Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! lifting truck! Cant decide which lift!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:03 PM
19mfn96
Senior User
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
HELP! lifting truck! Cant decide which lift!

I have a 96 ford f250 gas 7.5 extended cab. all stock. wanting to put a lift on it but dont know which one to go with.I'd like to go 4" but everybody tells me that I'll have to put a new pit arm on for allighment.
would I need a arm for a 2.5" lift?
I also hear that I will have to use shims. ???
I know that these are easy answers for some of you, but
I really need help here.
which is the least enexpensive lift and where to get it.
thanks

Old 09-01-2009, 09:24 PM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can level your truck out with a 2.5in lift in the front and then you have to use camber bushings to get your camber back

Old 09-01-2009, 09:42 PM
19mfn96
Senior User
I can do that with out an arm?
it wont hurt the allignment?

Old 09-01-2009, 10:01 PM
19mfn96
Senior User
oh yea, its a 4x4!

Old 09-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Meeks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the worry about a new pitman arm? It should come with the lift if it needs it.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Meeks
Senior User
Oh and remember don't just skip out on quality for a low price. A crappy lift will cause a rougher ride and uneven tire wear.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 PM
472SCJ
Freshman User
skyjacker softride

I would have to ask myself is it worth spending the time any money for lifting only 2.5",...unless your trying to level something out,..if your considering a lift ,why not make it a noticeable difference...your truck with a 4" lift would set it up very nicely,....of course this all depends on your personal taste and money you have to spend,....I personally would recommend a lift from the Skyjacker Softride Systems,front springs,rear springs,I would stay away from rear blocks if money provides me to do so,and never install blocks under springs in the front...good luck to you

Old 09-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Meeks
Senior User
Originally Posted by 472SCJ
I would have to ask myself is it worth spending the time any money for lifting only 2.5",...unless your trying to level something out,..if your considering a lift ,why not make it a noticeable difference...your truck with a 4" lift would set it up very nicely,....
I would def agree. If your wanting the look you will wish you got the four in the end.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:43 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would go with at least 4inch or you'll wish you would have gone higher you'll need a pitman arm may have to order it seperate but it's not really a big deal to swap just can be a pain to get the old one off. i agree on go skyjacker its great for our years f series trucks. the final decision you have to make is if you want to keep your ttb (independent front) or go tio a solid axle i went with keeping ttb because it isnt so bad with just a 4 inch as far as changing the geometry and its not gonna see mostly off-road and mud its still daily driver/work truck

Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Meeks
Senior User
You can rent a pitman arm remover from Auto Zone I believe but you can take a sledge hammer and hit the pitman arm where it goes on the shaft semi-aggressively and it will usually shake it down enough to fall off. I've been lucky enough to get them off in one hit.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:58 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
all good info here man listen to these guys

when it comes to lifting you truly do get what you pay for... so basically do it right and choose either BDS, superlift, or skyjacker

BDS systems have the best warranty of all and have the best or at least arguably the best ride of all lift kits, they are also the most expensive, this is what i used on my 95...

skyjacker and superlift also make good lift kits with great ride, they are cheaper but do not offer the same warranty BDS does...

i have not heard many good things from pro-comp lift kits, or tuff country but IMO tuff country is basically a repackaged rough county lift

ive been told this and i believe it, no matter what anyone tells you do not run rough country, they have been good for a few guys but horrible for others, very hit and miss, a questionable lift is not something you want in your suspension, and there is virtually no warranty

i WOULD NOT recommend the use of a body lift for a truck that ever gets locked in 4x4, BLs are okay to clear bigger tires but i would not personally run one, there is simply too much stress on the body mounts when 3" of height are added to them, and in a head on wreck the body can come clear off the frame

DO NOT EVER use front axle blocks...rear axle blocks can be okay if they do not get too tall and DO NOT stack blocks...one is too many IMO, a 4" lift rear spring and a 6" rear spring are pretty much the same price, buy the 6" and remove the factory block all together

a 4" lift will require: brake lines, pitman arm, shocks, and drop brackets for the axle itself and the rad arms i believe

Old 09-02-2009, 08:10 AM
cmcolfax
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 9.ford.5
all good info here man listen to these guys

when it comes to lifting you truly do get what you pay for... so basically do it right and choose either BDS, superlift, or skyjacker

BDS systems have the best warranty of all and have the best or at least arguably the best ride of all lift kits, they are also the most expensive, this is what i used on my 95...

skyjacker and superlift also make good lift kits with great ride, they are cheaper but do not offer the same warranty BDS does...

i have not heard many good things from pro-comp lift kits, or tuff country but IMO tuff country is basically a repackaged rough county lift

ive been told this and i believe it, no matter what anyone tells you do not run rough country, they have been good for a few guys but horrible for others, very hit and miss, a questionable lift is not something you want in your suspension, and there is virtually no warranty
To back up what he said... in ten years of building, lifting, modding and wheeling Jeeps... I have told many newb's the same exact thing.

The only other lift I would consider is Rubicon Express. I know they are pricey for Jeeps... so assume the same for Fords.

Good luck.

-cmc-

Old 09-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
How high do you want to go? What size tire do you want to run? These are some of the questions you should be asking yourself.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Ohio Ford Farm
Elder User
I like Super lift kits myself. I have installed a handful of them over the years. Have not bought one in a while. Do they still offer a cheaper and more expensive kits? Be sure to fully read and compare the kits. Make sure they contain everything you will need. As hit on here. 4 inch kits will need longer brake lines, shocks, pitman arm. Does the kit include them or do you have to buy on top of the kit?

Pitman arms are not a big deal. If you feel very strong about lowered pitman arms there are steering kits that use the stock arm. These cost more so keep that in mind.

Go buy a 4wheel mag and look at all the adds for lift kits and get a feel for what all is included in the kits and prices. Once you think you have your kit picked out ask here what people think. After all we do not work for them we just install and run them and can give you a no BS idea if its a good or bad kit and what to look for installing the kit.

Last thing I have to add here. Keep in mind its your life, everyone who will ever ride in the truck, and everyone who will ever drive, walk, ride a bike next to or near the truck. DO NOT skimp or cut corners on buying, or installing a lift kit.

Read the instructions at-least twice before you start and if they tell you to re-tighten something every so often please do. I know I do and find stuff just a little loose from time to time. So be safe

Old 09-02-2009, 10:30 AM
19mfn96
Senior User
Thanks guys!
I'll look into the 4" lifts for sure.
Also checking the ad ons

Quick Reply: HELP! lifting truck! Cant decide which lift!