1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

How much travel distance should a clutch slave throwout bearing move?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 02:59 PM
fordopie
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much travel distance should a clutch slave throwout bearing move?

I recently replaced my transmission in my 1994 Ranger. I also replaced the clutch slave and throwout bearing and also the flywheel. Right now I can hardly shift into any gear when the engine is on, but can shift when engine is off. I read all the posts I could find here and the given diagnosis is that the clutch is not dis-engaging. I bled the clutch lines three times per the book. I looked into the transmission inspection port and measured the TO bearing travel distance at 5/16 inch. This does not seem to be enough travel to press on the clutch "finger springs" sufficiently to dis-enage.

Question: What is the proper travel distance for the TO bearing to move when pedal goes from full up to full down?

By measuring the distance from the installed TO bearing to the slave cylinder base with the clutch pedal out, and comparing it to my old slave unit, I have determined that the 5/16 inch travel is all the poor slave cylinder has left to move. That would seem to mean that either the new pressure plates or the new flywheel were thinner than the OEM versions and thus the clutch fingers are too far away from the TO bearing for the TO bearing to be able to push out enough. Ever heard of that problem?

Hope to hear from those of you who may have heard a similar story before or had a similar situation.
Thanks.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:08 PM
fordopie
Freshman User
I forgot to mention that when I finally can pull the shifter into 1st or second gear, the new clutch engages strongly and the truck spins rubber when the clutch pedal is only 1 inch off of the floor. Isn't this another indication that the TO bearing is not being pushed far enough out so as to disengage the clutch properly?

Old 09-01-2009, 03:41 PM
fordopie
Freshman User
Excuse the self-replies, but posting my question gets me thinking hard and looking on the web. I hope whatever answer found here will help others and that is the reason for the forum here I trust.

I just measured my old slave unit and found the maximum travel it has is 1 1/16 inches.

The master clutch cylinder will provide hydraulic pressure enough to make ____ " of slave stroke travel.

The pressure plate requires .____" - .____" of travel to release the clutch.

(The numbers for those missing blanks would helpful in my investigation. The Ford Ranger manual only uses the term: "Look for substantial movement in the TO bearing movement.")

This site gives an answer (#4) that if the clutch drive plate is installed backwards, shifting will be very difficult: perfectionclutch.com

Old 09-01-2009, 06:47 PM
fordopie
Freshman User
You can consider this question closed. I hope that a few ideas were presented that may help someone else. As for my problem, it was solved by this POST. Thanks CADRIVER for the post.

I was the poor design of the Ranger master clutch cylinder that is tilted up at the end and air can never get out unless you remove it from the firewall!!!! I did that and now have my clutch working again. I still do not know the travel distance officially.... if you find it somewhere, please post it. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:48 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The distance between the throw out bearing and the clutch fingers in a slave clyinder type system is "0" they run in contact all the time. I you don't believe it pull the inspection plug on the bell housing and watch it.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:56 AM
fordopie
Freshman User
wtroger,
thanks, now could you go back down under there and measure the distance traveled of the TO bearing as someone pushes the pedal all the way down? Thanks.