1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO windows or radio for 30-60sec???

Old 03-21-2012, 11:50 AM
nstubbert
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, thanks, I will try fiddling with the relay first to see if that works.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:31 PM
quackrz
Junior User
I've had the same sort of issue for awhile. Instrument cluster, radio, and windows would go out. Most of the time it is when I am driving. Would go out for 30-60 sec. last few times when it happened I slapped the top of the dash. Whammo everything came back on. Last time it happened was several months ago. Maybe my dash didn't like getting slapped

Old 03-21-2012, 01:45 PM
W9HDG
Junior User
Same issue I have in my '03 when the cab gets hot, only half my instrument cluster and my dome lights don't work either. cycle the key a few times (or remote start with the ac cranked,) and then I'm fine. I think I need a new instrument cluster, but until I have a couple extra bucks (more than a couple,) laying around, I'll just make due.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:41 PM
brisbon
New User
Originally Posted by azskycop
FIXED!!!

I finally got this bug fixed without spending $800 at the dealer. My problem was in the instrument cluster and the whole thing needed to be replaced according to the dealer. Instead I took the time to run down where the power needed to go and another source to get it from.

Here is the fix:

Run a jump wire from Pin 87 on Relay #02 (the delay relay) to pin 5 on Relay #203. Just look on the side of the relay and it will tell you what pin is what. Then I broke off the 87 pin on Relay #02 so if/when power did come in it would not matter.

Now I get stereo and power windows as soon as I turn the key, just like it should be, and with $800 in my pocket!
This post was confusing my 2001 f350 had no such relay #203 so all I did was run a wire from top pin#87 on the delay relay to lower pin #87 on the trailer relay. and it works key on! sweeetttt saved me a trip to the dealer and its good being its all still protected by the fuses.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:39 PM
tonyvivilacqua
New User
Mine is not intermittent

I have a 99 PSD. My truck was broken into. ever since then my windows and several other things dont from 10 to 45 seconds. I will go change this relay today...

Originally Posted by racinghoss
This is the EXACT issue that my '05 has. Mine has had it since about 15K miles and had been to the dealership several times for it. Since it does not do it all the time, they cannot reproduce it at the shop - so they have not fixed it under warranty.

Mine seems to do it more when it is cold out. It has only done it once all summer, but it occurs frequently when it is colder.

I will look into the GEMs. Thanks.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:25 PM
quackrz
Junior User
So I think I found my problem. This morning on the way to work it quit working again but did not come back on, so this gave me the chance when I got to work, to dive into it. So I took the dash cover off so I could get to the cluster. I was about to take the little bolts out so I could get to the connectors on top, but instead I just pushed down a little on C220B connector and everything came back on. I played with it a little bit pushing that connector and it would go off, push again come back on.
C220B connector is the one on the top right as you are looking at the dash.

So now I need to figure out if it is a wire on the connector side or a pin on the cluster side. I feel a lot better now that at least I pinpointed it to the connector.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice job! That could help many here with the problem.

I will say that mine has not had the problem since I played with the 'delayed acc.' relay quite some time ago now.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:04 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine's at the Ford dealer now. Intermittent door locks, windows locked in up position, no radio. So far they claim the VSM is ok and they can't seem to find the problem.

My ignition has been bad for years, I can take the key out when running sometimes if I don't insert it all the way. And, when I turn it off and pull the key, the chime goes off and the door locks stay up as if the key is still in the ignition.

Could the ignition be causing the intermittent door lock, no window and radio issues?

Old 08-04-2012, 04:41 PM
JKBrad
Received 799 Likes on 585 Posts
It sure could. So much is controlled through the ignition switch.

A weak battery causes some problems too. The bad switch would cause a strain on the battery.

If your battery is a few years old, I would replace both.

If you have a heavy key chain, consider having a clip for just the ignition key and use it without the key chain connected. A heavy key chain ruins an ignition switch over time.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:30 PM
9402fordguy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had a similar problem occur about 5 times over the last year... get in, start the truck and no radio. I did figure out through random playing that if I open the door and close it again that it will fix the problem... the second the door closes the radio comes to life.

I have never noticed any problems with the dome lights. The last time it happened about a week ago I noticed it when I was trying to roll down my window and nothing happened (that's only the second time I have noticed the no windows when no radio) but again, opening the door and closing it again instantly corrects the problem. No idea why they are all connected, but that seems to work for me the few times I have had it happen.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 9402fordguy
I have had a similar problem occur about 5 times over the last year... get in, start the truck and no radio. I did figure out through random playing that if I open the door and close it again that it will fix the problem... the second the door closes the radio comes to life.

I have never noticed any problems with the dome lights. The last time it happened about a week ago I noticed it when I was trying to roll down my window and nothing happened (that's only the second time I have noticed the no windows when no radio) but again, opening the door and closing it again instantly corrects the problem. No idea why they are all connected, but that seems to work for me the few times I have had it happen.

Mine did the exact same.

Also I have not had the problem yet since playing with the delayed acc. relay. Been over a year now I believe.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:29 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Got it back from the dealer, they supposedly found a blown 10 amp fuse at #41. And found a shorted yellow wire in the battery saver relay circuit. Took them 3 days to troubleshoot it.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:48 PM
lads_john
Freshman User
I'm having a similar issue but it persists beyond the 30-60 seconds. Everything worked yesterday. This morning, no windows and no stereo.
Drove for 10 minutes and it still doesn't work.

Tried swapping around the starter and delayed acc relays but still have the same issue.

The only twist to my tale is I found a rodent nest under the hood (I've been battling them for a while. Last time they chewed through the vacuum hoses to the front hubs). I don't see any chewed wires so I'm guessing it's the relay integrated into the instrument cluster (thanks Ford!).

So for my 2006 F250 PSD, what pin on 306 should I be hotwiring to what pin on what other relay? Any advice appreciated!

Old 09-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Some have had the problem go away temporarily by tapping or lightly pounding on the top of the dash above the gauge cluster. The ones mentioning this "fix" have had some sort of gauge cluster problem contributing to the windows and radio problem.

My problem went away when I would shut the drivers side door and like I mentioned after playing with the relays I haven't had the problem since.

Like I mentioned earlier it is a hard problem to pinpoint because it is so temporary not many get to test things while having the trouble. Also it seems more than a couple different things (problems) can make the window and radio problem happen.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:44 PM
lads_john
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Some have had the problem go away temporarily by tapping or lightly pounding on the top of the dash above the gauge cluster. The ones mentioning this "fix" have had some sort of gauge cluster problem contributing to the windows and radio problem.

My problem went away when I would shut the drivers side door and like I mentioned after playing with the relays I haven't had the problem since.

Like I mentioned earlier it is a hard problem to pinpoint because it is so temporary not many get to test things while having the trouble. Also it seems more than a couple different things (problems) can make the window and radio problem happen.
I've made a little progress on mine in the past few hours. The symptoms don't exactly match this thread in that my stereo and windows *never* work. They don't come back after 60 seconds - or at all. But fuse 41 is blown and new fuses also blow. I suspect a chafed wire somewhere leading directly to ground.
My knowledge of electronics is starting to fail me though because I can't explain why when I measure the draw from that fuse connector - it reads 12 amps (the fuse is a 10 amp fuse so that explains why it blows). But when I try a 15AMP fuse (just for testing) - it also blows that one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NO windows or radio for 30-60sec???