1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

8 or 10 ply / D or E load range? Big O Mesa A/P & Big Foot?

Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
8 or 10 ply / D or E load range? Big O Mesa A/P & Big Foot?

I thought I had stock tires on my truck, but it has 285/75/R16's on it. I believe they're an 8 ply / D load range tire. Ford says to use nothing lower than a 10 ply / E load range tire. I do notice on my truck that the fronts seem to bubble out more than the rears due to the weight of that motor. Right now, the tires are inflated to 55psi all around.

This truck is used for work and I don't care about have the widest tire that will fit under it or the best looking tread pattern. It's a daily driver and is our work vehicle. We depend on it for our income. It has the stock Ford aluminum alloys on it. It typically has around 1000lbs in the bed. We do tow our 3 horses in a 4 horse stock trailer. We work regardless of the weather and do travel up some nasty mountain roads in the winter.

Big O Tire nearby has never steered me wrong and I will be buying my tires through them. He said lots of folks go with the 8 ply 285/75/16's over the 265/75/16's to spread the weight out a bit more. I asked him about Michelins and said not to bother wasting my money. He actually recommended their Big O Mesa A/P tire which is made by Dunlop and the Big O Big Foot. I think the Big Foot is made by Dunlop as well. He said the Mesa has a slightly harder compound than the Big Foot.

Does anyone have experience with the aforementioned Mesa A/P or Big Foot tires? What's a good all season tire that will perform well in the hot sun, rain and snow and for towing? Should I go back to the stock size tire or stick with the 285/75/16 8plys?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:14 AM
HH60FE
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've don't know why he's steering you away from the Michelins. I've got em on my truck and these things won't wear out! I can't remember what they are waranteed to, but 70k or more isn't uncommon. They are a street tire, but I've been off road with em and haven't had any issues. Not a mud tire at all, but... My .2 cents worth.
I don't know about the other tires. No experience with them.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:45 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never used the tires you are talking about. The reason for steering away from Michelins is normally the cost, there are several other tire companies that make a quality product for less. I like the Micheling though, and would recomend them. I also have the blue collar pay check, so I dont use them. I have had luck with the Dunlops, but now normally steer towards the Toyo AT's. You will find several opinions on this subject, and I would recomend that if you trust your tire company, go with it. Rememeber, your tire company wants you back, so they are not going to send you in a direction that will not serve you, if they want your buisness back.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:55 AM
HH60FE
Posting Guru
Good answer.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:04 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
That's sort of how I feel about it too. He said Michelins are just not worth the extra money here and don't hold up much longer than the others. He said that the newer Michelins aren't holding up as well as the older model and their wet and winter traction has gone way down. Also, he mentioned Sumitomos are good tires. I have never heard of them.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:36 AM
koabob
Freshman User
I am on my second set of Machilnes 70,000 on first set good tires. I would stay with load range E tires and run more air in them. I run 80 psi loaded 65-70 psi unloaded.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:37 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have run Michelins on my truck for a long time now. I would not buy another tire. Does he sell Michleins?

EDIT: These trucks came from the factory with E rated tires. You will get more side wall heat with the D rated tires while towing.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:42 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Yes, they sell Michelin tires at Big O Tire. They're in their "Premium" section.

In regards to more heat in the sidewall with D range tires, I notice after we're driving around for a bit or if it's really hot out, the tires look flatter in the front.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:48 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

If you're always towing/hauling something with your truck on the highway, then I would recommend Load E tires.
I've got 295's that are load D's and have towed 18k+ with them before (tractor & trailer), just have to make sure they are up on PSI. But I also use it in mud, snow, and everything else, so I wanted the bigger tire.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:58 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

I have had no experience with the mentioned tires you are looking at.I do know,just like you,that tires that are run on gravel/rock will not hold up as long as ones used on pavement most of their lives.With this said,I do not see paying the price for a high dollar tire for off-road use/work.I bet you can get a good tire,that will do what you do for less money.I have run ''D'' for a long time on and off-road,w/trailers and they have done fine.I wanted a more aggressive pattern as well so I run a XTR....Just my .02.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:58 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
So the 285's will have better traction in the snow over the 265's because they have a larger footprint. Hmmm... maybe 285's with an E load rating. Probably $$$$$.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:07 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
I disagree, the more narrow the foot print, the better traction when comes to snow.. Or the more aggressive the tread, because you push snow away from the lugs. But if you have a big ol foot print, with non aggressive tires, you are putting more snow under your tire ( for lack of a better term ) so you end up riding on the snow, instead of pushing it to the side, or into the depth of your tread with the aggresive tires.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:10 PM
krejci.mike
Senior User
Originally Posted by mechelement
So the 285's will have better traction in the snow over the 265's because they have a larger footprint. Hmmm... maybe 285's with an E load rating. Probably $$$$$.
This is what I just got. 285/75/16 E rated, but they are BFG all terrains. I got them for $200 each from discount tire.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:15 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by just another truck
I disagree, the more narrow the foot print, the better traction when comes to snow.. Or the more aggressive the tread, because you push snow away from the lugs. But if you have a big ol foot print, with non aggressive tires, you are putting more snow under your tire ( for lack of a better term ) so you end up riding on the snow, instead of pushing it to the side, or into the depth of your tread with the aggresive tires.
I have Super Swampers on my YJ and they have very aggressive tread. I can't move a foot forward on a snow covered road in 4WD or with the lockers engaged. They key is siping. A siped tire allows snow to get in the siping. Snow on snow provides better traction than rubber on snow. I believe that's the theory anyway.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:37 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
I do not have enough info to even continue, so I am taking the week way out and just stand back and watch this thread then..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 8 or 10 ply / D or E load range? Big O Mesa A/P & Big Foot?