6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis
Old 11-17-2014, 05:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Blend door actuator replacement. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:20 AM
sawtooth
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blend door actuator replacement. Help!

I've order a new blend door actuator as the current one is making noise and not balacing the air temp correctly between driver and passager side of the cab. Anyway, the part is only $27 but there is one screw in the back that I cannot reach. Anyone replaced one of these in a 2008 and if so any ideas on the best way to replace this part? I hate to take it too the dealer as they will probably tear the dash appart and i'll have to return it to stock.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:04 AM
ab257z
Senior User
Infamous blend door

Did Ford use the same design on the Super duties? I just replaced on on a '97 E150, had to snap off the housing to get that last screw without taking the dashboard apart. There are a lot of blend door posts on the other forums.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:46 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
the actuator itself has a snap type housing. However, if i'm not sure this would work but i'll get back under there to see. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:18 AM
ab257z
Senior User
oh snap

What i meant was I had to rip the housing away from the last screw and snap the plastic off. Not pretty, but the E150 was 12 years old at the time.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sawtooth
I've order a new blend door actuator as the current one is making noise and not balancing the air temp correctly between driver and passenger side of the cab. Anyway, the part is only $27 but there is one screw in the back that I cannot reach. Anyone replaced one of these in a 2008 and if so any ideas on the best way to replace this part? I hate to take it too the dealer as they will probably tear the dash apart and I'll have to return it to stock.

This depends on whether or not you have dual zone temperature control. If you do there are two blend doors, one located behind the glove box area and the actuator can be removed using the appropriate combination of tools to access all of the fasteners. The drivers side actuator is located on top of the air plenum and requires removal of the dash to access it. Also, how did you determine which actuator was bad? Either one could cause variations in temperature control depending on what mode of operation the EATC is set at.

The problem with these actuators is that the position sensor begins to send erratic signals to the EATC head which then incorrectly positions the blend door. The best way to diagnose this is to use a scan tool capable of monitoring the position sensor signals from both actuators.

Good Luck!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:26 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ford_Doctor
This depends on whether or not you have dual zone temperature control. If you do there are two blend doors, one located behind the glove box area and the actuator can be removed using the appropriate combination of tools to access all of the fasteners. The drivers side actuator is located on top of the air plenum and requires removal of the dash to access it. Also, how did you determine which actuator was bad? Either one could cause variations in temperature control depending on what mode of operation the EATC is set at.

The problem with these actuators is that the position sensor begins to send erratic signals to the EATC head which then incorrectly positions the blend door. The best way to diagnose this is to use a scan tool capable of monitoring the position sensor signals from both actuators.

Good Luck!

Thanks Keith for the information. Unfortunatly its going to be the drivers one thats bad. I'm assuming this as its making an aweful sound like headphones connected to a radio that are turned up but laying a few feet from you. I can press on it and the sound goes away for a bit then returns. Also, air temp is inconsistent for driver and passanger even if its set to single zone. Dual zone doen'st seem to work correctly either. At times it works perfect and other times the temp is hot or cold. I'll let the dealer do the dash tear out but i'm sick this has to be done as i'm sure there will be some rattles that result from this repair. What are your thoughts on this type repair? Am I overlly worried about this?

thank you,

Old 09-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't worry about rattles. A 2008 Ford is not like "your Father's Ford." It has been years since I have seen a repair order showing a squeak or rattle concern on it. Having removed several of these instrument panels I can tell you that they are well put together and don't rattle after being removed. It is a fairly simple procedure.

Relax! It's really nothing to get sick about.

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Highalnder
New User
Ford Doctor

Ford Doctor,
I posted the following about a week ago, but it got buried. I thought I would see if you might have any advise. The dealership did say they were going to bring in a Ford Tech Advisor. When I don't know.
Thanks.

I have a 2008 F250 Lariat with the dual climate controls. When set on AUTO it blows hot air out the passenger side. When set on DUAL it blows hot air out the passenger side unless it is set on 60 degrees.

I have taken it to Ford three times. The first time they replaced a blend door actuator. Did not fix it.

The second time they could not replicate so they did nothing.

Today they replaced the control panel. Did not fix it.

I am tired of taking my truck in and leaving two days and not getting a fix.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing my problem.

Thanks.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:22 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ford_Doctor
I wouldn't worry about rattles. A 2008 Ford is not like "your Father's Ford." It has been years since I have seen a repair order showing a squeak or rattle concern on it. Having removed several of these instrument panels I can tell you that they are well put together and don't rattle after being removed. It is a fairly simple procedure.

Relax! It's really nothing to get sick about.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for the info so going to take her in for repair.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:14 PM
armygrnt
New User
blend door actuator

i have an 05 ford f-150 with a single climate zone, nothing digitel or anything. how do i replace it? is there a website with picures or video on how to do this job? ive heard horror stories. please help

Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 PM
rblaine9000
Senior User
Originally Posted by Highalnder
Ford Doctor,
I posted the following about a week ago, but it got buried. I thought I would see if you might have any advise. The dealership did say they were going to bring in a Ford Tech Advisor. When I don't know.
Thanks.

I have a 2008 F250 Lariat with the dual climate controls. When set on AUTO it blows hot air out the passenger side. When set on DUAL it blows hot air out the passenger side unless it is set on 60 degrees.

I have taken it to Ford three times. The first time they replaced a blend door actuator. Did not fix it.

The second time they could not replicate so they did nothing.

Today they replaced the control panel. Did not fix it.

I am tired of taking my truck in and leaving two days and not getting a fix.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing my problem.

Thanks.
2008 f-250 psd 4 door lariat
I'm having the same issues, has there been any findings or solutions to these issues?n thanks in advance. p.s. two days ago put the truck on heat and no heat?? I think blend doors are stuck? I have dual climate as well.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:13 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
There's a TSB on this
09-12-15*** LARGE TEMPERATURE DIFFERENCES - BUILD BEFORE 11/6/2008

and it involves removing the dash! The driver side involves messing with the A/C also. So hopefully you're still under warranty!

I ultimately got both of my doors replaced on 5 separate dealer visits. What a hassle. I finally have quiet in my truck!

First dealer couldn't fix my driver side door since they couldn't duplicate it after 2 visits. 2nd dealer got approval based on a phone video I took 150miles before my 3/36 warranty expired. Talk about scraping by.... In the meantime, I got lucky and was able to log the door moving erratically with my AutoEnginuity scanner. The dealer happily took my printout and excel dump and stapled it to the repair order as supporting evidence
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...enginuity.html

Old 04-17-2012, 12:31 AM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Part numbers for both doors, anyone?

Im gonna do this fix soon, gotta order parts first!