Wvo, bio, wmo.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:53 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust
Remeber WVO is a hobbie and a comitment.

1. Your going to have no Diesel if you don't make it.

2. And if you tell the place you will pick up there WVO you better pick up there WVO.

Plus if you use is less then what your production run will be what are your plans for the excess?
I'm ok with that. My hobby is tinkering anyway and this way at least I can make something useful out of it. I don't mind thinking ahead and making sure I have the arrangements made for what I need. Any additional WVO I have will likely be used to fuel my oil heater to heat my shop. I have a 250 gallon tank that I plan to use for storing oil for my heater.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:45 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
...need to purchase: a larger tank for my truck (both are 16 gal. units I think) ...What is the HOH you reference...
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
HOH - hose-on-hose is running your fuel line next to heater hoses. Most wrap insulation around the 'bundle' to help with heat exchange.

HIH or TIH is a much, much more effective option (and actually costs LESS). By using 1/2" tee's and easily modified compression fittings, we run aluminum fuel line inside 3/4" heater hose and get a very effective heat exchange...The short-trip concern is legitimate...

I would never 'blend' VO with diesel. The issues include separation in the diesel tank resulting in cold starts on straight VO and long-term polymerization of the VO...
DIYMechanic.
You mention two tanks. What year is your truck?

SkySkiJason.
HOH is actually an extension of the heater hoses utilizing T's. I do not trust HIH because of the possibility of a leak causing cross contamination (water getting in the fuel).
As for polymerization, i have been doing this since 2003 and continue to vary my blending. It is an issue to be aware of and that is one of many reasons we have to pay attention to the details.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:25 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,895 Likes on 1,145 Posts
This is the ONLY hobby I've ever had that paid for itself (and a hotrod 7.3 and an Excursion and a BTS...)

I have looked and not found a single cross-contamination failure of TIH, other 'concerns' perhaps - but that ain't gonna happen. IMO, even the issues some have had using TIH - its benefits are well worth it. Cheaper is just a BONUS!!

I don't have ANY rubber hose anywhere in my trucks (neither did FORD ). I promise the alum tubing and teflon-line SS hoses I'm using will last 10x as long as any fuel hose!

I have a 250 gallon tank that I plan to use for storing oil for my heater.
Probably not the best idea if the inside of the tank is steel - DEFINITELY not a good idea if its rusty inside (insert war story here...). Polymerization is the natural decomposition of VO. Among the things that accelerate this reaction is exposure to oxidants - in this case, carbon steel. I wouldn't fool with WVO for shop heat - except maybe to dispose of the crap I don't burn. WMO is much easier to get and has a nearly infinite shelf life - unlike WVO.

What year is your truck?
I think he said its an IDI...

Old 12-20-2010, 05:01 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck is a '96. 7.3 PSD.

My intent was to use the steel tank I have in my shop for WMO for the heater but I appreciate the words of caution on using carbon steel with WVO. I also have access to some 275 gal. "totes" that I would like to use for WVO storage, separation and filtering. I had initially figured on just using WMO in the shop heater, but since I have it set up for oil, I suppose I could use it to burn excess WVO if I had to. Boy that would be a nice problem to have. Imagine having too much fuel and needing something to do with it!

Old 12-20-2010, 05:20 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
DIYMechanic
You will need more heat in your fuel system than i require because my area is not as cold as yours.

There is a massive amount of info here. It is one of several sites i visit almost daily. I am DN there.
Forums - Powered by Social Strata