1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Productive Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Tumblindyce
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Productive Weekend

I got my alternator swapped in to replace the old generator, had my carb rebuilt and my radiator repaired this weekend. My buddy's dad helped me out (or should I say I helped him out). We wound up using a voltage regulator for a 1965 F100 to match the alternator. The system is charging now. My truck was running dangerously hot since I bought it several months back, so hot that I was afraid to drive it. I called a local radiator shop and the guy there said he could put a heavy duty core in it. I took it to him and he took it in the back and pressure tested it. When he came back out, he told me there were 3 small leaks and that he would rod it out for a lot less that recoring it. He told me that I have the heavy duty core and that I really don't need a shroud, which was another one of my concerns. He did advise me to get a fan that pulls more air that the stock 4-blade fan though and to run a 160 degree thermostat (I live in the desert). I picked the radiator up the next day and he said it was about 70% clogged!! He said, "Put it back in and you'll be happy". We did and the truck is running nice and cool now! What a relief! The new 7-blade flex fan really pulls a lot of air...could've gone electric, but would need a 2 5/8" thick fan and they're a lot more expensive than the flex fan.

My freind's dad had the carb rebuilt in about an hour ($23 rebuild kit from Autozone). It made a HUGE difference! I used to have to fiddle with the choke when I came to a stop sign to keep from stalling out--no more of that--it idles pefectly now and is a lot more responsive. Needless to say, I'm a happy man...thanks for the wiring diagrams...I'm sure I'll have LOTS more questions for you Ford truck gurus...there's much left to be done...

Old 09-02-2009, 12:36 AM
gdgerland
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great! If the 223 is anything like the 300, it should run cool all the time with a good radiator. With no thermostat, my 300 hardly gets off the cold mark in 100 degree weather.

Gil

Old 09-02-2009, 06:34 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks great.. I will be doing the alternaor thing soon. id my rediator awhile back, but the truck is still in rebuild

JimG 1098