Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Red Head steering box

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 08:42 PM
peglegger
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Head steering box

I just installed a new Red Head steering box and the steering wheel is a little off center, can I adjust it at the drag link or will it mess up the alignment.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by peglegger
I just installed a new Red Head steering box and the steering wheel is a little off center, can I adjust it at the drag link or will it mess up the alignment.
I am not sure, but ask Wa. Ranger, he just installed one and has been messing with it. Sorry I couldn' t help you more.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:37 PM
agg_bagg
Senior User
it won't do anything with your alignment to turn it a notch or to. all it will do is readjust your steering wheel. what you want to do is adjust the pit-man arm on the steering box until your steering wheel is strait and also the wheels turn the same amount both ways.

if this isn't possible then you need to get it aligned. but if it was good before you changed steering boxes then you should be able to get it back that way.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:01 AM
peglegger
Freshman User
Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow. I drove from Manitoba to Seattle for a wedding with 2" of play in the steering wheel, first stop was @ Red Head. Any body on the fence about buying one of these units don't hesitate, it feels like a new truck. And Harvey was great to deal with to. Thanks to all you guys that posted your opinions on this company and their product, it made my decision an easy one.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:35 AM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

You can just loosen up your adjustable "tube" and a small rotation should line your wheel back up. No alignment needed for this; I'm not saying that you don't need an alignment though, I don't know how your truck's front end is.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Centering the steering wheel is easy.

All you do is loosen these two bolts and rotate that sleeve. Rotating it towards the rear of the truck moves the steering wheel CCW, IIRC.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:58 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw
Centering the steering wheel is easy.

All you do is loosen these two bolts and rotate that sleeve. Rotating it towards the rear of the truck moves the steering wheel CCW, IIRC.

If you adjust the DRAG LINK adjustment tube (pitman arm to outer tie rod) you are fine. If you adjust the TIE ROD adjustment tube, you are now in the danger zone and adjusting your toe.

I just replaced all my tie rods, drag links and adjustment tubes and took it to Firestone for an alignment. I told them to center the wheel, and of course they didn't.

All you've got to do is loosen the two nuts on the upper adjustment tube (drag link) and adjust the effective length of the drag link. if you rotate it clockwise (as looking at it from the driver's wheel well), which is like rotating it up and back towards the engine, you will move your steering wheel to the left. Obviously adjusting it the other way will move it to the right. It took me a few tweaks to center mine.

Be sure you are torquing the nuts to 40lb-ft. Also, there is some play in the heim joints on the drag link ends. For best life, I would make sure that each end is centered on it's axis with regards to it's mount (outer tie rod which is vertical and pitman arm that's at an angle). I was wondering why my steering effort was a little off after my first adjustment and it was the fact that I spun the tube and tightened it, but never saw how each end was at the end of play on it's axis.

Just my .02 and good luck straightening the wheel! (I'm OCD about that stuff too)

Old 09-06-2009, 09:33 AM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Does the Red Head steering box reduce the steering effort needed to turn the steering wheel? Had ball joints replaced and front aligned but steering is still a little hard. Is this just common to these trucks or can it be improved with this box?

Old 09-06-2009, 10:14 AM
stroken
Posting Guru
stock size tires farmdad?

I have 38s and you cant turn my wheels sitting still at all. I want to do a hydro assist soon.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brian42
If you adjust the DRAG LINK adjustment tube (pitman arm to outer tie rod) you are fine. If you adjust the TIE ROD adjustment tube, you are now in the danger zone and adjusting your toe.

I just replaced all my tie rods, drag links and adjustment tubes and took it to Firestone for an alignment. I told them to center the wheel, and of course they didn't.

All you've got to do is loosen the two nuts on the upper adjustment tube (drag link) and adjust the effective length of the drag link. if you rotate it clockwise (as looking at it from the driver's wheel well), which is like rotating it up and back towards the engine, you will move your steering wheel to the left. Obviously adjusting it the other way will move it to the right. It took me a few tweaks to center mine.

Be sure you are torquing the nuts to 40lb-ft. Also, there is some play in the heim joints on the drag link ends. For best life, I would make sure that each end is centered on it's axis with regards to it's mount (outer tie rod which is vertical and pitman arm that's at an angle). I was wondering why my steering effort was a little off after my first adjustment and it was the fact that I spun the tube and tightened it, but never saw how each end was at the end of play on it's axis.

Just my .02 and good luck straightening the wheel! (I'm OCD about that stuff too)

That is the drag link adjustment tube.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:39 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Tires were stock up till I did new tires, ball joints and alignment at the same time. Wander was reduced but still a little hard to steer. Peglegger's experience is encouraging so I have that on my wish list.