Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2009, 07:20 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

EHC112 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ground Strap- Where does it go?

I replaced the batter on my '95 F250 with a 351. Ran and started fine before, now it will not start. all of the accessories and everything work fine, fuel pump kicks on, but nothing when I turn the key, not even a click. I checked the starter solenoid on the fender wall, and thats putting out plenty of voltage under load to fire the starter. I checked the relays and fuses, and those are also good. I did, however, find a ground strap that is connected to the passenger side firewall, and the other end was just hanging down. I am thinking perhaps I jiggled it loose when I was messing with the battery cables and thats the problem? anyone happen to know where thats supposed to be connected to? if thats not the problem, any ideas where I should go from here?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Posting Guru
1991 Ford Bronco

alxsnmr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Did you check the ignition wire leading to your starter selinoid to verify that it was putting power to the selinoid? What transmission do you have, this will also help in diagnoising the issue. As for the ground strap I am not sure, do you have a picture of it?

1991 Bronco silver anniversary, 5.8L EFI, E4OD swapped for C-6, custom trimmed rear fenders finished in rust.

2009 Fusion SE 2.3L 5spd Red/black cloth n leather
Old 08-31-2009, 07:26 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxsnmr View Post
Did you check the ignition wire leading to your starter selinoid to verify that it was putting power to the selinoid? What transmission do you have, this will also help in diagnoising the issue. As for the ground strap I am not sure, do you have a picture of it?
I suppose I could take a picture of it.....kinda dark out now though. My truck has an automatic
Old 08-31-2009, 07:34 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

Someone else posted this picture....this is the one I am talking about. Would this being disconnected cause it not to start though?

http://rjackson.us/matt/losewire.jpg
Old 08-31-2009, 08:41 PM
Posting Guru
1991 Ford Bronco

alxsnmr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It wouldnt hurt to have it attached to either the bellhousing or a bolt on the upper intake manifold. I dont think it would be enough to create a no start but I have been wrong before.

I would verify that power is getting across the selinoid by trying to jump it across the battery and ignition switch posts. You can jump it between the battery and starter but that will be alot of juice flowing and welding things together.

1991 Bronco silver anniversary, 5.8L EFI, E4OD swapped for C-6, custom trimmed rear fenders finished in rust.

2009 Fusion SE 2.3L 5spd Red/black cloth n leather
Old 08-31-2009, 08:50 PM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

FordxFour has a very good reputation on FTE.FordxFour has a very good reputation on FTE.FordxFour has a very good reputation on FTE.FordxFour has a very good reputation on FTE.
I just went out and looked. The strap on my 92' goes from the firewall to a bracket on the side of the engine that supports 2 of the egr lines. My negative terminal also has an extra cable that is attached to the body right beside the battery.
In 5 minutes someone opened the door, popped the hood, started the truck, broke the heated seats and stole your horn and then just left? Where the hell do you live??
05' X-LTD V10/4.30's_____92' F-250 4x4 351w 5sp.
01' X-LTD 7.3 PSD_______99' F-450 7.3 6sp. Western Hauler
Old 09-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Post Fiend
Garage is empty, add now

subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
The ground strap goes to any good ground on the engine.

Make sure the large NEG cable from the battery has a good ground on the engine block (not the frame) or it can burn the ground strap off.
There is a lug bolted on the frame on this cable about half way to the engine but this is just a ground if you are pulling a trailer.

Sounds like you have a bad spade connector down on the starter if you have a good engine block ground.
Just cut back about one inch of wire, strip it and crimp on a new spade connector..
Click the image to open in full size.

/
77 F250 351M-2V NP 435/4 Speed 4X4
subford@gmail.com
Bill K, Kansas Chapter
Old 09-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Junior User
1979 Ford F-150
My Garage

Normmus is starting off with a positive reputation.
On my truck (92) that wire goes from the firewall as yours does, to a stud on the manifold.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:28 AM
Freshman User
Garage is empty, add now

4x4truckdriver is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would check all your grounds as well, my truck many of them are rusted off or corroded so bad I'm sure they are not making a good connection.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:28 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1986, 460, 91, battery, bronco, cable, cables, f150, ford, ground, grounding, location, strap, straps, truck, wire