General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Snake

Old 09-02-2009, 05:20 PM
hoosierbaby64
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snake

Okay so I am posting on FTE about my buddy and life long pal Traxx. I look across my office as something catches my eye. On my office window sill I see something move. I get up and I see the body move. HB wets her pants, cant breathe, is shaking crying and does all she can think of cries out "snake" but no words come out. The snake is looking at her. I am sure he has just peed his scales. I took my cell phone out slowly and took pic and half frozen with fear I sent an SOS to my son in law who is in Georgia, a few cowboy buddies in Arizona and Nevada. Holland in Texas, My daughter Candace in Illinois.......notice a trend? NO ONE WHO CAN ACTUALLY SAVE ME!!!!!!!!!
I cant call 911 for this or can I? It is an emergency. I have a snake and wet pants. After what seems like an hour of crying and unable to move and whispering over and over "snake, snake" my phone rings, It is my cowboy buddy Dan. He says to go get help from someone staying here. What a concept. He stays on the phone with me and I back away slowly. The snake just stares and I am more scared than ever.

I get out of the motel, wet britches, tears a flowing and knock on Davey the mushroom hunters door. He answers and I fall into his arms and tell him what happened. He comes up to office and says not good place for it and the sucker was not happy with Davey. Finally the score was Davey one and Snake zero. Well unless you count making a 6' tall moose wizz her pants then he scored a point but since he didnt get to share the glory of said point it does not count.

Davey went through my office and found no more.A thorough search of apartment turns up nada. Everything is boxed up so there is really no place for the little suckers to hide but I'm taking no chances. I have showered put on clean pants and my chain saw leather Gaters and steel toes.

By the way in case you didn't notice...I am scared to death of snakes. and yes i shared the fact I wet my britches and that is embarrassing. So go easy on me.

Attached Images    
Old 09-02-2009, 05:24 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Everyone has their weak spot. If my wife sees a spider, she wants to move.

Mine is bees. It probably has something to do with the fact that I woke up one autumn morning at the age of 12 or so to find they had chewed through drywall in an attempt to escape from the attic my father sealed them into. I woke up to a buzzing noise as roughly 1000 bees were crawling all over my bedroom window.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:44 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You probably wouldn't like it here. We have lots of rattlesnakes. I killed one last week that measured 64" long and had 12 rattles! They don't come near the house tho................Yet!

The high school kids drive around at night running over the ones that crawl onto the warm asphalt! Fun times........

Old 09-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

Snakes are not my favorite either.............bitten by BIG rattlesnake in 1987. Most terrifying event in my life.............nightmares for over a year. 3 days in ICU, 3 more in the hospital. It was under a truck cap I had resting on 4x4 boards. When I lifted the cap up, instantly the snake coiled and jumped towards my face. I put my left arm up to block the snake and he bit me above the wrist. Instantly I stood up, bringing the snake with me and he wrapped around my arm with the rattles hitting my face! I had to unwrap him while he is pumping venom into me. I killed it, drove down the road to a friend's house and passed out. Luckily, he was the local Police Chief and drove me to the hospital in the police car. Anyone who tells you to remain calm is out of their minds............

Old 09-02-2009, 06:23 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Snakes are FAST. You were very lucky to get your arm up in time. You must have some fast reflexes!

Old 09-02-2009, 06:46 PM
jade79
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had a black rat snake (non poisionous) living in my shed for years, he's a little over 5ft long now, and I see a fresh skin shed in there every year. One day I was cutting grass under a tree with the push mower in the front yard. I bumped my head on something firm and rubbery as I passed under it. As I thought "that was an awfully soft limb" I turned around to see him hanging from the limb. If I see him in the yard or in the shed, I just step over him and go on about my business, as he usually never seems to be threatened by me. Now If I see any around the house that seem aggressive or poisionous (copperhead) I kill them and toss them in the woods. I've never had any mice in my house, and I can probably attribute it to him residing in my shed and patrolling the grounds.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:55 PM
weadjust
Senior User
My mom taught me as a young boy that there is only one kinda snake "The copperheaded water rattler" and to kill them all. She was a snake killing machine with a hoe in hand.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Most snakes are like Jade's black snake. They do more good than harm. Of course most people don't worry about what kind they are and unfortunately kill first and ask questions later. I have killed a lot of rattlers, cottonmouths (mocasins,) and copperheads but those are the only poisonous ones that I have seen in the wild. Black snakes, king snakes, racers and garter snakes are all common and beneficial in keeping down populations of varmits, (varmints,) and vermin. But I do admit to having been scared silly by the sudden appearance of a harmless snake.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:33 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was hiking in some hills and may have been running at some point, anyways a snake popped out of a hole near me and was moving away from me, but my immediate reaction was to stomp on it and that is what I did. I still feel bad for doing that but it was just the first thing that happened. Only time I've been afraid when I saw a snake. I find them to be pretty amazing creatures.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:03 AM
Gottaford
Elder User
Most of this thread makes me very sad.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:42 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Snakes are far from my favs, but I have heard that ordinary rattlesmake bites aren't normally all that serious -- at least not the ones in MN. Never want to find out. I might need fresh clothes at the least.

Have a few experiences to share

When I was in the service in AZ, some morons caught a rattler and put it in a large jar. I was sleeping in my room, and they wanted to wake me up and show me. Fortunately, my roomie convinced them that it might be a bad idea -- what if I jumped up and broke the jar!

When I was overseas other morons used to chase down snakes while wearing shower clogs.

But the best story was when my daughter was little. She was coming into the basement from the garage, and spotted a garter snake. Slammed the door on him. I went down and disposed of 'them' ( one on each side of the door!)

BTW, my daughter's in her 30's now and still a little jumpy. She saw a mouse once and leapt onto the kitchen table -- impressive

Old 09-03-2009, 07:04 AM
hoosierbaby64
Postmaster
I dont care if it was a rubber play snake its demise was imminent.
I would have been worse had it been a scorpion. But the snake was bad enough.
DNR came this morning and picked him up from Davey. He said he should not be around these parts at all. He thinks someone brought him here intentionally and he escaped or he was a stowaway under vehicle because he should only be in northern IN. Doesn't matter to me I cannot nor will not knowingly reside with a snake. (well okay im guilty of that crime but they were two legged variety)

Old 09-03-2009, 10:30 AM
modar
Elder User
I dont like spiders snakes.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:00 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
This may help explain why you are frightened; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...f-spiders.html
Mr Rakison, whose findings were reported in the New Scientist, believes that females were predisposed to fear spiders and snakes because their bites presented a special danger to prehistoric women,

Old 09-03-2009, 06:01 PM
hoosierbaby64
Postmaster
Now I have no fear of spiders. Used raise tarantulas. I hate snakes with a passion. Now here is todays drama...no long story cause Ill get creeped again. But here is how my day went....i didnt have gaters attched all the way and was using chain saw at base of mountain..... Suddenly i had a friend. My EKG went quite well. His didnt.

Attached Images   

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Snake