Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Water to Air intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Firebird375
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water to Air intercooler?

I am wanting to get my exhaust temps down(most of my drive is a 5-8% grade) and maybe run a little more boost(10PSI currently). I've looked at installing an air-air intercooler, but a water-air looks like it could be much easier. Looking at the hardware, I think I could find room and clock the turbo to a degree to run the pipe. My biggest question, is there any alternative to the stock "intake hat"? Something maybe lower profile or a lower angle to accept the the intake pipe?

Has anyone had any experience with this? Its fairly inexpensive and is proven to have great results in gassers. Let me know your thoughts guys.

Here is a generic kit:
http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...05ead248cde36d

Old 09-01-2009, 01:34 PM
timothyr
Senior User
I have a lot of experience with turbo gas engines, and am learning about turbo diesels....Your thinking is 100% correct as far as reducing egt....the cooler your incoming air, the cooler it will be when it comes out. As far as the product you were looking at, my biggest concern would be the core size. From looking at it i would am not sure it would be able to keep up with the overall cfm at full boost....although at that price I would be very tempted to try it as you wont hurt anything.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Firebird375
Freshman User
Yeah, I'd like to know how many cfm they flow.

Any one know of anything that can be used to substitute the "intake hat" from the factory turbo systems to make running the charge pipe any easier? This looks like it would be easy to do, you could place it right where the stock air filter box is(providing that you make a new intake that goes to the turbo), run a small section of pipe from the turbo(clocked so the outlet is facing the passenger side) to the intercooler, then from the other side into the intake. 3-4 feet at most of pipe then the coolant lines to the easily mounted radiator and you are set. Any other ideas? Problems? Experience?

Seems much easier than an air-air setup for fabrication, and providing that you have an intercooler that flows the correct amount, would yield much better gains.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:20 PM
timothyr
Senior User
i think your ideas are right on, just make sure you keep a good eye on the quality of the IC itself....keep in mind if one of the water passages fail its going to pump your coolant/water/whatever directly into your intake.

This is just a personal preference (and keep in mind everyone has an opinion) I typically run an air to air unit in my gas applications along with some sort of injected cooling (alcohol, methenol, water, even NOS in small amounts). Just to give you a rough idea, with water alone (no IC) i will usually see a 70~120* temp drop depending on boost and ambient temps. In my racing aps using NOS or propane I have seen my charge temps (15~20psi) at or just above ambient....I am not sure how a diesel would react to this, but as soon as I have the free time I will be finding out.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:53 PM
whiskeyrichard
Senior User
If you are looking at ease of installation, you may want to check out 'chemical intercooling' as well.

http://www.snowperformance.net/

Those guys have been around for a while. I almost put one of these systems in my 97 a few years back.

Russ

Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 AM
timothyr
Senior User
Snow makes some cool stuff....before I got into building my own systems I bought one of theirs. Personally I think the MPG max is a bit overkill (especially for the $$$). Just from the little research I have done, I would be looking at the stage 1 kit. Its almost half the price, and will support up to 25PSI. Keep in minf the biggest thing to look for when buying an alt injection system is both the pump, the nozzle and checkvalves.
The nozzle needs to be able to atomise whatever it is spraying in....and do it while under the pressure of the turbo. The pump needs to be able to "out-push" your turbo. If your putting out 15PSI of boost, the nozzel is going to have 15PSI of pressure trying to back feed it, If you have a 10PSI pump you just built a 5PSI leak....this is where the check valves come in....it keeps the nozzle closed until there is positive pressure on the injection line.

Snow makes some good stuff, but there are other systems out there as well that can be had for cheaper if you are willing to do a little fab work (and you will probably have to anyway seeing as no one makes an IDI bolt on)

Old 09-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As far as an intake hat goes, I have seen some non turbo guys using an AFE intake kit for a gas 5.2/5.9 dodge. It's basically an intake hat with a tube and an airfilter. I think you have to redrill something to get it to fit though. The only other thing is I dont know what it's made of so I'm not sure how it would handle boost.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Are you sure you want low profile?

Here is a system that I don't remember who made, the intake hat was much higher to get clearance for the pipes.

Once everything was back together you can see why higher is required.

That intercooler was either ATS or Hypermax I am thinking.

ATS no longer has IDI intercoolers.

As for water/methanol injection, given the head to piston clearnace and the small combustion chamber volume, a stuck switch on the water injection pump can spell disaster.
About 30cc of water in the cylinder is enough for hydrolock.
Hydrolock on a running engine means broken crank, connecting rod, piston or head bolts.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:18 AM
timothyr
Senior User
Just as an FYI, Dave is 100% correct as far as the hydrolock issues. the way I do all of my systems is to use a pressure switch (pump can only get power when boost is present), an in-dash arm/cut-off switch, a dash light fed off the same power line as the pump so i can see when its actually running and a charge temp gauge. Its still not 100% fool proof, but at least if a problem does start to occur I stand half a chance of avoiding a full engine replacement.