another point is that, like in California, the registration process is all computerized. What that means is the clerk has to put the right codes and the right number of letters/numbers in each box at each stage. If you can't the computer just stops the process. I had that problem when trying to put YOM plates on my 51 Boat Trailer. The computer just had fits with the numbers from the trailer serial number to plate number to user codes, etc. But if you perservere, you can get through it - sometimes you just need to ask that "old timer" in the office.

With regard to Black58s answer above, all I can say is that before I answered this question, I took the time to call the Nevada Highway Patrol (original poster is in Henderson, Nevada) and talk to Capt. Todd Ellison about this question. His response was very simple and very clear.

He acknowledged that this truck does not have a VIN number that complies with the Federal ISO Standard 3779 of February 1977 and last revised in 1983 - they have serial numbers that are different between manufacturers and years of vehicles.

Second he stated that in Nevada, in order to get the truck titled and registered it would have to go through an inspection. If that inspection did not yield a VIN or SERIAL number that was not PERMINENTLY AFFIXED to the vehicle (and he specifically negated glove box door rating plates because they are REMOVEABLE) a new one would be assigned to the vehicle.

Further he stated: If a Peace Officer were to stop the vehicle, and find it prudent to check the VIN/Serial number, he would check the location of the new DECAL that the DMV affixed to the vehicle for the new VIN at the inspection, or yes in fact, he would have to check the Serial number that was perminently affixed to the vehicle, ie. the frame. The Captain again specifically negated the Glove Box Rating plate because they are so easily changed. So Glove box ratin gplates and the stinking rivets are mute.

So, if the original poster wants to replace the Glove Box Door Rating Plate and have it be resto-historically correct, then he can find original rivets and the special tool they require and put it on dulpicationg OEM mehtods and specs.

BUT, when it comes to the LAW, Black, THE LAW, the State of Nevada, doesn't care and isn't going to use the glove box rating plate for a VIN check, they aren't going to tow this guys truck away because he has pop rivets on that plate insted of curfed hallow rivets, or for that matter if the plate is not even installed. Lastly, they are not going to make issue if the Glove Box Rating Plate Serial Number does not match the number on the VIN area of the title/registration, because THEY DON'T USE THAT PLATE FOR VIN CHECK PURPOSES.

Of course I'm only quoting a Nevada Highway Patrol Captain who's specific responsibility is Vehicle Identification and training of Officers in Vehicle identification mind you.

If you think that that type of a researched answer is "Ignorant" and that we are going to get this young new buck in trouble or "shut down his entire project" and you are arrogant enough to say so, then complain about sarcastic answers when you post something that Arsenine, I'd suggest next time, you research your facts before shooting off your big mouth.

Don't like my answers or my defense of a factual answer, tough. Sarcasm is alot more entertaining than calling you an idiot.

Wanna check for yourself? Here's the number (775) 684-4808 Linda or Sherry will answer the phone and transfer you to the appropriate department.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 AM
black58
Elder User
Julie, I seem to have struck a nerve with you. You really, really want to be right about this don't you. The serial number on my truck is stamped on the frame rail, UNDER THE CAB. I found it when I had the cab off. You cannot see it with the cab on. If a police officer were to pull me over and want to verify the serial number on my truck and felt that the plate on the glove box wasn't sufficient the vehicle would be towed in and checked out, on my dime. Not every truck is the same. When they made these trucks they seem to have stamped the numbers in all sorts of different places as long as it was somewhere in the general area. The original poster has his number in clear view, others aren't so lucky, and might see your post suggesting to use nails to affix the plate and do so. And like I said, this could pose a problem. Like you said, every state is different. Being ignorant isn't always a bad thing Julie, but acting like a know-it-all is. We aren't going to agree on the subject Julie. Just add my name to the growing list of people that have offended you.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:41 PM
mixup
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok let metell all of you the problem. My 60 F100 has the numbers stamped in the frame just ahead of the firewall. The data plate is where the problem is. I don't care what Captain so and so says it's the inspector at the DMV that wants to see the plate and the numbers in the frame. I guess to see if they match. And if he thinks the rivits have been tampered with It's up to him if he wants to OK it or not. I'm not worried about the cops on the road just the DMV. Now the second problem. I have a friend that also has a 60 F100 and moved from NJ to Arizona. He hasn't found his numbers on the frame yet but the AZ DMV told him they have to inspect the data plate and the frame to. Thats why I'm asking about the correct rivits because he needs them also. Yes we can use any rivits but if you get a jerk at the DMV and he doesn't want to hear about old stuff and right or wrong rivits your screwed. I'm just trying to do the right thing and avoid any problems. I have a Nevada title for my truck but that don't mean I won't have any trouble. I have a 69 Chevy also with a Nevada title and they still gave me the run around when I went to register it. They must like giving people with old vehicles a hard time.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:49 PM
black58
Elder User
Like I said earlier, I know that the guy at the link I posted has the rivets. Email him and ask if he'll sell you a few outright.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:20 PM
mixup
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Black58 I emailed that guy and the rivits come with his tags so I might have the buy the tag to get them.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:02 PM
black58
Elder User
He's probably going to charge a hundred bucks for the tag. Here you go, 12 bucks a pair http://www.trimtags.com/rivets.html

Old 09-09-2009, 05:30 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Regardless of any of the above, if you have a data plate on the glove box, it better have the same numbers as the ones on the frame, or you are asking for trouble.

I would think a bright, shiny new data plate with brand new rivets on a 50+ yr old truck is as big a Flashing Red Light as any DMV guy could dream of.

Black, I bet you also have serial numbers in front of your firewall in addition to the one under the cab. They can be very hard to find and read tho.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by black58
Julie, I seem to have struck a nerve with you. Stupid and incorrect advice to a new person usually beg for correction by most of us who know the facts. But honestly , I don't care that much about th epersonal slams from someone who doesn't warrant respect in the first place. You really, really want to be right about this don't you. I AM RIGHT and YOU are WRONG - Mr. Big Man. It'shard to deny the truth from the horses mouth. I invite the original poster to check with the experts at the number I provided if in doubt. The serial number on my truck is stamped on the frame rail, UNDER THE CAB. I found it when I had the cab off. You cannot see it with the cab on. If a police officer were to pull me over and want to verify the serial number on my truck and felt that the plate on the glove box wasn't sufficient the vehicle would be towed in and checked out, on my dime. If your truck frame stamped VIN number is not visible or can be seen during an inspection by an officer, then the DMV (if you are in Nevada) should have assigned a new VIN. But you aren't in Nevada are you...You are in Illinois and maybe that is the case in Illinois. Your laws are different there. Pull your head out long enough to read the post Black. Not every truck is the same. When they made these trucks they seem to have stamped the numbers in all sorts of different places as long as it was somewhere in the general area. The original poster has his number in clear view, others aren't so lucky, and might see your post suggesting to use nails to affix the plate and do so. I stated that the new tags come with the curved nails to affix the tags and th ecops really don't care what they are. You haven't read the posts And like I said, this could pose a problem. Like you said, every state is different. Being ignorant isn't always a bad thing Julie, but acting like a know-it-all is. We aren't going to agree on the subject Julie. Just add my name to the growing list of people that have offended you. Facts are facts. I'm not at all ignorant, and far be it from you to be qualified to make that judgement.
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Regardless of any of the above, if you have a data plate on the glove box, it better have the same numbers as the ones on the frame, or you are asking for trouble.

I would think a bright, shiny new data plate with brand new rivets on a 50+ yr old truck is as big a Flashing Red Light as any DMV guy could dream of.

Black, I bet you also have serial numbers in front of your firewall in addition to the one under the cab. They can be very hard to find and read tho.
A very prudent suggestion Ross. This Poor guys going to have to get his truck inspected and fact is they are going to find the original number on the frame, or assign a new one. And if they assign a new one, he will have a new official plackard withteh number on it put in a visible place by a DMV officer. If they use the original and it is not accessible, there will be a note on the registration - it's just that simple.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:10 AM
black58
Elder User
Look Julie, I want to let this go, but you keep coming back and insulting me, I have not insulted you at all. You say that I offer stupid advice, that's not true. Suggesting that someone should use nails to attach their data plate in my opinion is the stupid advice. I did read the post, YOU need to go back and read the post. The OP wanted to know where to get the rivets because they need to look like the originals. I answered his question, you said to use nails, REALLY?? NAILS?? That advice is wrong, YOU ARE WRONG but won't accept it. Why do you have to be insulting in your postings? You said yourself, if you don't get your way you cry about it. You are making this very obvious. Most DMV workers/police officers would check the serial number on the data plate to what is on file and be happy. If they saw something like nails holding the data plate on, that would raise a red flag. They would then want to see the number on the frame. If the owner couldn't get to the number easily, that could pose a problem. Like I said this is 2009, not 1951. You can't just attach a serial number any which way and expect it to fly. Seriously though, I've noticed in other postings that you seem to get offended pretty easily and start calling people names. That's grade school stuff, we're adults here.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
The "nails" she is referring to are called "drive rivets" or similar. They look like nails but have a spiral fluted shaft and were used extensively to hold on plates. Rebuilders use similar ones to attach a tag to the block with rebuild info. They have a rounded head like a rivet and do not need to be cold-headed like a plain rivet.

Time to move on, dontcha think.......

Old 09-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes. Let's drop it and just forget any harsh words. Let's begin fresh.

Good luck Tom

Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 AM
black58
Elder User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
The "nails" she is referring to are called "drive rivets" or similar. They look like nails but have a spiral fluted shaft and were used extensively to hold on plates. Rebuilders use similar ones to attach a tag to the block with rebuild info. They have a rounded head like a rivet and do not need to be cold-headed like a plain rivet.

Time to move on, dontcha think.......
That's fine ALBUQ, I know what they are, but they aren't right for this application. I simply pointed out that those were not the right rivets, and that it could cause a problem. She was the one that came in with the insults, stupid, idiotic, Mr Big Man, arsenine, etc... I tried to let it go by posting the link to the rivets the OP needed. She however can't seem to let it go and continues with the insults. It seems that she is trying to support her case by making me look foolish. When I said others were ignorant, I meant that the holes in the door are about 5/16th of an inch in diameter and that the drive rivets would not work. The OP needs to only satisfy the DMV clerk right now, but in the future, it could be a City cop in another state. My point is most of the time when someone (a DMV clerk or a police officer) sees the data plate attached in the correct spot, in the correct way, they will accept the data on the plate if it matches the data on file. When they have a reason to think something is up, like a data plate that is attached incorrectly, they will then want to investigate further (also, sometimes people just want to be a jerk). This is not always an easy option and could cause problems. EVEN IF THE NUMBER ON THE FRAME MATCHES. I did not say this would happen every time, but it is a possibility. I'm trying to help, but it gets difficult when you have another poster, who IS wrong no matter how much they want to believe it, doing everything they can to prove otherwise.

Quick Reply: Glovebox Door Tag Rivits