K & N Filters,

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K & N Filters,

How many people are having, or have had problems with K & N filters.... Or any Oiled filter element brand...

I am asking for actual issue's
Not I know a guy who has a brothers cousin, who blamed K&N for his 300000 mile MAF for going out... Which there is alot of.

It seems, that there are issue's caused from over oiling... Owner error if you will... But it is also Human nature, to blame for misfortunes...as well as a statement to ones character...

I wll say, I have posed this questions on many sites, my findings will be posted at the end...
Thanks

Old 09-03-2009, 12:23 PM
lew52
Postmaster
I have used K&N filters for a long time . I have one in my DD 04-5.4 150 , its the reussable factor replacement filter & works great . I also have a 95 302 that i used a K&N cone filter on it that takes oil , oiled it just as it says in the kit . Had problems with my MA meter getting fouled , cleaned it a few times then replaced it with a PRO-M mass air meter that comes with its own filter , they say do not put any oil on it ever . So i like K&N filters but will not use one that takes oil on a hi performance motor that is mass air.... Lew

Old 09-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Yes, 2 replaced units in 1997 on new Cougar V8 (cleaning failed & covered under Ford warranty)- new K&N filter- factory oiled & prepped. If you go to flatratetech.com, look at the training section- videos, FORd even has a vid to train their techs on the potential e-component damage.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
I see not many people with actual problems...

No one on other sites either...

Old 03-17-2010, 04:29 PM
mongoo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e component?

Old 05-15-2010, 11:42 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang6147
I see not many people with actual problems...
No one on other sites either...
K&N + MAF damage = URBAN LEGEND!!!

Originally Posted by mongoo
e component?
I think he's referring to electronic components like MAF's.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Beechkid
[QUOTE=BigPigDaddy;8893335]K&N + MAF damage = URBAN LEGEND!!!

flatratetech.com, look at the training section- videos; specific 15 minutes training by Ford Motor company techs as part of their continuous ed program........given the thousands of managed units that occurred in the 90's, you are either too young to remember or unconscious!- go look at the vid for yourself and decide then.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Mustang6147
Posting Guru
I havent been on here in almost 6 months, or maybe more. I had to laugh when I saw this thread which I thought was dead, pop up in my email with a reply.

I think the time interval from sept of last year till now supports the fact that this problem doesnt exist, but is more a user issue over oiling the filter element. K&N agknowleged there over oiling issue, and it has been corrected for some time. I think its kind of related to more is better mentality, which is a wastefull mindset.

My SuperDuty, and umpteen Mustangs, Dodges, and Chevies that I run with, all have K&N. The only headache it brings is trying to find out who has my K&N oil spray can, when I need it.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:31 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Beechkid
flatratetech.com, look at the training section- videos; specific 15 minutes training by Ford Motor company techs as part of their continuous ed program........given the thousands of managed units that occurred in the 90's, you are either too young to remember or unconscious!- go look at the vid for yourself and decide then.
Not that I think I will change the mind of anyone who thinks Satan invented K&N filters, but here we go:

I've said it before, but just because 1% of K&N users used too much oil and it may have contributed to MAF failure, doesn't mean K&N filters are junk. My personal experience says otherwise. I don't doubt it has occurred, but I believe it was operator error and the stories have been greatly exaggerated, thus the term Urban Legend. I also don't doubt Ford made a training video, but that doesn't make the legend true.

I'm not too young to remember the 90's (maybe too old), but I base my beliefs on real world experience, not rumors tossed around on the 'net.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:23 PM
ocrush
Freshman User
K&N good stuff, no issues in 10 solid years. over oiling can be remedied with electric component cleaner on Maf every other oil change. Dont believe the hype.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
Not that I think I will change the mind of anyone who thinks Satan invented K&N filters, but here we go:

I've said it before, but just because 1% of K&N users used too much oil and it may have contributed to MAF failure, doesn't mean K&N filters are junk. My personal experience says otherwise. I don't doubt it has occurred, but I believe it was operator error and the stories have been greatly exaggerated, thus the term Urban Legend. I also don't doubt Ford made a training video, but that doesn't make the legend true.

I'm not too young to remember the 90's (maybe too old), but I base my beliefs on real world experience, not rumors tossed around on the 'net.
My own personal experience with them began in 1986- in a variety of automotive/high hp applications. In 1997 my dealer installed a K&N oem replacement filter (new- out of the box) as part of the Sport performance package from Ford- The quantity of oil was as is from K&N and contaminated 3 MAF units in less than 1 month each- I suggested the Wix HP unit and they used it. In 1998, Ford, GM, Dodge all had bulletins regarding this and as of 2 years ago it is even part of the MSE core & refresher training. Somtimes ammonia can be used to clean the wire but is typically unsuccessful....Even if the oil does not affect the e-components of the intake (including the new ones that are coated), the very fine oil particulates coat the walls of the intake and allow fine dirt/carbon particulates to build up faster than should be considered normal.

The primary item on my side of the fence for myself is there are better flowing filters with better cleaning capabilities and flow charateristics (post filter) than K&N for a fraction of the price- such as Wix HP series (which is used extensively in NASCAR.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:05 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
used 'em on everything i've owned with a carb till now , and after buying the first late model ford i wanna actually play with , a 95 lx v8 bird , and reading and seeing the end results of some peep's issues with 'em well .... i'm just gonna use a wix seeing as they flow real dain close to the k&n and not have to worry about it . not saying it's a bad product , i just don't want to be one of the ones who it bites in the **** ...........

Old 06-14-2010, 11:03 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
350,000 miles combined on two F 150s. Each got a K&N at first filter change. Never a problem.
Matter of fact, I just washed the current truck filter yesterday.
199,500 miles on the truck. I took special note to look in the intake plenum.
Still spotless after all those miles.
Oiled media filters work. And work very well.

At least for me.

edit to add: run them on quite a number of motorcycles too.
Work just as well there.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:02 PM
RossOlson
New User
Originally Posted by Mustang6147
How many people are having, or have had problems with K & N filters.... Or any Oiled filter element brand...

I am asking for actual issue's
Not I know a guy who has a brothers cousin, who blamed K&N for his 300000 mile MAF for going out... Which there is alot of.

It seems, that there are issue's caused from over oiling... Owner error if you will... But it is also Human nature, to blame for misfortunes...as well as a statement to ones character...

I wll say, I have posed this questions on many sites, my findings will be posted at the end...
Thanks

I had a K&N in a camaro and truck I had for years, no problems. Than I ran into this:

Info on K&N

In the chart above it’s important to note the different test durations for each filter. The AC Delco filter test ran for 60 minutes before exceeding the restriction limit while the AMSOIL and K&N tests each ran for 20 and 24 minutes respectively before reaching max restriction. In 60 minutes the AC Filter accumulated 574gms of dirt and passed only 0.4gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms. Compared to the AC air filter, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt."

Old 06-23-2010, 03:18 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Well i think highperformance air filters don't filter as good as stock filters , but a highperformance motor needs the air so you have to give up a little , thats just the nature of the beast...JMO...this thread may never die.....Lew

Quick Reply: K & N Filters,