Sponsored by: Moser

Fuel Injection Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Mike's 77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Injection Conversion?

Has anyone converted to fuel injection? I've seen a kit made by Holley for about 1200 in Summit, is this conversion beneficial? I've heard it improves throttle response and fuel economy, but decreases horsepower. Is this true? How hard is this conversion to do? Is it something that requires professional installation? And is it worth it to convert from carb to FI? Not sure if I'll do the conversion sometime down the road, But I'd like to find out some more info and what everyone's opinions are on it?

Old 09-02-2009, 04:26 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
only my opinion here but I dont see where the cost of such a unit would be so benificial that you would ever see a return.
Ive tried the pro-jection kit and now run a Demon carb again. Just could not work out the bugs and ever get the calibration right. They sent me several firmware upgrades and tried to help me out, but it did not provide the benifits that I was expecting.
Matter of fact, the Demon has better throttle respons than that injection system ever did.
Mileage, ehhh, that could go either way. Darn thing ran so rich then so lean that I never know where to set a baseline for mileage.

Not wuite worh the investment for me. I can tune carbs, and I am decent with injection. I run a GM style system now, and except for a couple of bugs, I have few complaints, but that Pro-jection system was never a good one for me.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Redneckryder
Tuned
i have heard that if you are going extreme angles, go injected, but that is the only positive i have heard about.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 09-02-2009, 06:18 PM
jade79
Laughing Gas
I've been battling with this decision myself for a while. I did a lot of research and even bought a conversion kit. I was going to do the conversion about a month ago, but just could'nt bring myself to do it. The old 2bbl carb was simple and nearly trouble free for 30 years and almost 300K miles, so I just swapped it for a 4bbl a buddy gave my off his Mustang. I have a roller cam 5.0 in the corner of the garage I'll swap in when this motor goes, so I might wait install it then.

Here's a few links to make you decision just a little more difficult

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...250_Truck.html

http://www.mass-floefi.com/

http://www.retrotekspeed.com/product...ion-i-systems/

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...pf_intro.shtml

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection...on=show_detail

Old 09-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Q's 86
Freshman User
dude get a 4bbl and once i figure mine out ill help you out.. im pretty close with mine and it hasnt been hard. i think part of the problem is timing with mine... which also seems to be a problem with yours so lets get our old ones runnin!!!

Old 09-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Mike's 77
Senior User
Originally Posted by Q's 86
dude get a 4bbl and once i figure mine out ill help you out.. im pretty close with mine and it hasnt been hard. i think part of the problem is timing with mine... which also seems to be a problem with yours so lets get our old ones runnin!!!
Wanna help rebuild the 2bbl I have on it now sometime this week? I think the power valve is blown and it's been runnin real rich lately. I could use your carb expertise!

Old 09-03-2009, 12:08 AM
myoldfords
5th Wheeling
im just finishing up my efi conversion, i did it mostly for driveability and the overdrive trans. I went with the factory ecm, 460 efi motor, and e4od. I have not heard very many good things about the aftermarket injection systems. Just my opinion, i hate carbs.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:51 AM
1977f250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been thinking about putting a GM TBI and the GM 1227747 computer on my 77 F250 4x4 with a 69 460 in it. Very similar to the Howell kit but from junk yard parts. I would also use a GM 8 pin control module and let the computer control the druaspark distributor. Howell kits control fuel only. I have made up a couple systems for a Jeep 258 and they work really well. Jeep used the Ford control module and the duraspark distributor also and real easy to convert it to the 8 pin GM control module and let the computer control the timing .I have a running system on a Jeep 258 for under 200.00. You are not going to get a lot of power from this BUT you will get instant starts, smooth idle at any alatuide, Its ability to adjust air/fuel and timing on the fly, and may, or may not get +1-2 mpg at best on a 258 Jeep motor. It is a really simple system and very easy to adapt to the motors needs as the 1227747 ECM has the ability to learn and adapt new maps to better understand the engines needs, and with the Cal-pack in it, it can go into open loop mode if a sensor goes wild and will go into limp home mode. So I have really been thinking of trying it on my Ford. It is just a hobby for me but not all computer controlled things are bad.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 1977f250
I have been thinking about putting a GM TBI and the GM 1227747 computer on my 77 F250 4x4 with a 69 460 in it. <snip> I have made up a couple systems for a Jeep 258 and they work really well. <snip>
I've read of people doing this to AMC's and had thought about doing this to one of my Eagle's back in the day (I used to be on the AMC-List) - as I recall, people were adapting a Pontiac TBI system over to the 258 fairly easily - is this the same thing you're talking about?

Old 09-03-2009, 01:29 PM
1977f250
Elder User
Yes but the 4.3 V6 chips works realy well with the 4.2 258

Old 09-03-2009, 02:58 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1977f250
I have been thinking about putting a GM TBI and the GM 1227747 computer on my 77 F250 4x4 with a 69 460 in it. Very similar to the Howell kit but from junk yard parts. I would also use a GM 8 pin control module and let the computer control the druaspark distributor. Howell kits control fuel only. I have made up a couple systems for a Jeep 258 and they work really well. Jeep used the Ford control module and the duraspark distributor also and real easy to convert it to the 8 pin GM control module and let the computer control the timing .I have a running system on a Jeep 258 for under 200.00. You are not going to get a lot of power from this BUT you will get instant starts, smooth idle at any alatuide, Its ability to adjust air/fuel and timing on the fly, and may, or may not get +1-2 mpg at best on a 258 Jeep motor. It is a really simple system and very easy to adapt to the motors needs as the 1227747 ECM has the ability to learn and adapt new maps to better understand the engines needs, and with the Cal-pack in it, it can go into open loop mode if a sensor goes wild and will go into limp home mode. So I have really been thinking of trying it on my Ford. It is just a hobby for me but not all computer controlled things are bad.

Thats is actually a fantastic idea. Injection has many advantages and for this small investment is well worth the effort. This is probably a much better alternative to the projection system. It is entirely possible that the aftermarket injection system has its place, but it does not seem to be all that great in as many applications.
The GM conversion has been done with success and they work well.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Jeremy LeLacheur
Junior User
To get the true advantages of EFI you have to go with a mass air multiport fuel injection setup in my opinion. Throttle response and fuel mileage are much improved as well as easy startups. Because the mass air systems basically read how much air is going into the engine and read the exhaust to determine how much fuel to release from the injectors. There is obviously alot more than that going on but thats the just of it. You can change alot of the internal components of the engine without the need to reprogram the computer and thats what makes the mass air systems better than the speed density setups. I think a well tuned EFI system speaks for itself compared to carbs. I am doing a few of these right now, the junkyard parts route for a 302 in an early bronco and a complete system from MassFlo EFI for a 500+hp FE427 in my dads 61 Sunliner. Alot of people seem scared to dig into these swaps but with all the websites available even a guy like me can figure it out!

Old 09-03-2009, 08:01 PM
garypettengill
Laughing Gas
I did it to my 400 and I love it. The drivability is fantastic.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:00 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm looking into adding the megasquirt system onto the 351w with a TBI style setup. I have not personally run the stuff, but my uncle has on a few cars and seems to be very pleased with it.

I have also seen a few other guys on the desert racing type forums that I am on that love the setup too.

Anybody here looked into one of these?

Quick Reply: Fuel Injection Conversion?