6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

'04 6.0 - Crankshaft Pos. sensor and Camshaft Pos.sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 02:43 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Besides checking for continuity also check to ground. You could have an intack wire that is grounded.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:47 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Besides checking for continuity also check to ground. You could have an intact wire that is grounded.
Thanks......you got back to him before I could fix mine. I just plain forgot.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:57 PM
cabinman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whooooo HOOOOO !!! :-) purrs like a kitten again

Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Another suggestion is that you might take an ohm meter and check each of the wires for continuity. That requires being able to get only to each end, but it can help. I don't think your crank PS or wire is bad as you're getting an RPM signal, right? Pulling that tensioner might be an absolute bitch.

Broken ribs??? OMG. I wouldn't even want to attempt it. I had severely bruised ribs so I know how painful it is to attempt what you're doing.
THE BEAST RUNS. ok so the end of the story IS - Failed Camshaft sensor !!

Thanks so much everyone who helped. As Bismic mis understood, I AM Greatful for all those who read these posts and tried to help, amazing bunch of people on here... My only suggestion is that in all the reading I did, almost everyone agrees that the cam and crank sensor failures are rare BUT they are so cheap it's worth investigating. And yes npccpartsman,, I did this with two broken, not fractured/cracked but broken ribs without the aid of morphine so it's been a crappy situation, especially given my truck has a 4" lift and every option available at the time so the engine is crammed with stuff, not to mention the stuff I added on.. Incidentally I was in an accident that caused the broken ribs and was picking up my co injured at the hospital when the truck died in the parking lot !! what a day, and it was 115 F out that day and you guessed it BLACK TRUCK . man o man.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:30 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

That's way cool. Glad I could help. I learned to repair cause I don't have the $$ to replace always. My best teachers have been diagnosticians who would have crawled my rearend for just going out and "wasting" money on new parts without finding out why. That's why I come here.....to LEARN and to HELP.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:49 PM
cabinman
Senior User
That's way cool. Glad I could help. I learned to repair cause I don't have the $$ to replace always. My best teachers have been diagnosticians who would have crawled my rearend for just going out and "wasting" money on new parts without finding out why. That's why I come here.....to LEARN and to HELP.

Yes, me too, with just having had our wedding a week ago and all the other normal expenses, I can't just run to the dealer. The last time this thing broke down, I was on an island, no tow truck, no diesel tech, nobody with even half a clue what could be wrong. A thousand dollars later, I was on Vancouver Island where miraculously it just fixed itself, I think the cam sensor was the problem then too, just it was intermittent as it was this time. So part of this whole experience is becoming self sufficient, might be 200 miles in the bush next time. At least I'll have what I have learned and my AE scanner next time !

Old 09-01-2009, 03:53 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by cabinman
Yes, me too, with just having had our wedding a week ago and all the other normal expenses, I can't just run to the dealer. The last time this thing broke down, I was on an island, no tow truck, no diesel tech, nobody with even half a clue what could be wrong. A thousand dollars later, I was on Vancouver Island where miraculously it just fixed itself, I think the cam sensor was the problem then too, just it was intermittent as it was this time. So part of this whole experience is becoming self sufficient, might be 200 miles in the bush next time. At least I'll have what I have learned and my AE scanner next time !
LOL--and after my experience with the same thing last week I'll have a spare one in the truck when $$ allows. Kinda like the 7.3 guys have to.....

Old 09-01-2009, 04:55 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
As I said before npccpartsman - it is great to have you posting here again!!

cabinman - glad you got it worked out and running. Also, no misunderstanding on my part. I know you appreciate the help ... but reading THIS thread, it was sparse on the thanks (and yes I did read it all, and your other one). It was LONG on the description of how dissatisfied you are. It is certainly understandable, but many people probably could offer some help but do not take the time to read through all that. Npccpartsman, 69cj, ljutic ss, jboczar - all are to be complimented for sticking with you - expecially npccpartsman.

Bottom line - a no-start can be a bear to troubleshoot ...... even for the techs. Congratulations to you for your persistance and for solving the problem. Lots of good advice got posted from your experience! Hopefully others will be helped by this thread also.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:55 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cabinman, Didn't mean to get on your case earlier, yes I did, It is easier to help people asking for advice than it is to help people condemning the rides that we like and for the most part have had good luck with. Don't know if I'm lucky or what but aside from 1 turbo my truck has been almost flawless. I am not a tech, I am a backyard mech. learning along with most of the other people here. I will help when I can and learn most of the time. I have learned that questions get more answers than griping.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:47 PM
cabinman
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
Cabinman, Didn't mean to get on your case earlier, yes I did, It is easier to help people asking for advice than it is to help people condemning the rides that we like and for the most part have had good luck with. Don't know if I'm lucky or what but aside from 1 turbo my truck has been almost flawless. I am not a tech, I am a backyard mech. learning along with most of the other people here. I will help when I can and learn most of the time. I have learned that questions get more answers than griping.
Fair enough but there are a lot more problems with this 6.0 than most engines and there's little debating that. Maybe it's considered griping by some but I think the faster people find out about inferior products the better. We are not talking about a poor decision on a cheap tv set worth a few hundred or maybe a thousand dollars.

Do you know that in BC, Ford is almost and maybe exclusively used for our ambulances ? There are a lot of people who have lost loved ones because the 6.0 had so many issues in it's inception and many have broken down en route, not good. The droves of trucks Ford had to buy back are proof of that. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck too and for the most part, it's been good and it's my 3rd Ford, but make no mistake, I bought a '99 7.3 diesel for when my 6.0 broke down because I knew it was only a matter of time. I don't hear too many people complaining about their Cummins.. oops did I say that out loud ?? me bad !!! And further proof of how much people do to keep them going is having a look at everyones tag lines, racor or Amsoil bypass filters, removed EGR cooler, arp head studs, reprogrammed ficm, SCT tuner ( etc ) and on and on. If they were great and bulletproof, there'd be no need for all this stuff. BUT I do love my truck ( when it's running ) LOL...